Are my ears that pointy on the top?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Are my ears that pointy on the top?
Many years of them being used as a handle.....probably so.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:14 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Many years of them being used as a handle.....probably so.

Can you guys go back and re-read post #26. First it was the foreplay and now you are taking a lovers walk down memory lane. Get a PM!

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Kevin,

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but, save your money and get this...

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ty_200_series/

It can make a 3 year old weld aluminum. I use a syncrowave 250 and I'm ready to sell it for a new dynasty. You can get the base model and add on. They do great with a water cooled conversion.

It sucks to spend the extra money but in this case, you get what you pay for and a good welder will help you weld better.

Well this thread was fairly amusing, so it's back.

evil 944t- There is a local guy selling a Dynasty 200DX with foot pedal, torch, and about $250 worth of various filler rod for$2k. It looks to be in great shape, but I need to go back there and put a plug on it to make sure it works and check the hours. How many hours are reasonable for the price?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I would say if your gonna do a lot of aluminum get a water cooled torch.
you don't have to have a water cooled machine you can easy rig water up to a torch alone ..
Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Well this thread was fairly amusing, so it's back.

evil 944t- There is a local guy selling a Dynasty 200DX with foot pedal, torch, and about $250 worth of various filler rod for$2k. It looks to be in great shape, but I need to go back there and put a plug on it to make sure it works and check the hours. How many hours are reasonable for the price?
Hmm, thats a decent price. There are so many people going out of business that you can get them a little cheaper or with more features/add on's. A water cooler is great feature. A dynasty will make a terrible AL welder look like a pro.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Went through this exercise for our maintenance dept. last winter. Already had a TIG bought a few years back when lead maintenace guy was a super welder. He had been a certified welder for Boeing RD shop in Seattle once upon a time. He was gone and I was only guy with any TIG experience but many years ago and no time.
I bought them a new Miller Mig that is dual voltage. Has shorter duty cycle and lower amperage when 110 but full duty cycle and full amperage when 230. Welds stainless (repaired #2-3 exhaust on my 951 with it) and aluminum super plus for light repairs has advantage of plugging into 110 around the plant. I'll check out the model number tomorrow. I know it was less then $2k.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
I would say if your gonna do a lot of aluminum get a water cooled torch.
We'll see..I may do that.

Originally Posted by evil 944t
A dynasty will make a terrible AL welder look like a pro.
Good, maybe I won't even know that I'm a terrible AL welder. So is there a number for hours on the machine that I should walk away from?

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Went through this exercise for our maintenance dept. last winter. Already had a TIG bought a few years back when lead maintenace guy was a super welder. He had been a certified welder for Boeing RD shop in Seattle once upon a time. He was gone and I was only guy with any TIG experience but many years ago and no time.
I bought them a new Miller Mig that is dual voltage. Has shorter duty cycle and lower amperage when 110 but full duty cycle and full amperage when 230. Welds stainless (repaired #2-3 exhaust on my 951 with it) and aluminum super plus for light repairs has advantage of plugging into 110 around the plant. I'll check out the model number tomorrow. I know it was less then $2k.
I have a Mig, and could do stainless with it but want better control for smaller, nicer looking welds. For AL, I've heard it needs a feeder at the handle to avoid problems. I'd be interested to hear more about the model you bought though.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I did and inlet manifold years ago for something with a AL set up MIG the welds all looked spot on but when i pressure tested It had fine porosity ...basicly i concluded that with a modest Mig set up you can good looking structurally sound aluminum but not tanks manifolds etc ...
If you have the space and the power its cheaper to go seperate AC and DC rigs and leave them set up if you go ol scool big **** AC and pilot arc ...that is
depending on your MIg you may be able connect a torch and DC TIG somtimes welder repair shops will do a mod for voltage control ...... but I'm curios you may be able to just get a pedal +torch...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I did and inlet manifold years ago for something with a AL set up MIG the welds all looked spot on but when i pressure tested It had fine porosity ...basicly i concluded that with a modest Mig set up you can good looking structurally sound aluminum but not tanks manifolds etc ...
If you have the space and the power its cheaper to go seperate AC and DC rigs and leave them set up if you go ol scool big **** AC and pilot arc ...that is
depending on your MIg you may be able connect a torch and DC TIG somtimes welder repair shops will do a mod for voltage control ...... but I'm curios you may be able to just get a pedal +torch...

Quick Reply: X-post: Buying a TIG welder, need a little advice