Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Heads up 951 vs 928 S4 in Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both. They are totally different cars. I love both of them. The 951 is slightly modded, a blast to drive and I wouldn't trade it for anything. it's my DD. I let another 928s4 lister drive it and he couldn't believe it was a 4 cyl. He also couldn't get the grin off his face for about 30 minutes. The 951 will out corner any Porsche i have ever driven and the suspension is stock. The 928 is another thing; it's getting all of its 'old Porsche' problems fixed this winter. Same thing the 951 went thru 3 years ago. I keep and maintain another friend's 928 5speed. While not all that fast, it is a kick to drive. He has a 951 also.
I'm almost 58 and I've owned a bunch of Porsches; not as many as a lot of people, but enough that each one has made me passionate about one thing-Porsches.
Saying that you can spend $5k on this or that and keep up with this or that car just doesn't mean much. I go to The Mitty at Road Atlanta every year. Last year some guy was running the god awfullest POS Pinto I have ever seen. At first I about lost it laughing at him. But then as I watched the cars make their laps, I noticed one thing-nobody but the really serious cars were passing him. I guess he must have spent $5K on something.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:17 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

951 hands down! Any other opinion is just personal bias. Oooh oohh Its got a v8 ooh ooh.<insert monkey sounds>. Touring cross country tho, Id rather have a 928. Manuals are hard to find. I dont do autos.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:12 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once again ill use this

I can write a book about me having a 22 inch dick, and sign my name on it, but it doesnt make the mentioned true.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

My $5k point was trying to make adjustments that kept the comparison on an apples for apples basis....or compare the stock 951 against the smaller capacity 928. My feeling is that in general to get a really nice 928 S4 5 speed is going to cost at least $5k more than a nice example of a 951. Add the $5k to the 951 and see how the contest goes. It's still not going to make a 928 guy buy a 951 but it might prise their eyes just a little bit away from their much idolised 928.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I just feel like the 951 is a meaner car than the 928.

It's rough around the edges.. very purposeful. It doesn't leave any doubt hanging around about what it was meant to do.

It's a drivers car.

A new cayenne GTS may be faster than a new 911, but that doesn't mean it's a better sports car.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Honestly I don't know why some of you are getting your panties in a bunch. You sound like fan boys. I hate fan boys of any car.

The article was very well written. He concluded that the 951 was more nimble, better around the tight twisties. It was much more well balanced than the 928. The 928 with its superior low end grunt makes it a ideal canidate for around town use. Pulling away from stop lights, crusing around its a true GT car. Its much more friendly and easier because you don't have the rev the damn thing to get anywhere.

In the end he perfers the 928 as a personal choice and didn't make it seem like he was calling it anything else. Both cars respond well to mods and both cars have their place. I have alot of expeirence in both a 951 and a 928s4. I tell you i'd rock em' both.

The 928 is the ultimate GT car. Perfect for around town crusing and highway drives. The 951 is quick, responsive, and downright explosive to drive when coming on boost in one with mods. It plants a smile on my face that just can't be washed away.

The whole 5k arguement thing is stupid IMHO. Porsches are never about money. You could always find a 929 example cheeper with full intention of modding it just like you can a 951. We buy these cars not because of stats or performance figures nearly as much as we buy them for the feeling we get when we drive them, don't ever forget that.

Leave the pencil pushing to the journalists. We are all part of the same family.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:32 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

My $5k point was trying to make adjustments that kept the comparison on an apples for apples basis....or compare the stock 951 against the smaller capacity 928.
I was talking about someone over on the 928 thread talking about bolting on all kinds of suspension parts to even things up on large sweeping turns. like I said, I got both, and no way a 928 is gonna keep up with my 951 in some of the twisties around East Tenn. ie, The Dragon. But that's not why I have owned the Porsches I have owned. I really don't care. I got some kid in a ricer everyday I go out that goes back to high school the next day and tells all his other ricer buddies how he beat a Porsche. I notice them because they are all Furiuos and no Fast. Years ago, when I had my 356 Roadster, the local club would have drive outs to somewhere. Most of the guys had 911's. Top speed on my 356 was 103 mph tops. They would run off and leave me on the straights, but I sure had fun catching up on the twisties. Same thing w/my 951 or my 928. I got people at work that ask in amazement how many Porsches I own, and they look at me like I'm rich when I say 3 or 4. Doesn't matter to them what they are. They're Porsches and that's The Legend that these cars have become. I think that when we get into the 'I got bigger *****' or 'he's fat and slow' discussions, we might as well be at high school the next day with the Honda driver.
That's always been my opinion.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chrly924s
. I got people at work that ask in amazement how many Porsches I own,
Dude, you are a total freak, normal people owns 1 or 2 Porsches but you
Old 12-21-2008, 03:42 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

