Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How do you cope?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009 | 03:35 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you cope?

How do you cope with all the 911/928 publications? I sit and stand in front of the magazines every other day waiting for a topic on the 944/951. Is it just me? I love this car and i tell ya i'm really annoyed that it doesn't get market value and that there is not much knowledge out there about this car. My co-workers still ask me if if the engine is in the back.
Old 01-02-2009 | 03:53 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absoluty love the low profile these cars keep only true automotive enthusiasts have any idea what they are.
plenty of people look at it and don't know what it is .
Old 01-02-2009 | 03:54 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

we who own them know how great they are and I read an article in Road and Track last year that picked it as a best buy under $10K,so the people who know cars recognize them too.I pass Corvettes,BMW and 911s all day at the track that cost 3 or 4 times what my car cost and last year I picked off some rookies in GT3s.Thats how I cope.Excellance covers us so so,but wont risk losing any readers by putting us in a fair comparison with like equiped and valued cars.They know where their bread is buttered.I guess it just makes me feal smarter than everyone who dosent own one
Old 01-02-2009 | 04:25 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

hahahah nice " when the flag drops the bull**** stops" my ol man years ago
And really rennlist is everything you would ever hope to get in a magazine and with much more reality community and truth .
Automotive journalism in Australia is so crappy I'm often embarrassed.
Old 01-02-2009 | 05:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

There's a couple of UK mags that aren't bad. '911 & Porsche World' being the best of the bunch. They did a profile story on Paul's 3.2L 944 turbo in the UK and they loved it. I've contacted the Editor who is interested in doing stories of the high powered 951s at the pointy end of the field. I aim to make that magazine in the not too distant future. I agree that our cars are undervalued. Sure these kids are getting crazy hp dyno numbers in their Jap stuff, but I still like the way my doors shut after 20 years. I hardly ever see the crazy number Jap stuff at the track either. Evos and WREXYs excepted along with the occasional Nissan GTR type thing.
Perhaps someone should cover the 'Fest and submit that story?
Old 01-02-2009 | 09:43 AM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a decent write up. left hand column 951 verses 911t

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/

Last edited by jc in rb; 01-02-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: clairifie
Old 01-02-2009 | 01:13 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too kind of like the fact that not a lot of people know what these cars are (which to this day still surprises me). I took mine to it's first car show a few weeks before Christmas (show 'n shine car show/santa's art shop type deal) and enjoyed watching the attention it got amongst the muscle cars/classic cars. No one I talked to knew what it was until I told them, even the sponsors & car guys. Every one asked if it had a 6 or 8 in it ... There are a few 944's around here, but I believe I'm the only turbo in town. Only twice in the ~4 years I've owned it has someone asked me if it was a turbo - both were younger (~early 20's) and both seemed to appreciate what it was. My boy wanted me to get a Corvette when I was looking (the 951 was the car I always wanted since it came out). Now he's glad I didn't - I quote "Man, that's all you see are 'Vette's and Mustangs". I say enjoy it's (quasi)-uniqueness!!!
Old 01-02-2009 | 01:18 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I absoluty love the low profile these cars keep only true automotive enthusiasts have any idea what they are.
plenty of people look at it and don't know what it is .
Yeah, I've been complimented on my "nice black Ferrari" once or twice.
Old 01-02-2009 | 01:33 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

perhaps you should get one of those hidius tessa rossa type body kits
Old 01-02-2009 | 09:08 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Doesn't bother me, but then again I want a 911 one of these days as well. I agree about rennlist having everything I could want and more as far as reading material goes. In a single day on here I learn more than I ever would by reading a magazine article written by a journalist who covers a wide range of vehicles and doesn't know anything except generic knowledge. The vast majority of 951/44 owners on this forum can spit out the stock numbers and specs all day long which is all the magazines are gonna do. It's the internals, mechanics, troubleshooting and options when it comes to builds/rebuilds that I'm most interested in and that can only really be found here and on a few other select sites. That said, I would like to see an article or two every now and then where the author takes out a well built 951 that puts out some higher hp/tq numbers and just read about how impressed he is in a 20 year old car. I get that satisfaction every time I take out a friend who hasn't ridden in my car yet, however, and mine's mostly stock. Can't wait to bolt on some goodies here in the next year or two once I'm done saving and then really take em for a ride they wont forget

Quick Reply: How do you cope?