Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What's the best repair for a slightly bent car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts
Default What's the best repair for a slightly bent car?

So, if you were following my other thread, you know I did a little damage to the rear of my car.

I've started taking it apart:

The first thing I noticed, there is a buckle in the trunk area:

And, next to the bumper shock mount on the right side, you can see where the caulk on a seam split open (the white line above the tow hook):

It took me a while to open the hatch without breaking the glass - I actually had to remove the passenger seat and climb back there, curl up in the fetal position and unbolt the latches. Anyhow, when the hatch swings down, you can see that the pins don't line up with the holes:

And, if you sight down the right side of the car, you can see that the fender is a little to the right as compared with the outside of the hatch:

And on the left side, the fender is a little towards the inside:

So, the big question:

What's the proper course of action? Try to push the rear of the car back over? Is that best done with a porta power or with a frame straightener? Or leave it the way it is, because the damage doesn't extend forward to the rear suspension mounts, and just move my hatch pins over, chalk it up to being a "rough and tough track car" and call it a day?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A very reputable frame shop is your best bet. That looks pretty tweaked.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd want to be sure the rear suspension did not move. That crease in the trunk makes me think it may have moved, given the angle of the crease and its large size. Square it up on a machine would be my vote...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I would take it to a frame shop and have them throw it on a rack to check critical pickup point dimensions - in all probability the damage is "cosmetic". If they can pull it straighter, so the hatch fits better and the floor pan in the trunk flattens out - great.

But in the end, on a track car, if the car can be aligned and corner balanced - its straight enough...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

+1 on the frame shop. My son slightly tweaked mine last year, very little cosmetic damage but the frame had moved quite a bit. Shouldn't take long to straightenit out. Mine was in the $750 range.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

frame machine time....

One issue with tweaked car is that it can caused odd handling on the track because you can had issues getting it aligned just right. Still get it on frame machine and have it checked and pulled back if needed. Then worry about the cosmetic stuff.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

OK. Will do. I'll see if I can locate a suitable body shop.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Van,

It looks like the trunk absorbed the energy, I doubt the frame was effected.

As an alternative, when I'm over doing the clutch, we can both jump up an down in the hatch area to flatten that lump...

Nick
Old 10-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Type_LT
we can both jump up an down in the hatch area to flatten that lump...
Haha - I was thinking of borrowing a porta power (but there aren't really good places to push from...)

Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a roller hahaha its not that bad im sure the frame shop would be able to fix that for you
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a tub if you need it. A little out of the way for you though.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM
future
Banned

The corner of impact has been pushed down and across so the main frame will 100% be bent and I'm guessing on about 1.5cm down and 2cm across.

I hate to say this but I'd go for a re-shell as you are in for a big spend on this one mate.

First the floor will need to be cut out and then the inner wheel arch's will need to be cut along the seam. Drop rear axle and mount on jig followed by a full from the same angle as the impact. Looks to me as if both chassis legs are bent. Take both the wheels of and have a good look at where the rear axle mounts - See any clean paint or further buckles then it's a re-shell for sure

Did you hit a tyre wall? I'm sorry to see these pictures and feel for you mate!

I'd take CurtP up on his offer of a new tub/shell mate
Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM
future
Banned

If it's any consolation mate we have just had to jig/pull and repair our 968 front chassis legs:

Old 10-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by future
The corner of impact has been pushed down and across so the main frame will 100% be bent and I'm guessing on about 1.5cm down and 2cm across.
Ahh, if I was only a little smarter, I would have put it on my corner balance scales before taking it apart! That would tell me how it's sitting.

In fact, maybe I'll have to put it back together and check. That will tell me very quickly if I've given the suspension points an "up/down" tweak.

It was a tire wall - at about 50 MPH.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
eniac
Drifting

Indeed the first thing you want to do is put it back together and check the alignment and track. If the suspension hasn't been tweaked then it's simple cosmetic repairs you can do yourself. This is the ONE thing our frog leg suspension is good for. It can sometimes take hits in the rear without disturbing the rear suspension. Had it been a double wish bone suspension then you would be in bad shape.

If your suspension is tweaked then you need to get it onto a jig at a frame shop so they can try to straighten it. At that point your probably better off getting a new tub from a parted car.

Quick Reply: What's the best repair for a slightly bent car?