Dualport wastegate...Really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Besides, if one says "it will hold boost longer in the rpm range", then that's not really running the same boost levels now, is it. (Because, you're running more at certain high RPMs)
But now youre splitting hairs, youre talking about the boost curve. Peak boost might be the same with the stock wastegate, but the curve will suck. Put a better wastegate in, peak can still be the same once the boost controller is readjusted, but it will have a new better curve.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
If boost is set at 18 psi then you make changes that allow you to get to that 18 psi sooner and hold it longer, your still at the same boost level, 18 psi. The boost curve does obviously change so boost @ a certain RPM will change, that's the benefit. If it didn't change then there would be no difference. The peak boost however can be exactly the same(set at 18 psi in this example).

It's not where you end up, it's getting that makes these cars so fun.

Exactly!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:53 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eniac
If boost is set at 18 psi then you make changes that allow you to get to that 18 psi sooner and hold it longer, your still at the same boost level, 18 psi. The boost curve does obviously change so boost @ a certain RPM will change, that's the benefit. If it didn't change then there would be no difference. The peak boost however can be exactly the same(set at 18 psi in this example).

It's not where you end up, it's getting that makes these cars so fun.
Yeah, I guess this is true what you're saying.
And yes, possibly I'm splittin' hairs, here.
Those of you that are making your comments based on personal experience, I can't argue that.
My love/hate relationship consists of 14 years and three 951s.
My personal experience (which I expressed in a previous post) is that a newish stock wastegate is not a bottleneck in the quest for very high hp.
Therefore, I just find it a little misleading to say that one wastegate makes more power than another.
I'm not saying that this is what this thread is about, but:
A new 951 owner might get the wrong impression when he hears: "yeah, the first thing you should do is get rid of the piece of s**t stock wastegate"
When in actuality, one shouldn't replace a perfectly working component; instead should focus on improving the air flow across the engine. Then all of a sudden the wastegate won't seem so bad.

But yeah, I know what you guys are saying: assuming you got all the ducks in row, why not get a better control of boost.
Okay, got it.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

So running my Tail 38 (New from TIM) from the side port to the boost tube is not the best way to run it.... BUT If I go with a mbc, and kept the same boost level, would it be noticable? What should I expcect to see?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:14 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Yeah, I guess this is true what you're saying.
And yes, possibly I'm splittin' hairs, here.
Those of you that are making your comments based on personal experience, I can't argue that.
My love/hate relationship consists of 14 years and three 951s.
My personal experience (which I expressed in a previous post) is that a newish stock wastegate is not a bottleneck in the quest for very high hp.
Therefore, I just find it a little misleading to say that one wastegate makes more power than another.
I'm not saying that this is what this thread is about, but:
A new 951 owner might get the wrong impression when he hears: "yeah, the first thing you should do is get rid of the piece of s**t stock wastegate"
When in actuality, one shouldn't replace a perfectly working component; instead should focus on improving the air flow across the engine. Then all of a sudden the wastegate won't seem so bad.

But yeah, I know what you guys are saying: assuming you got all the ducks in row, why not get a better control of boost.
Okay, got it.
I guess our expeirences are just a little different then. These cars are old and unless the stock wastegate was recenty rebuilt it will be working pretty poorly compared to a DP wastegate that can activate quicker and be more controlled at building what boost is available sooner. The car will perform very differently and the more mods you have the more pronounced the difference is going to be.

INHO a set of chips/mbc/exhaust/wastegate is the quickest way to wake up a properly maintained car. Anything above those mods costs a good deal of money(mafs/fuel system/turbo/head work/motor work/etc.

My car was transformed with minor bolt ons(car was well maintained and ready for mods before I bought it). I saw if you have other issues yes certain performance mods might not give you the gain you are looking for but, if the car is in good runnning order its hard to go wrong with a nice DP wastegate.

Even a shimmed stock unit won't perform nearly as well.

Quick Reply: Dualport wastegate...Really worth it?