Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Anyone else have this problem?

I had to turn the boost all the way down to WG spring pressure (10psi on my Tial 38) because I was just speeding too much. I thought I was careful and had enough self control after driving 944s for 5 years etc but In those years of driving, I was not pulled over/ticketed for speeding even once, but 3x in the past month I got nabbed! Luckily, I know somebody that is able to help me out in those situations, but I went 5 years without needing the name and I was hoping to go more.

The passing power/mid range of these cars (at least modded, never any other 951) is ridiculous compared to a na and addicting. It seems like the more power available, the faster I want to go. Now at 10psi, the car feels slow (haven't gone above 65mph) but I think its for the better..
Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wow! I am at 13 psi but still obey the speed limits until I see an opportunity to go wide open throttle!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome to the dark side, Mike.

I recommend track events.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i got three tickets in three years w/ the car. Usually when the weather breaks and the first nice day i drive the car i get a ticket. Hard to resist. Track time cures this for awhile though.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:12 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone can speed, I haven't had a ticket in over 2 years, and yet I am still doing over 100 in the mornings when I am running a little late to work! The boost is for acceleration, for getting to that desired speed (within limits), so to me it makes no difference whether you set it to 10 or 15 psi, that only changes the boost pressure, and you're only fooling yourself...enjoy the acceleration, that's not illegal, speeding is!!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I've read several articles recently about states giving out more and more tickets to make up for tax revenues lost to the bad economy.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:28 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ +1

In my little po-dunk town the number of cops on patrol has doubled (seriously) and not a day goes by now that I don't see them pulling over someone. Be careful out there, gentlemen ...
Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's definitely more of a presence of radar/speed traps recently in OC. There's this "golden" hour of drive time when traffic is non-existent and the cruisers are in transition. It's early, but much safer for everyone. Interestingly enough I've never received a ticket in the P-car in three years...much different story during the week when I'm driving from one end of the county to the other trying to make a scheduled appointment, generally running behind schedule and in a hurry. That's when I get the ticket Two in 18 months, just finished a "Level 2" traffic school. Need to watch my rearview more.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
mylesfast
Instructor

I have to follow my own advice but get a radar detector, even crappy models are better than nothing. Or pony up and get best like a Bel STI driver or Valentine One.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Don't be a pansy mike, get a radar detector and 20psi baby!
Old 02-15-2009, 02:36 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mylesfast
I have to follow my own advice but get a radar detector, even crappy models are better than nothing. Or pony up and get best like a Bel STI driver or Valentine One.
It will only earn you another ticket here, State troopers and most localities in VA are using instant on or VASCAR (pacing), in VA the detector will only be confiscated, and earn you another ticket for having it turned on... I commute from Richmond to Northern VA, and in 3 1/2 years only got one speeding ticket (broken Speedometer, judge reduced the charge after showing it had been repaired).

Best solution I have found is stay below 80, as that is the threshold for Wreckless here, and the fines are so low below that, no one gets pulled over on the highway for doing 75 in a 65 (watch out for 66 north of Manassas and 95 north of woodbridge as they are both 55 zones with LOTS of police).
Old 02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike i had a clean record for almost 5 years before i got my 951. A month after owning it i was coming home from school and going through the toll plaza on the Throggs Neck Bridge southbound. It was pretty much empty, so i decided to 'get on it' a little bit as i came through the EZPass lane. I hit about 90mph before i lifted and as i was coasting down saw the all too familiar Crown Vic headlights in my rear view mirror. He caught up with me about 1/2 way across the bridge while i was basically just cruising right at the speed limit. As soon as i got onto the Cross Island he threw the lights on and gave me two tickets, 25mph over (i was going alot faster than that!) and failure to signal. So in 1 month of owning my 951 i basically racked up 8 points on my license... . I have since mellowed out alot. I pretty much do the speed limit everywhere i go, i just save it for the track now! It was probably good that it happened because it really was a slap in the face to slow it down. It also dosent help the car is loud as hell (even without the external dump!) and nice and visible Guards Red. Anyhow i took that insurance class and am bumped down to 4 of the 11 magical DMV points.. they will go away in another 6 months thankfully. The lesson learned was slow it down unless i want to loose my license or i am in a different state other than NY.

One thing that amazed me is my insurance rates barely changed at all. Ive had Geico since i started driving and had a completley clean record prior to that. I informed them of the two tickets before i renewed my policy and they basically told me not to worry about it, being i had a clean record for so long they will not penalize me too much. I ended up just loosing my 5-year good driver discount which i think was only 5% or so.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Funny enough I have had more than a dozen speeding tickets in almost as many states, and only one of them has been in either of the 2 951's I have owned. I have had more tickets in my toyota rav4. Automatics kill me every time.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM
mylesfast
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
It will only earn you another ticket here, State troopers and most localities in VA are using instant on or VASCAR (pacing), in VA the detector will only be confiscated, and earn you another ticket for having it turned on...

Best solution I have found is stay below 80, as that is the threshold for Wreckless here, and the fines are so low below that, no one gets pulled over on the highway for doing 75 in a 65 (watch out for 66 north of Manassas and 95 north of woodbridge as they are both 55 zones with LOTS of police).
ah 66, so true about staying below 80. I travel that road almost daliy.
Both the bel sti & valentine can detect against instant on radar,
However I was under the impression that the cops cant take your detector only fine you for possesion.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mylesfast
ah 66, so true about staying below 80. I travel that road almost daliy.
Both the bel sti & valentine can detect against instant on radar,
However I was under the impression that the cops cant take your detector only fine you for possesion.
Sorry for the Thread Jack
Municipal code of Virginia
§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors

"A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

"This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

"Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated."

Now back to originally scheduled thread....

Quick Reply: Anyone else have this problem?