Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removed another 8lbs from the car today. (Updated pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please assume everything I do is geared for track duty.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
Not saying it would not work but that's a a 50 amp and 944's use a 105 or 115 amp. If it's for a track only car and you don't have any headlights/ac, it should be ok.
That would power my headlights and fuel pump... But not anything else, not even the fuel injectors nevermind the coilpacks
Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
95ONE
Race Car

for those of you who need to push sub-woofers and a/c and such, there are honda ones from a 98 civic with same pulley offset and tab that match almost identically. its only 2lbs more at 9lbs. - or use the suzuki swift alernator 10-11 lbs that will more closely matches our stock double sheer tabs with only a small amount of metal shaving.
Bosch fuel pump @5bar pressure = 13 amps.
Motec ECU = ? amps.
4 injectors= amps Driven through ECU
Cooling fan = 10amps

Last edited by 95ONE; 11-21-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you guys get all this data on alternators?
I head down to the local parts store and get a stupid blank stare until I eventually concede and ask the price on a stock replacement alternator?...

I saw a thread about shoehorning a Nissan Quest alternator in there for the reduced size and increased output, and I always wondered just where you guys get your info.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zero10
Where do you guys get all this data on alternators?
I head down to the local parts store and get a stupid blank stare until I eventually concede and ask the price on a stock replacement alternator?...

I saw a thread about shoehorning a Nissan Quest alternator in there for the reduced size and increased output, and I always wondered just where you guys get your info.
From buying a LOT of parts at the local import parts store(S&G). They let me go in back and fish through the 3 shelves of alternators they have in stock.

The Nissan Quest alt. I installed came with a data sheet and a dyno graph of what it puts out at what rpm. Peak is 130 amps IIRC. I tried the Swift alt. but it would have taken more work to get it to fit and only put out 90 amps peak.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:46 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Just finished the bracket. Belt I have is too large. Gotta go to parts store tomorrow. lines up perfectly.
I still have to make a tensioner / Crank angle sensor bracket. old tensioner and Crank bracket were a fail.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Just finished the bracket. Belt I have is too large. Gotta go to parts store tomorrow. lines up perfectly.
I still have to make a tensioner / Crank angle sensor bracket. old tensioner and Crank bracket were a fail.
Weird, im making a new crank sensor bracket tomorrow too
Old 11-12-2008, 02:48 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by bigdeano
If you wouldn't mind could you take some pictures of the fab/weld up work you do. I knew running a smaller alternator was possible but didn't (still don't) know how much custom work goes into mounting it up to the car. I'm guessing you can use one of the existing mounting points but then have to fab up something for the other one.
Originally Posted by spoolin51
I hate you Bruce!
I want to see exactly how much fab is required. Post plenty of pics..
How much does that alternator run?
Originally Posted by drift a 944
Man, how awesome is that.

Whats involved fabrication wise?

edit: I guess I wasnt the only one wondering about that, lol
Done, Done, and done
Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Sweeet!
Thanks for the pics
Now lets get that baby started and see how everything works...
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Nice looking fab job!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, Broadfoot replaced the broken alternator bracket, which was really nice of them. I have a 7lb alternator of unknown origin, bought used off eBay, but it fit up pretty nice. Since I don't run PS, I took the old PS tensioner and entended it for the alternator. The alignment was a little off on the pulleys, so I'm running a narrower belt and going crosswise, so to speak, to get the alignment right. We'll see if I can actually get away with that at 7K revs. Anyhow, here are pics of the first try (if I can figure out how to upload):

West
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2008, 08:16 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Very nice West.
how many wires is that alternaor? Did you get the wiring done yet? 12v ref, Lamp, and ignition on my 3 wire connector. And of course the main charge wire to the Starter/battery.
the alignment is why I welded up tabs to make it a straight fit. Welded tabs also gives it a double sheer connection point to the bracket.
It looks like you're running a 5 rib belt. you can easily run a 4 rib on that guy. It'll straighten things right up.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:59 AM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Anyone know what the wires to the Alternator are by color? Can you get away with a one wire alternator?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by daigo
Anyone know what the wires to the Alternator are by color? Can you get away with a one wire alternator?
Not sure if this helps but I wired mine essentially as a one wire. The blue wire is for the gauge/light. After starting I do have to tap the gas to trigger the alternator to turn on then it stays steady at 14v no matter how hot it gets or how many electronics I have turned on. Here's how I wired the Nissan alternator:
Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how it would fit on our cars, but if anyone is looking for what must be a REALLY GOOD alternator, you might want to check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mayba...QQcmdZViewItem

West

Quick Reply: Removed another 8lbs from the car today. (Updated pics)