Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Unlimited Boost + Raised Idle after turning boost to 17psi

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 02:11 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by amirpc
Austin, TX
If you ever need a hand lemme know. I'm up in DFW and wouldn't mind heading down on a weekend.

And this is a dumb thing to check but I've seen it happen before, did your idle screw back out far enough to pop out?
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:13 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
If you ever need a hand lemme know. I'm up in DFW and wouldn't mind heading down on a weekend.
I appreciate that Hopefully I can fix it today though! My sister is in town and I'm dying to show her the new car.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:16 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Okay so another thing.

When I start it, it sits at regular idle for a bit and then starts to climb.

When its at regular idle my wideband shows 14.7, and as it starts to climb my wideband drops down past 13, into the 12s and 11s.

If unmetered air was getting into the intake, wouldn't I be running lean?

Also - the boost gauge stays exactly around -18-20 without moving.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:33 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Once the RPMs have settled into a range (2k-2.2k) the wideband goes back to 14.7.

Heres a crazy theory. If somehow the intake manifold wasn't seated correctly on the head, say maybe a washer got stuck between the manifold and the head before I torqued it on - could that cause this?
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:48 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Am I crazy or is that a washer under the edge of the intake manifold between it and the head?

Also, I disabled the ISV and after settling down on an RPM range - the wideband no longer goes back to 14.7 it stays at around 10.9.

Last edited by amirpc; 11-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:53 PM
Darwantae951

Last time someone had a gasket in wrong the car would stall, not idle high. I don't think that's your problem.
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:54 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Last time someone had a gasket in wrong the car would stall, not idle high. I don't think that's your problem.
What about some sort of vacuum leak in/around the ISV?
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:55 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

that does look a little funny...

with the car running, can you spray something flammable at that spot (like WD-40)? That may tell you in there is an air leak there.

Is it also possible that your FPR (fuel pressure regulator) has died.

Also, presumably you have larger injectors? (to supply enough fuel at 17 lbs boost). Could something just have happened to your fuel mapping? Or maybe an engine temp sensor is telling the computer to run rich because it doesn't think the car is warmed up?
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:58 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
that does look a little funny...

with the car running, can you spray something flammable at that spot (like WD-40)? That may tell you in there is an air leak there.

Is it also possible that your FPR (fuel pressure regulator) has died.

Also, presumably you have larger injectors? (to supply enough fuel at 17 lbs boost). Could something just have happened to your fuel mapping? Or maybe an engine temp sensor is telling the computer to run rich because it doesn't think the car is warmed up?
I have sprayed WD-40 everywhere I can possibly spray it I haven't seen any sort of combustion or anything like that, nor have I seen bubbles.

The FPR is a brand new 3 Bar unit from lindsey, do you think this is likely? How could I check for it?

I am running stock injectors actually. I am not leaning out, I was checking everything against the wideband.
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:23 PM
Darwantae951

What you're looking for when spraying something (WD-40 (never head of that used) or carb/choke cleaner) is for a change in the idle or RPM.
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:25 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

What you're looking for when spraying something (WD-40 (never head of that used) or carb/choke cleaner) is for a change in the idle or RPM.
Yeah I was listening for that too. I'll switch to carb cleaner and see if that works better.

Does it make any difference that disabling the ISV has made it start running richer?
Old 11-25-2008 | 03:26 PM
Darwantae951

Not too sure on that one. I've seen people delete the ISV all together and the car runs fine.
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:01 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Yeah I sprayed almost a whole can of carb cleaner all over every vacuum fitting I could find, I didn't hear any noticeable pitch changes.

I then plugged the intercooler banjo bolt which goes to the MBC/Wastegate...this caused the idle to rise much slower, and hang around 1900 rpm. Also, no noticeable pitch changes while spraying around.

I'm thinking I might just have to replace the lines or something.
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:17 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Do yourself a favor and build something that you can pressure test the intake system. If there are any do-it-yourself'ers out there this is one of the first things you must make for the 951. It will come in handy to find your leaks, and quickly.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but be sure to check, double check and triple check your line to the WG. Take the side off the hard pipe, blow into it. Make sure no leaks. Then go to the other side of the boost controller, blow into that. As much as it could be something else, if this line is leaking it could be both your problems- overboost and idle. Both happened at the same time, both are probably related.

Be patient and good luck.
Old 11-25-2008 | 04:21 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDP
Do yourself a favor and build something that you can pressure test the intake system. If there are any do-it-yourself'ers out there this is one of the first things you must make for the 951. It will come in handy to find your leaks, and quickly.
Do you have any instructions or anything on how to do this? I don't know how, I've tried to find something but without much luck.

Originally Posted by DDP
Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but be sure to check, double check and triple check your line to the WG. Take the side off the hard pipe, blow into it. Make sure no leaks. Then go to the other side of the boost controller, blow into that. As much as it could be something else, if this line is leaking it could be both your problems- overboost and idle. Both happened at the same time, both are probably related.
I've completely disconnected the WG/MBC line from the intercooler pipe, and plugged the hole - I still have these idle issues. With that hole plugged, doesn't that eliminate the WG as a potential cause?

Quick Reply: Unlimited Boost + Raised Idle after turning boost to 17psi