Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What's the best repair for a slightly bent car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Frame rack for sure...
Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Boy, I've seen some great avatars lately. Keep it up guys!

I took the car to a friend's body shop yesterday. He agrees with all of you - its worth putting it on a frame machine. He works with another shop which has a machine - we're going to call them next week and see if they have, or can rent, jigs that will work on the 944.

So, that'll be the next step. Hopefully this shop will let me stay around while they do the work so I can take pictures.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good news buddy, hope it works!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

So, I dropped the car off at a reputable frame shop yesterday (nice, clean facility, too!)

They think it's quite doable to "make it right". Their technician said he did a little "944 research" - and his material says that there are pinch welds under the plastic rocker panel trim - and he'll be able to hold onto the car there. We'll see if he's right.

As for the price, I imagine it'll be more than I was hoping for, but if they do a good job, I guess it'll be worth it. Their rate is $125/hour and they're guessing it'll be 4-6 hours.

The looked pretty busy, but might have it done in a week or so.

then the question will be, pay a shop (my usual body shop) to do the finish work, or do that myself over the winter. I guess I'll make that decision when I get the bill from the frame shop.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 PM
DanR
Drifting

hope that it works out ok for you!!!! I know I bailed on you the other week, but offer of help always stands!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get those big diagrams that you wrote all the measurements on? And IMHO 6 hours at $125/hour is pretty cheap considering the damage.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Van
So, I dropped the car off at a reputable frame shop yesterday (nice, clean facility, too!)

They think it's quite doable to "make it right". Their technician said he did a little "944 research" - and his material says that there are pinch welds under the plastic rocker panel trim - and he'll be able to hold onto the car there. We'll see if he's right.
There are pinch welds, but hardly any clearance to get the clamps in place. Hard to describe but the rocker comes down flush with the bottom of the welds which leaves less than a half inch of clearance. My clamps definitely don't fit in there. Man, his labor rate is high! Is that his posted rate for insurance work? I know you are in NY but damn! I wish I could charge that much.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theedge
Where did you get those big diagrams that you wrote all the measurements on? And IMHO 6 hours at $125/hour is pretty cheap considering the damage.
Labor rate doesn't change based on severity--hours to repair would though.
Edit--sorry, I misread your post. I would agree, $750 isn't unreasonable. Its a common misconception that frame damage is what drives repair cost sky high when it really doesn't. Our frame rate is only $5 more than our sheetmetal rate. If your just getting a pull or two done its not that expensive. Parts, paint and things like airbags run the bill upwards very quickly though.

Last edited by Burma Shave; 11-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
I'd say that car has a solid 8 hours of pull time on it, being generous. I can't see the car so I wouldnt want to under estimate.
Random question:
Do you do estimates for a body shop? Do you paint? Have you painted professionally? Have you repaired frames professionally?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
Where did you get those big diagrams that you wrote all the measurements on?
Those diagrams are in the first section of the "Body" factory service manual. I just printed it on 11x17 paper and went to work!

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
Man, his labor rate is high! Is that his posted rate for insurance work? I know you are in NY but damn! I wish I could charge that much.
Yeah - that's his regular rate. Obviously, I'm not using insurance... I didn't ask, but I wonder if he'll offer a slight discount for cash. It was a nice shop - clean and well staffed. All of the cars in there were new-ish and they were high-end models (Mercedes, Range Rover, Lexus, etc). I didn't see the names on his frame machines (he had 2 - one larger than the other - the smaller one looked like it had rams at each of the 4 corners - the larger one was tilted and had 4 rams at one end.)
Old 11-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

That is the highest body shop labor rate I've heard of. Definitely would have to be working on high end stuff, everything else will total with rates like that. I'd love to see the faces of the local insurance company guys when they stroke those checks. It never hurts to ask for a cash discount, make sure you're asking the owner and do it when you drop off, not when you pick up. I wouldn't be surprised if he says no (unless he knows you).
Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Btw, the national average is $46.46 for body/paint and $55.51 for unibody/frame.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

For the fancy racks, doesn't shop have to rent the car specific jig?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I spoke with another shop - perhaps one that has a lower labor rate. They said they used to be able to rent model specific jigs, but no longer. They were concerned about working on such an exotic car and the referred me to the shop that's doing the work. One of the best indy Porsche shops also recommended this shop - so I have no doubt that my car is in good hands.

That's amazing the national average is $55. I just looked up the national average salary - a few years ago that was $36,700. I can tell you, the average salary around me is higher than that... The local run-of-the-mill mechanics have labor rates of $75+, and the high end shops are $105 and up.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Just got a call from the frame shop. The car's done! 5.5 hours. I don't think I'll be able to pick it up until next week some time.

Quick Reply: What's the best repair for a slightly bent car?