Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CPRacing: V3 Splitter/PICS....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:53 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony,
I always respect your opinions but I have to disagree with your assessment a little. Your comment "it's got to move air out from under the car" isn't entirely true. Its role is to prevent air from pushed under the car as the nose pushes through the air. So theoretically even at 6" there is a benefit. As the air is forced down along the face of the bumper its prevented from going under and forced either around the sides and over the top. So one could argue that the air that a splitter handles changes very little when changing the height off the ground. Its a sum of air determined by the frontal area and shape of the vehicle. You're right that lowering the car has aerodynamic value, but not because there's a splitter on there. This is also why a splitter has far greater efficiency value than a very low air dam.

Last edited by daigo; 02-10-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick said:
-the unit will not "buckle" under any speed attainable by these cars with or without supports...it is impossible. Yes impossible.
-Technically the sheer point of the hardware would be more relevant than the unit buckling...
Patrick,
If this splitter will retain its shape up to say 150MPH, then are the supports actually required? I think there's a way to make them work if they are required, but it would be a far better solution if they were not required of were optional.

The supports need to be mounted to structure to avoid tearing up the nose when the splitter gets hit [which it will, especially if Tony G gets his way and mounts it with 5mm ground clearance ] Essentially, a race splitter is a consumable. replacing a damaged splitter is OK, and I guess even replacing damaged supports is OK, but replacing a nose every time is not.

I'm not trying to propose a solution - you are clearly doing a very nice job of that. Hopefully, this will provide a different perspective on what actually matters to racers, and maybe some inspiration for a solution that is a good match to those needs.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess my point is getting lost somewhere as I will not be flying out to everyones garage to install these....so:

-The unit is not pre-drilled for the supports, so if you do not want to install them do not.
-The purchaser/driver/team is responsible for mounting them to a suitable structure. There are several, several locations. Choose what suits you best.
-I recommend using the supports for the obvious benefit, but again, if you do not...than do not.

The unit and associated hardware is, exactly what it is, A very dependable, economical OPTION to what is currently available today.

It will not be for everyone.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daigo
Tony,
I always respect your opinions but I have to disagree with your assessment a little. Your comment "it's got to move air out from under the car" isn't entirely true. Its role is to prevent air from pushed under the car as the nose pushes through the air. So theoretically even at 6" there is a benefit. As the air is forced down along the face of the bumper its prevented from going under and forced either around the sides and over the top. So one could argue that the air that a splitter handles changes very little when changing the height off the ground. Its a sum of air determined by the frontal area and shape of the vehicle. You're right that lowering the car has aerodynamic value, but not because there's a splitter on there. This is also why a splitter has far greater efficiency value than a very low air dam.
What you said is correct, however it does not take into consideration the under-the-car aerodynamics, which on a 951, and even more... a 951 with a big exhaust system, are severely lacking compared to new sports cars.

Under-the-car aero plays a big part in how the car handles at speed as well as contributing to drag.

Given the condition of the bottom of the 951, the less air under the car the better. And that's the reason I want the splitter lower to the ground.

TonyG
Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Patrick,
If this splitter will retain its shape up to say 150MPH, then are the supports actually required? I think there's a way to make them work if they are required, but it would be a far better solution if they were not required of were optional.
That's why I asked if the support were even needed...

The supports need to be mounted to structure to avoid tearing up the nose when the splitter gets hit [which it will, especially if Tony G gets his way and mounts it with 5mm ground clearance ] Essentially, a race splitter is a consumable. replacing a damaged splitter is OK, and I guess even replacing damaged supports is OK, but replacing a nose every time is not.
Exactly my point.

TonyG
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

The reason I asked about the supports is that I always have in mind, the front of my '86 IROC.... in which the front lower factory spoiler would actually fold under at high speed, which then causes a lot of lift, which is real bad.

I've not seen this splitter, other than a couple of pics, so I was just asking. I guess the question becomes, "how rigid is it".

With respect to the supports and the splitter being consumable.... Yes, the splitter is consumable, but if you get the supports to something solid, the splitter will take a lot more abuse before it's "consumed". But in no way should the consumption of a splitter take out other body panels when it does occur. That's why you'd probably want to support to the actual aluminum bumper behind the bumper skin.

TonyG
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

your product looks really innovative,

good job
Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

When are these things shipping? Check your pm.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

^^So you want a race version now??^^
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

AWWWWW you will not drive up 40 miles to install mine??? I guess you can just drop it off then
Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333

TonyG
Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333

I'm buying 5 of each so I can sell them on ebay. I hope to double my investment so I can afford more beer and cheap hookers.. I can't wait for the governments stimulas package so, I have to create my own.

Actually, I would have just bought the race version if I knew it was coming out so soon but thats ok, I don't mind supporting RL sponsors. This looks like a great product.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Is the new version actually available to purchase?

TonyG
Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a mean looking splitter Pat. I would be interested to see verticle supports vs diagonal.. mostly for looks .
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Is the new version actually available to purchase?

TonyG
Yep...ships out around Feb. 25/26th

Quick Reply: CPRacing: V3 Splitter/PICS....