Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electronic boost controller recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cool thing about the AVC-R is gear/rpm based boost control.

If you like to fiddle with things then you can take advantage of some neat features.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really liked my Profec A (the fuzzy logic self learning one) but you have to be careful with the cable to the "solenoid". The solenoid is actually a stepper motor so the cable to it is actually 8 or 10 thin wires that can break easily (as mine did).
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree about the Apexi. I think if you like to tinker and keep tuning, then you could probably get the most out of the car with something like this. They're very big in the Jap scene. I kinda like my MBC for the reason that I can set and forget it. I like to drive the damn car and not have to keep my eye on things all the time. Well for now anyway. Once the LINK is back in I might not have quite that same luxury.
I think the Apexi would benefit from some dyno time for sure.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I agree about the Apexi. I think if you like to tinker and keep tuning, then you could probably get the most out of the car with something like this. They're very big in the Jap scene. I kinda like my MBC for the reason that I can set and forget it. I like to drive the damn car and not have to keep my eye on things all the time. Well for now anyway. Once the LINK is back in I might not have quite that same luxury.
I think the Apexi would benefit from some dyno time for sure.
I've used MBC's for years and while the boost is always rock solid, I don't like the boost fluctuations that you get when the temp changes. Not so much the boost change but the PITA of adjusting. Also I like the ability of a EBC to flip a switch to lower/raise boost based on fuel type/weather/wife driving the car/service/etc. If I mounted my MBC's in the cabin it probably wouldn't be an issue adjusting it.

The AVC-R is a great controller and I had mine for about two years but I was really sick of screwing with it. I also thought the display was a bit to "rice" for my personal taste because it doesn't match the interior at all and I like things to appear "period correct". Not once did I ever use the gear based boost, scramble, or any of the other functions that made that controller great but I actually enjoy tire spin in the first three gears .

The Profec B is a nice compromise for me but the MBC for the dollar is always a good choice.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
The AVC-R is a great controller and I had mine for about two years but I was really sick of screwing with it. I also thought the display was a bit to "rice" for my personal taste because it doesn't match the interior at all and I like things to appear "period correct". Not once did I ever use the gear based boost, scramble, or any of the other functions that made that controller great but I actually enjoy tire spin in the first three gears .
Mine matches my radio and other silver and blue parts so I don't mind the look. All that is getting ripped out this winter anyway though.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

My solenoids attached to the cruise control, I had to move it back from over the fuel lines as the heat destroyed the first one. The avc-r does also come in black. This pics old kinda crappy lot's of shop dust. Currently the avc-r is sunk in and I just have matching plastic plate covering it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2008, 12:13 PM
eniac
Drifting

I've said alot of good things about the AVC-R and overall I am more than pleased with it's features HOWEVER, I would not buy another one for the simple fact that it is a single solenoid unit. I heard that a second one can be added to make it a dual solenoid but I was not able to find details on how exactly to do this. That said, I have no plans of replacing it anytime soon.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my gizzmo
6 boost settings
you can have separate settings for each gear with easy switching with a extern button
(for dragrace)

Last edited by DLS; 08-03-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

What a timely thread! I was just thinking of making the jump to an EBC.

Anyone got any pictures of the Profec B? Jeremy?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eniac
I've said alot of good things about the AVC-R and overall I am more than pleased with it's features HOWEVER, I would not buy another one for the simple fact that it is a single solenoid unit. I heard that a second one can be added to make it a dual solenoid but I was not able to find details on how exactly to do this. That said, I have no plans of replacing it anytime soon.
Isn't it a single twin solenoid or something like that? Either way... it doesnt seem to affect the perfomance as compared to any of the dual solenoid controllers.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

I think Im going with the blitz sbc i-color, w/ a/f box. Ive looked around for the dimensions of the unit, but cant find them anywhere. Will it fit in the console in the area under the stereo? It looks like it will. Also, anybody know the cheapest rock bottom price online? Lowest Ive found is i-color for 616, and a/f box for 479. It also comes in spec s or spec r(160 more).

Last edited by tone3721; 01-30-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Electronic boost controller recomendations?