jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is sick.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep going, we want pictures on track. Love the wing.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 AM
95ONE
Race Car

quite a bit away from the track... but here she is, all prepped and ready for 3 stages of paint. It's a lot of the same old same old that you have already seen, but it's something. I bought the wrong "grey" it is suppose to be bright silver.. It was a medium grey. So that won't go on until Saturday, and the lower front spoiler has to be re-painted. Glad I caught that. My fault and not double checking and doing 3 things at once. Easily fixed though. I am NOT the painter, so I shoulda checked it first. Not his fault. I did throw down the design tape though. It took a few trys to get smooth with it. 90% of the gray /SILVER hasn't been painted yet, so not too bad. Anyway. Here she is with the line drawn in for reference on color and fading. You honestly won't have a real clue what it will end up looking like by referring to the lines. LOL. So I have no fear in showing. But it is huge progress. Prepping and sanding is 60% of the painting process, so she's more than half way there.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-24-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Ahh, you couldn't hang on until the paint huh...heheh...I want to see more of what's going on in the front aero. Specifically where those canards are leading into? I'm liking the vent over the wheels. Glad to see someone has done it. Keep going Bruce. Not too far now.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Nope. Couldn't wait!.

I've been reading all the time trial rules and set ups.

I then started to do the math on what kind of lap times I should be expecting. I used my experience, from about a DECADE ago, when I used to drive my NSX around TWS like I had 3 spare cars and a life resett button. (younger/naive). And used my very little experience with the old set up on low boost. I ran 2 minutes at TWS, not downshifting, chatting with my instructor, and waiting behind 3 cars in traffic, before they could waive me by. (we coould only pass on certain straights). My math told me I shouldbe getting a 1:46 with somewhat aggressive driving.

So I started up the research on what times these guys were getting around TWS during last year's competition. I first saw some 2010 times and they were in the 1:49 range. Not a big deal at that level/class of car, and felt an easy victory was in store next year. Then I found the beginning of 2011..1:48 and high.1:47's...ok, ill have to really get some time in at the end of this year.
Then I found the most recent 2012 TWS time Trial this past April...1:46.9...hmmmmmmm. I'm going to have to aim for low 1:40's...I know most on this forum...racing forum, will call me out on these numbers and sarcastically wish me luck. They don't recognize or remember me from way back then, or the hadn't really started driving at the track until I had stopped going. Maybe the remember me 3 yrs ago tip toeing around the track, fearing my new unproven car,carefully watching temps and pressures. All I can say to them is I will be 1:49 or quicker within a few sessions of final test and tune. 1:46 s within 2-3 sessions after that. From there, I will have to decide if faster is in my best interest. Not if I can do it. - crashing/budget/mortality!. The guys I see ill be competing with make at least 3xs my income, but more realistically 10xs. So I will have to check my bounds. But not before I make 1:46's look easy.. Of course, I plan on the car doing all the work. 8D. I really won't have to be a fantastic driver. Just smooth and smart. My baby should do the rest.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-24-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be at the top of the heap in no time. The car is very well built and you're a smart guy. Good luck and I can't wait to see this thing in action!!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice, sir. Haven't really seen the air scoop before so that is something different.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 PM
95ONE
Race Car

The scoop is a whole lotta nuthin. I'm not sure if it will push air into the cabin, or pull it out. Time will tell.

Thanks Sid. My track mapping and data logger should be here early next week. I can't wait to overlay the mph onto the video so u guys cam see the acceleration. It should be pretty unbelievable. Especially in the 60-150mph range. I appreciate and need the words of encouragement. Thanks again! Go turn up boost and run 11's man.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Lol, I plan on it... But I'm not going to turn up the boost. I'm going to a slightly lower elevation. We shall see. Going tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Fredrik H
Instructor

Just gotta chime in and say I really like what you are doing with this build!

/Fredrik
Old 08-25-2012, 04:05 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by blown 944
Lol, I plan on it... But I'm not going to turn up the boost. I'm going to a slightly lower elevation. We shall see. Going tomorrow.
I hope you're out there right now breakin records sir. especially mine. If you don't, you should STILL turn up the boost to do it.

Originally Posted by Fredrik H
Just gotta chime in and say I really like what you are doing with this build!

/Fredrik

Wow. Awesome. Some pretty fantastic stuff has come out of over there! So it means a lot. Keep on lookin. All the pretty stuff is coming.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I finally have something painted that I could take out into the sun today. The lower front bumper in the picture of post #288 is the SAME COLOR. I worked very hard to get this color right, and I was completely nervous... until today. Relieved. It does exactly what I wanted. It looks black in the shadows, and shines so tasty in the sun. A metallic steel with touch of blue hue. Nailed it. - I tried to copy how carbon fiber shines in the light but looks black in the shadow. I added the blue hue. I just like that. Kinda like dark shark skin too. Really starting to like the Jawz name now - I'm pretty sure the silver I bought isn't as light as I should have got it though. (3 colors on car) It will look fine, just not exactly what I had in my head, or whats on the MP4-17 Mercedes McClaren F1 Car. I still have the red scallops and slashes to make happen.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really shouldn't make it so good looking...you'll wind up driving like a pansy.

I'm not familiar with TWS-- how is the runoff there? Honestly, most offs are due to poor driving, not because of the car (sounds like poor ol' Patrick is the notable exception)so just drive within your limits, tiptoe up to the edge, and peer across the line.

