Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Depape
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DIY chip tuning... ?

Hey guys,

Just gauging some interest......

I've been working on a turbo build for my bmw M52 motor and just got into messing around with tuning the stock ecu. I've started deciphering the hex code in the stock .bin file from the ecu (chip) to try and figure out whats going on inside the ECU. Once everythig is deciphered the ecu can be tweaked/tuned by changing values in the tables and reburning a chip. All this would cost less than $100 (but dyno time and a datalogger would be ideal). This has been done for OBD1 BMW ECU's and Some pre 90's 911's (and of course the whole domestic scene).

Im by no means an expert on this, as I've only been looking into it over the past month, but I'd like to know if anyone has looked into reburning chips your self or if anyone has done this for our P-cars?
I'm sure if we get enough people to work together we can figure this out.

Im also just gauging interest into how many people would be willing to figure this out. It'd be more of a DIY apporach and let you have more flexiblity (or opportunities for error :P ).

I know this is kinda vauge, but I'd be more than happy to explain what i know so far and link you to some BMW threads.

Thanks!
-Pieter
Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Depape
Im by no means an expert on this, as I've only been looking into it over the past month, but I'd like to know if anyone has looked into reburning chips your self or if anyone has done this for our P-cars? I'm sure if we get enough people to work together we can figure this out. Im also just gauging interest into how many people would be willing to figure this out. It'd be more of a DIY apporach and let you have more flexiblity.
There are so many proven chip companies, let alone ones that are Rennlist vendors, why would someone want to even chance this with their engine? I don't get it, unless it's purely for educational purposes. Why not go with a 'proven' chip company? Just to name one, have you ever heard of --->Vitesse Racing?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i have heard its really hard to reverse engineer the motronic computers (thats the stock dme and klr right?). Either way, it is kind of risky to do to such a temperamental motor. Normally I am all about DIY but if your going to go that route, get a full standalone or just go with a known companies chip.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

maxtronic\maxtune

www.maxhpkit.com

does pretty much exactly what your looking for and is user friendly.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Gregor hall and another member called trans axle have successfully done it there is some sofware available to help perhaps they'l be along soon not sure how much time it took
Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

how much is that MAXHP set up ?? last i remeber it was heaps
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 AM
eniac
Drifting

Once you figure out all the values, all you need is a cheap basic Eprom and a local radio shack to order blank chips from. What I would do is buy an aftermarket chip and compare that to a stock chip. See what values were altered. This will help in the process of elimination in case you want to change any other values. Some of the better Eproms can run in a virtual mode so you can leave in plug it and don't actually need to burn a chip...sorta like an OBDII.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can understand if you are just interested what comes to the tecnical point of view.Otherwise it's just waste of money if you just need to burn one chip. I have all necessary equipment at home and it is interesting to compare different 951 .bin files. If you need advice which chip to choose, go Vitesse Racing route.
Here's my Eprom burner

Old 10-08-2008, 03:55 AM
blown 944
Race Car

so how hard is it to read and recognize what files do what on 951 chip?

I bet I could pick up a chip burner pretty cheap. this is just up my Alley
Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

It's not that difficult at all. I have used for example free Motronic Editor, a little bit difficult program to use at the start, but usable anyway after some learning period. I have also acces to Winols, which works better.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Depape
Racer

Originally Posted by eniac
Once you figure out all the values, all you need is a cheap basic Eprom and a local radio shack to order blank chips from. What I would do is buy an aftermarket chip and compare that to a stock chip. See what values were altered. This will help in the process of elimination in case you want to change any other values. Some of the better Eproms can run in a virtual mode so you can leave in plug it and don't actually need to burn a chip...sorta like an OBDII.

Exactly. Comparing to a "proven chip" could show what they changed and help figure out the values and identifiers inside the ECU.

I guess it's just the engineer in me but I would rather do it myself, or at least try to learn whats going on (even if I end up using the same edited values as the Proven ones). I just think its interesting to see and if you ever buy a modification after you've bought your chip, you dont need to go pay heaps of money for another chip to account for the modification.

Reading the Hex and understanding the "internals" of the ECU isn't that bad. Winols is all you need to read the hex bin file. and a editer like the ones mentioned or Tuner Pro RT would work. Tuner Pro is free .

I don't see what the point in spending tons of money on a standalone when we can achieve the same thing for alot less money and modification. And tuner companies that burn you chips do the exact same thing. yes, it might take more work and effort... but I think it'd be fun.

I hope the guy's who have done this chime in. And I just wanted to see who'd be interested. I'm at work right now and can't check out anything posted (but for some reason rennlist is unblocked ) I'll post some information about reading a stock bin file, and hopefully we can get one loaded up here soon.

-thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I started here:
http://members.rennlist.com/mark944turbo/home.html
I found chips on e-bay for a couple bucks each.
Have changed idle fuel and WOT timing maps in my chips with good results. Adjusting fuel delivery I did with an adjustable amplifier circuit b/t the AFM and the DME.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Depape
Racer

Can't get the site to work^^^^

Does anyone have a stock 944 bin file I could mess around with? I'd like to try and look for some key identifiers and find out where what maps are located.

Hp18racer, do you have any info on this?

thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Depape
Racer

For those of you interested here's the link to get a free version of winols:
http://www.evc.de/en/download/down_winols.asp

I'd most likely end up using Tuner Pro RT. It needs a definition file (.xdf) to tell it where the maps are located in the bin file. once the definition file is created everything should be relatively user friendly. (and its free )

http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/

Mike said that he could send me a .bin file. Hopefully the identifiers and maps wont be that hard to find .
Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I think this would be great. A/M chips are never perfect for every car. I know from experience. If you could set everything up specifically for your car it would be great.

Quick Reply: DIY chip tuning... ?