Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anybody ever used these hybrid trans mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 PM
mylesfast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody ever used these hybrid trans mount

Been think of switching my solid trans mount to oem style. I ran across a hybird of the two types

Anybody have an experience with them, or am I going to have test them out ?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...5-on)%2C%20968
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

ill buy your solid trans mount
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I almost bought one of those.

I bought the Lindsey instead.

Haven't finished the car so have no experience with either.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the old trick of packing my original mount with 3M Window Weld. It still has some flexibility, but much, much less than stock. It's been that way for years and is doing fine. Grand total cost ~$20. Highly recommended.

West
Old 02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

IMO that is the best trans mount you will ever buy as are their engine mounts.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one last week but I will not be able to test it for at least another 2 months

I would appreciate feedback also from anyone that tried it.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Tms951
Pro

I have been looking for something like that for a long time. The Solid one is more noise than I really want, though I kept it because the noise was better than having to replace uber expensive motorsport axles I run. To me this looks like it should still keep things from breaking.

I however don't want to be the one to find out, any volanteers to put this on thier car and go out and do a bunch of hard launches? If I was on stock axles I would, I just don't want to wreck what I have in there now.

I mostly likely will buy it though and take the chance, unless I get it and it feels flimsier than it looks in the picture.

I also think people (like me) were grenadeing axles because on top of having a stock trans mount it was old and trashed.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tms951
I have been looking for something like that for a long time. The Solid one is more noise than I really want, though I kept it because the noise was better than having to replace uber expensive motorsport axles I run. To me this looks like it should still keep things from breaking.

I however don't want to be the one to find out, any volanteers to put this on thier car and go out and do a bunch of hard launches? If I was on stock axles I would, I just don't want to wreck what I have in there now.

I mostly likely will buy it though and take the chance, unless I get it and it feels flimsier than it looks in the picture.

I also think people (like me) were grenadeing axles because on top of having a stock trans mount it was old and trashed.

Change the axles and test.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:05 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the solid one from Lindsey. Will get installed in a week or two with the new trans in the race car. I'm not really worried about the noise... just want as little rubber as possible.

For a street car that thing does look nice but is $$$.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Tms951

Do you do a bunch of hard launches yourself?
Tell more about those axles? Do you have any pics? How Uber is Uber? Have you broken axles in the past or just CVs?
Old 02-13-2009, 03:02 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I just bought the solid one from Lindsey. Will get installed in a week or two with the new trans in the race car. I'm not really worried about the noise... just want as little rubber as possible.

For a street car that thing does look nice but is $$$.
Usually the Cost doesn't faze me much if it's a good part. Looking at that mount I have to agree that $224 excluding shipping is a lot for some metal and rubber!
I'd also be very interested in anyone's report who has run this part nonetheless...
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

That looks like a very nice piece, and one that will provide solid location without the downside of solid mounts.

Here's an alternative that I've been using in hard racing conditions for some years. It works very well, and it's a low cost solution.

There's a thread with more details HERE
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Wallace
Racer

Originally Posted by APKhaos
That looks like a very nice piece, and one that will provide solid location without the downside of solid mounts.

Here's an alternative that I've been using in hard racing conditions for some years. It works very well, and it's a low cost solution.

There's a thread with more details HERE
Thanks Tony for the write-up.
I'm looking at replacing my trans mount, but I think I will do this instead.
I can feel my tranny moving around a lot.

I looked on McMaster website, and there are a bunch of different urethane adhesives, and it doesn't list he Rockwell hardness. Do you have the McMaster part #, or brand name of the Urethane you used?

I know lots of Honda guys use the 3M Window Weld for filling their motor mounts.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
IMO that is the best trans mount you will ever buy as are their engine mounts.
Ask me how I know? vvv

Originally Posted by schwank
...For a street car that thing does look nice but is $$$.
Yes, street car only, still too soft for track use.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
...I'd also be very interested in anyone's report who has run this part nonetheless...
I have used this part on my street car and it works very well. I checked before & after fitting and I get much less movement with very liitle change in noise levels. My old mounts were really shot though, so I haven't compared them to new factory mounts.

I think they would still be too soft for a dedicated track car and where noise levels are not important, but for a street car I have found nothing better. I have tried a solid mount and a modified factory mount in the past, but I found the noise levels too much for road use on both of these options. It's frightening how noisy these transmissions are!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:15 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Here you go - enter 8644K11 into the search box at the McMaster Carr home page

The compounds are rated by Shore hardness, not Rockwell hardness. My bad!

Quick Reply: Anybody ever used these hybrid trans mount