Gear to gear boost changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gear to gear boost changes

I had a broken intake stud from a previous job when I put in a wastegate shim, manual boost controller and Vitesse chip.

I had the boost turned all the way up by mistake and developed a vacuum leak that I believe was at the broken stud.
I pulled everything and drilled and tapped for a new stud. I've got everything back together and it seems to be running fine.

I do have one thing that seems strange. The boost was increasing a little as I went from 1st to 2nd to third, etc. Now it increases a lot from gear to gear. I see 10 in first, 12 in second, 14 in third, and 17 in fourth. Is this normal with a Lindsey MBC and Vitesse chips?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm I would like to know this too. On my car with lindsey chips and the lbe I see 10 in 1st 12 in second and 15-16 in 3 and 4.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you running a maf setup or an afm?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

What did you used to see before through the gears? It's normal to have less boost in the lower gears but you should see max by 3rd, even 2nd.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The chips/maf have no bearing on your boost.

This is all your boost controller. Like 333 said, from 3rd gear for sure(should be 2nd also)
you should see the same boost within 1 psi.

You need to set your max boost in 3rd or 4th gear and then you will be fine and only see a little less in the lower gears.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Dude that is awesome.(as long as your car can handle it) Boost by gear you can actually put better power to the ground that way.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tuning affects boost to some degree. However the boost controller is in control! 3rd or 4th gear is about the only way to determine the boost settings (I prefer 4th). The trick is to get the engine under load. Outside temps could affect the results, depending on the boost controller in use.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spoolin51
Dude that is awesome.(as long as your car can handle it) Boost by gear you can actually put better power to the ground that way.
Not if they are not tuned for that.

Otherwise they will be rich in the lower gears and lean in the upper gears; not good.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I'm using the factory afm with the Vitesse chips. It is running great, I was just wondering about the bigger changes in my boost levels and if this was normal.

I'm doing WOT runs on a straight road to see the levels listed in my first post.(it's way out in the desert with very little traffic for you safety ****') I'm granny shifting since my clutch seems to be slipping a lot more with the extra power.(Thanks John)
Fast shifts into second sometimes get wheel spin and sometimes get clutch slip. It was much colder when I was testing yesterday. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Vitesse+MBC+295 tires+old clutch=

I'm babying it until I get the new clutch in.

My idle went up to 1200 rpm after I ran it with the boost set too high. I turned the boost down to 16 in fourth. I noticed the increased idle a couple days later. I asked Jeremy Himsel about it and he told me to check for vacuum leaks. I was only seeing about 1 psi difference before I took it all apart and fixed the stud/leak. Now I'm seeing 2-3 psi per gear.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:37 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
I'm using the factory afm with the Vitesse chips. It is running great, I was just wondering about the bigger changes in my boost levels and if this was normal.

I'm doing WOT runs on a straight road to see the levels listed in my first post.(it's way out in the desert with very little traffic for you safety ****') I'm granny shifting since my clutch seems to be slipping a lot more with the extra power.(Thanks John) Fast shifts into second sometimes get wheel spin and sometimes get clutch slip. It was much colder when I was testing yesterday. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Vitesse+MBC+295 tires+old clutch= I'm babying it until I get the new clutch in.

My idle went up to 1200 rpm after I ran it with the boost set too high. I turned the boost down to 16 in fourth. I noticed the increased idle a couple days later. I asked Jeremy Himsel about it and he told me to check for vacuum leaks. I was only seeing about 1 psi difference before I took it all apart and fixed the stud/leak. Now I'm seeing 2-3 psi per gear.
Sounds like you have other issues. Boost setting/control would not affect idle.

And colder temps will usually result in 1-3psi higher boost especially in the upper gears.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Sounds like you have other issues. Boost setting/control would not affect idle.

And colder temps will usually result in 1-3psi higher boost especially in the upper gears.
I fixed the broken intake stud which fixed the high idle. The broken intake stud is where the vacuum leak developed. Cold is a rare thing here in Phoenix. I'll wait two days until it's hot again and check it again.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a 26/8 and complete Vitesse MAF kit with piggyback. I happen to know someone selling it, but the turbo could be gone any minute.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
You need a 26/8 and complete Vitesse MAF kit with piggyback. I happen to know someone selling it, but the turbo could be gone any minute.
You are correct but I do not have the funds available at this point. I'd love to buy them especially at a great price but I've got to finish getting the parts together for my rebuild before I buy upgrades. I picked up a cup pressure plate and 930 disk to replace my fading clutch. I got a great deal on it from another lister.

Would the person selling these take sexual favors from Jeremy in payment?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am too grossed out to come up with a witty reply
Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Whose selling? for what injectors?

Quick Reply: Gear to gear boost changes