Btw what tires are you planning? Might be a good idea to stick with RComps or like a Direzza Star Spec while you get susp dialed in. Yes, you'll need to then make further adjustments later on when going to slicks but at least you will have more of a communicative tire underneath you while you get acquainted with the car. Man I wish I could be there to help set the car up. Gonna be super tedious but also really challenging and fun.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
You really shouldn't make it so good looking...you'll wind up driving like a pansy.

I'm not familiar with TWS-- how is the runoff there? Honestly, most offs are due to poor driving, not because of the car (sounds like poor ol' Patrick is the notable exception)so just drive within your limits, tiptoe up to the edge, and peer across the line.

Btw what tires are you planning? Might be a good idea to stick with RComps or like a Direzza Star Spec while you get susp dialed in. Yes, you'll need to then make further adjustments later on when going to slicks but at least you will have more of a communicative tire underneath you while you get acquainted with the car. Man I wish I could be there to help set the car up. Gonna be super tedious but also really challenging and fun.
Wow. I rarely get information that tells me so much about a persons experience. Sounds like we'd be great track buddies. Fantastic to hear good logic. And I absolutely agree. I thought about running some progressive street tires or the like to get the braking balance and handling traits all set up. But in the end, I decided to go after the tires I'm going to run, and use mid speed corners with good run off to test the limits. I am actually going to auto cross the car a few times and concentrate on the 60-70mph sweepers.
I have a few open areas that I have used as a skid pad and a figure 8 of varying sizes to get a feel for total grip and transitioning. Nothing but run off room. It also give me ideas of what it takes to get tires up to temps and and what temp they Goo up, and all the other personalities those little things can rear up with. Hoosier R6.. I might move to A6 for the Time trial runs once I get comfortable with the car.

You're so right though. I'm getting really worried about breaking her. My driving is going to have to be curbed way more than I want it to be. Many TWS areas are drop offs, ditches, or walls. Not a great practice track, but there is also MSR Houston. I will be going there as much as I can. Good run offs there. A couple wall corners, but I will slow it down there.

The Aero I've added will truly add a more complicated dimension to suspension tuning also. That will be dealt with last with the higher speed sweepers. Slowly working up to the "Aero" limits and dynamic personalities. Exactly as described by you as, "tip toe"-ing up to the edge.

The only part that bothers me about a completely new car on track days is the people who watch and think I'm driving my best even though I've explained the scenario. Lots of judging on capabilities while I'm just trying to look at 50 things and make sure the car is holding together on it's first few outtings. .. I think that frustrated me the most. I understand that none of them knew me, but them assuming my driving skill from "Allowing" me to run in blue group and watch me break in the car and stare at temps and worry about some sort of loose suspension piece ISN'T the way to decide that I need to STAY in the BLUE run group when I asked to be moved up! lol. (even when explaining I was running blue to go slow and watch the car for problems) I ran it a few times at my First Porsche event in years and felt like the 40yr old riding the toddler ride at Disney. I've never seen such traffic. To defend PCA They were nice enough to let me give an example run to qualify for yellow within a day of knowing me. (Weston Dillard is a shining star in that club. Super Nova really) I have to admit that was pretty fantastic. Because at that point, I myself had turned into a spoiled brat Dooshbag with a temper. I shouldn't have done that, but Weston looked past that and allowed me the courtesy. I know its a strict club with rules to protect others. It still doesn't change how it makes you feel when denied.. and held back from a full driving experience. This doesn't stand just for PCA, it's everyone, and what you have to deal with to prove yourself, but never a great start. Yellow was a little better, but I still had to wait on some Painful "trains." But, I'd say Yellow was fine for earning the current crews respect. Although I never got anywhere near that far with the car to actually drive it! Sensor issues, oil blow by issues, Turbo mount issues, etc. Typical new system problems..

The last event I went to with the car was not a PCA event, it was a TWS Motorsport Edge event. It was the third one for the new set up and last one for the year. I finally started to get comfortable with not constantly looking at the gauges and had got most of the annoying mechanical problems worked out. 3 sessions into the day, I decided to go out and start to get serious about judging the suspension and tires.. Sadly 4th or 5th lap in, I just starting to push the throttle a LITTLE... I blew a headgasket. But here's how it went before that;
The instructor I had in the car was starting to understand what I was telling him before he got in. He's heard it a million times I'm sure. OH HI Mr. instructor, you've never seen or heard of me, and I'm just going to start slow and concerned for the car, not really the driving aspect, but I do know what I am doing!... LOL. he was like.. Yeah sure buddy, ok.... hehe. I at least got 2 laps where I started to actually turn and use all of the gas pedal. (Low boost. ) I was going to get the car to slide out in a few turns and get a feel for lower to mid speed corners.. - as I will do again. He started to smile and actually admitted he didn't think I was telling the truth until then. He asked me why we were accelerating faster than before.. He was shocked when I showed him I was only using part of the throttle before. - It was accelerating hard at 70% throttle low boost.. Trust me.. I just laughed and hit the high boost button for a short straight. He reached for an, "OH ****" handle that wasn't there. That made my day. I quickly turned it to low boost again. I started to go a little bit faster and push it just a tiny bit more on the next lap. He said he hadn't been in many cars that fast before, (meaning acceleration not handling) and couldn't wait for me to turn it up... Sadly, that's right about when the headgasket blew. That's all I got. That's it. One guy who only saw about 60% of the older versions potential. I was more than frustrated and tore my car apart that week to make it what it is now.. 3 years later. .

He asked me to keep in touch and find him when its fixed. It's been so long, I lost touch. I hope to see him again soon though.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-30-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
xschop
Drifting

Inspirational

Quick Reply: Winter project under way. Updated 01/07