I love my new soild trans mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:15 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRP951
try onlinemetals.com I get quite a bit of my raw metal from there
Oh nice site, lots of goodies there I have been looking for.

I love the disclaimer:

"At OnlineMetals, we all failed shop class. Multiple times. As a matter of fact, our employment applications specifically ask to see people's grades for their high school shop classes. If they're too high, they go into the rejected pile. We're also not engineers, and cannot make any specific recommendations about the suitability of a given alloy, temper, or shape for your project or application."
Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 AM
M Berg
Rennlist Member

Isn´t it a must to change to solid motor mounts also when using solid trans mount? Otherwise increased load on the trans mount and torque tube because of engine/transaxle movements during acceleration/full throttle->of gas pedal?

I think of the engine and transaxle as a rather stiff unit that is fixed in one end only in that case.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by M Berg
Isn´t it a must to change to solid motor mounts also when using solid trans mount? Otherwise increased load on the trans mount and torque tube because of engine/transaxle movements during acceleration/full throttle->of gas pedal?

I think of the engine and transaxle as a rather stiff unit that is fixed in one end only in that case.
Early 944s have two mounts, on the trans, which prevent it from swinging. Since the solid transmission mount achieves the same result as the early-style mounts, I don't think solid motor mounts are necessary

Perhaps a solid transmission mount will increase the life of the stock motor mounts, since they no longer have to compensate for transmission movement. On top of that, I doubt that new motor mounts allow much engine movement to begin with.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The early style dual mounts were still rubber mounts though. It prevented swinging, to a degree. And it still absorbed vibration. A solid trans mount would put more load on the motor mounts because that would be the only soft spot in the drivetrain's mounting. I.e. the path of least resistance for vibration and torsion.

What about the trans support rod from that other thread? I think xsboost and some others came up with a nice design to connect a rod from the driver side of the tranny to the crossmember, diagonally, to stop swinging. Maybe PU filled mount can be done in addition to this? Even a PU filled used mount?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
The early style dual mounts were still rubber mounts though. It prevented swinging, to a degree. And it still absorbed vibration. A solid trans mount would put more load on the motor mounts because that would be the only soft spot in the drivetrain's mounting. I.e. the path of least resistance for vibration and torsion.

What about the trans support rod from that other thread? I think xsboost and some others came up with a nice design to connect a rod from the driver side of the tranny to the crossmember, diagonally, to stop swinging. Maybe PU filled mount can be done in addition to this? Even a PU filled used mount?
The transmission support rod will achieve the same affect as a solid mount and, consequently, affect the motor mounts in the same fashion.

The solid tranny mount still allows some flex (the trans mount cross-member isn't rigid); just as much flex as the early style mounts.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:21 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the early mounts still are more forgiving than a solid late mount, and I think a support rod would make it like an early setup where the cushioning is there, but you're right it would still send most of the torsional stress to the motor mounts. But the support rod setup would still load the motor mounts less than a solid mount IMO.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Wallace
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have the dimensions of the transmission mount (stock or aftermarket)?

or, If anyone has one laying around, would they mind taking the measurements?

I'd love to make my own mount.
I have access to a mill, lots of cheap aluminum, and I'm a decent machinist.

Also, I couldn't find the transmission mount on the DPS Motorsports ebay site or on their website...
Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I am not usually negative on Rennlist….but…
Solid transmission mounts are really annoying and only allow you to abuse parts more.

Sure, if the stock mount is old you should replace it – but this is not like a ‘normal’ vehicle, the engine and transaxle are solidly bolted together – and the shifter is mounted to it also. If your stock engine and trans mounts are in good shape there will be no benefit to the shifting or any other stuff.

If you really like the sound then fine, that’s up to you, to me it is not enjoyable, I would rather hear the engine! If you want a race car then build a race car, if you want your street car to sound like a race car….then you must not know what a real race car sounds like…. They rattle, creak, groan, squeal, chirp and make all sorts of noises that would embarrass me out on the street.

Sauerkraut with a side of rice is not a nice dish…
Old 10-13-2008, 06:28 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

The last time i saw my tranny mount was 2 years ago during a clutch job. I probably should have replaced it then as the trans is really swinging around back there now.
Can I get the mount out w/o dropping the trans?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
I am not usually negative on Rennlist….but…
Solid transmission mounts are really annoying and only allow you to abuse parts more.

Sure, if the stock mount is old you should replace it – but this is not like a ‘normal’ vehicle, the engine and transaxle are solidly bolted together – and the shifter is mounted to it also. If your stock engine and trans mounts are in good shape there will be no benefit to the shifting or any other stuff.

If you really like the sound then fine, that’s up to you, to me it is not enjoyable, I would rather hear the engine! If you want a race car then build a race car, if you want your street car to sound like a race car….then you must not know what a real race car sounds like…. They rattle, creak, groan, squeal, chirp and make all sorts of noises that would embarrass me out on the street.

While I agree with what you're saying Chris I guess some of these cars fall somewhere between road and race. With steel bushing/bearings and other non rubber parts, these cars do certainly loose their civility. I'm not sure of the theory that stock mounts can lead to not being able to select gears on the track. I can say that I had this issue last week a couple of times with the stock mounts. Some of the other issues that these guys are complaining of (broken CV / axles) could also be due to the type of application that they use their cars for. ie Street racing and 1/4 mile stuff.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by theedge
I went with a new mount filled with polyurethane. Trans has very little side to side movement to it, even without the axles installed.
This is a very interesting design Brian. While I'm not keen at all on the solid one, this hybrid one may be a good compromise. And where did you buy the Dap caulk, Home Depot?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil R
perhaps it might get old if you commute long distances everyday
I swapped to solid on my dd 2 months ago, 5000 miles or so, and my daily commute of 88 miles each way is quite enjoyable....
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
This is a very interesting design Brian. While I'm not keen at all on the solid one, this hybrid one may be a good compromise. And where did you buy the Dap caulk, Home Depot?

Actually yes, Home Depot or Rona Revy
Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i still think an extra link from low on the box to the chasis rail is the answer there were pics earlier I'm sure i could whip that up in no time
Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
asoduk
Advanced

any idea what the hardness rating of the DAP stuff is vs the 3M windowweld?

Quick Reply: I love my new soild trans mount