not a freak-just a broke gluton for punishment
Old 12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chrly924s
I think that when we get into the 'I got bigger *****' or 'he's fat and slow' discussions, we might as well be at high school the next day with the Honda driver.
That's always been my opinion.
completely agree
Old 12-21-2008, 03:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

John, nobody is getting their panties in a bunch. Just stating that it would be nice to do an even comparison. The guy who wrote the article is a 928 fan and writes in their forum. That's fine. If I had lots of money and a big garage, I'd like a GTS myself. I guess it's just the fact that it was titled 928 or 951 for similar money it was more 'versus' in most people's minds. The 928 crowd do look down on the 951 crowd like they're the Big Macs and we're the Junior Burgers....and visa-versa.
I just wanted to say that on even ground the comparison is a lot closer than those guys think. Many of them haven't been in a 951 let alone a decent one. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised or possibly shocked.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

And seriously... what is rennlist if you can't enjoy making 928 jokes every once in awhile??

I like the rivalry, it's entertaining.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
John, nobody is getting their panties in a bunch. Just stating that it would be nice to do an even comparison. The guy who wrote the article is a 928 fan and writes in their forum. That's fine. If I had lots of money and a big garage, I'd like a GTS myself. I guess it's just the fact that it was titled 928 or 951 for similar money it was more 'versus' in most people's minds. The 928 crowd do look down on the 951 crowd like they're the Big Macs and we're the Junior Burgers....and visa-versa.
I just wanted to say that on even ground the comparison is a lot closer than those guys think. Many of them haven't been in a 951 let alone a decent one. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised or possibly shocked.
I think you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. Some of the 928 guys have one on theirs too. I have spent time with 928 guys. Some of them are fan boys. Just like some 951 owners.

However most 928 owners that have personal expeirence with the 951 all say its a great car and they'd love to own one. Funny most non fan boy 951 owners say the same things about the 928.

All the other mess just sounds like crying because it is. Both cars are great. No person with a real worldly view of these cars is going to look down on someone else, and if they do they are fan boys. What do you care what a fan boy says? They are biased we all know that.

Be the bigger man. Keep a balanced view of these cars, NOT a biased one. Both are great. Just depends on what your after. The writter of this article loves both cars but, has a personal emotion attachement to 928's. Who could blame him?

They are great cars.
Originally Posted by Lorax
And seriously... what is rennlist if you can't enjoy making 928 jokes every once in awhile??

I like the rivalry, it's entertaining.
Should you be shipping parts?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I think you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. Some of the 928 guys have one on theirs too. I have spent time with 928 guys. Some of them are fan boys. Just like some 951 owners.

However most 928 owners that have personal expeirence with the 951 all say its a great car and they'd love to own one. Funny most non fan boy 951 owners say the same things about the 928.

All the other mess just sounds like crying because it is. Both cars are great. No person with a real worldly view of these cars is going to look down on someone else, and if they do they are fan boys. What do you care what a fan boy says? They are biased we all know that.

Be the bigger man. Keep a balanced view of these cars, NOT a biased one. Both are great. Just depends on what your after. The writter of this article loves both cars but, has a personal emotion attachement to 928's. Who could blame him?

They are great cars.
That sounds so boring. I don't want to have to ***** foot around... Why can't we have a healthy competition and rivalry? I make jokes and stuff about 928's and I think most people know I'm joking. I don't know very many 951 guys that REALLY hate 928's.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951

Should you be shipping parts?
LOL!

It's sunday man, give me a friggen break!!

Quick Reply: Heads up 951 vs 928 S4 in Excellence