Another acadamy award !!!
Awesome video
Regards
Ed
Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM
RobE952
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Eddie! Those look great! I can't wait to see mine lookin that good. Are those new pad backing plates I see behind the calipers? Where did you get them?

Thanks for the good advice guys. I'll leave the scraper seals in for powder coating but I think I am going to take the plunge with Eddie and try to get those damn pad guide plates out (I'm a sucker for this kind of maddening task). I'll try putting them in the oven to melt that locktight and then pray/curse until they either come out or strip. Worse case I figure is if I strip em, I'll just leave them in and powder coat over them (or mask them off).
Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RobE952
Wow Eddie! Those look great! I can't wait to see mine lookin that good. Are those new pad backing plates I see behind the calipers? Where did you get them?

Thanks for the good advice guys. I'll leave the scraper seals in for powder coating but I think I am going to take the plunge with Eddie and try to get those damn pad guide plates out (I'm a sucker for this kind of maddening task). I'll try putting them in the oven to melt that locktight and then pray/curse until they either come out or strip. Worse case I figure is if I strip em, I'll just leave them in and powder coat over them (or mask them off).
Thanks for the kind words
Actually no, I just cleaned them up and then had them plated .. I think they are a type of SS because they really don't rust ... Some stainless can be plated. BTW Porsche does sell them in a kit.
You can use the oven method as Olli ( who helped me countless times )suggested in that other link I gave you, or you can do the heat gun. I did the heat gun, but it honestly took about 7 mins on high for each screw! I highly recommend, if you use the heat gun method, to use a insulated protection plate ( I used heavy duty cardboard and aluminum foil to cover the pistons to protect them from the heat gun... And just as I was about to remove the screw I sprayed the head with brake cleaner to help the screw cool the screw down and contract ( while the caliper around it was so hot and then carefully removed the Allen screw...
On the stripped screws I slotted the screw heads and used an impact hammer ... Don't ask me how I got it in there, but I did
Good luck ( I am so glad I got that over with as it was a freakin nightmare !!)
Edit Sorry, I meant impact screw driver not hammer I used the hammer on the screwdriver :-)

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 05-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

An impact screwdriver might do the trick getting those screws out - use an allen socket on it: http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

I'd still heat them up. Don't worry, they can stand some heat (and you're going to replace the seals after powder coating anyway. So, pop them in the oven (or toaster oven) and heat them up to 350 degrees.

Quick Reply: turbo s brake caliper seal differences?