Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

turbo s brake caliper seal differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo s brake caliper seal differences?

I need to rebuild my turbo S calipers due to them not releasing well at the track. Disassemble confirmed scuffed pistons and some wear on the anodizing.

My question is, can the newer "dust boot" outer seal pistons be used on the earlier "scraper ring" calipers. I have to order all new pistons anyway and the dust boot design looks better and is 1/2 the price of the inferior older style outer ring.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:57 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont think that can be updated, but I could be wrong. I have rebuilt many calipers and IIRC I remembered looking at that option at one point in time for a customer, but didn't think it would work. Once you put in new pots and scraper rings, you probably don't have any more issues for years.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
azmi951
Drifting

ordered 8 new pistons and seals for the scraper ring style. ouch!!!!! $400
Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Contadino
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pistons and seals for '89 turbo S

I just purchased the rebuild kits for my '89 Turbo S from Sunset Imports. P/N 951-351-919-10 and 928-351-919-10. Prices were $14.12 and $14.71 respectively. The kits include the piston, seal, dust seal, pack of installation lubricant, and instructions. The instructions are printed in 85 languages using 2 point font but I did learn one thing from them. They said to depress the brake pedal half way to prevent the brake fluid from leaking out after the caliper is removed. I'm going to try that on the other side. One the first side I had to run to Ace Hardware to buy a bolt to thread into the line to stop the master cylinder reservoir from emptying out. I hope their recommendation works. See photo.

Last edited by Contadino; 10-31-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome!! Thanks for the info on the Sunset kits!!

I just got a set of Turbo S calipers that need rebuilt.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Contadino
I just purchased the rebuild kits for my '89 Turbo S from Sunset Imports. P/N 951-351-919-10 and 928-351-919-10. Prices were $14.12 and $14.71 respectively. The kits include the piston, seal, dust seal, pack of installation lubricant, and instructions. The instructions are printed in 85 languages using 2 point font but I did learn one thing from them. They said to depress the brake pedal half way to prevent the brake fluid from leaking out after the caliper is removed. I'm going to try that on the other side. One the first side I had to run to Ace Hardware to buy a bolt to thread into the line to stop the master cylinder reservoir from emptying out. I hope their recommendation works. See photo.
Question
Do the 88TS and the 89 TS share the same brakes ?
And how much brake fluid is needed to refill a completely dry system ..( bone dry )
Thanks
Ed
Old 11-14-2010, 02:16 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Contadino
How did you get the pistons out? I've got some spare parts laying around, but I can't get all of my pistons out. WHen I've done this in the past, I just put a block of wood in the middle, and hit it with compressed air - all four pistons popped out. WIth these, both the front (TS) and the rear, only one piston wants to come out. i've managed to get three out in a couple of them by reinstalling, putting additional blocks of wood in some spots, etc. But I still can't get all of them out. I've managed to mangle a couple of pistons when the stuff I had my pilars wrapped in wore through, but I'm still not getting them out.

Any suggestions? SHould I just assume I need to finish mangling them?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:26 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a question pertaining to this thread....

How do I know the difference between the different style of calipers? I just bought a pair to update me car (I know its an NA.... Don't start ). The calipers I got need to be rebuilt, but obviously I need to know which style they are.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
67King
Race Car

Related question - anyone do this without replacing the scraper ring? All of mine are early style, and the only way to get the scraper ring is with the kit. And the cheapest place I can find the kits (which is pretty close to what Sunset charges) comes up with about $630 to rebuild all four brakes. 67Queen isn't going to be happy if I have to do that.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
Related question - anyone do this without replacing the scraper ring? All of mine are early style, and the only way to get the scraper ring is with the kit. And the cheapest place I can find the kits (which is pretty close to what Sunset charges) comes up with about $630 to rebuild all four brakes. 67Queen isn't going to be happy if I have to do that.
I found this to be true as well
I have the turbo S brakes ( 928 S4 ) and that's the sad truth The parts alone are 42 dollars a piston x 16 ( 4 pistons per caliper x 4 calipers) Rear and Fronts
That's just for the parts !!
Regrettably, I think the Queen will not be happy ....
Regards
Ed
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I just hear back from Sunset
It seems that they are different parts ......for the 88 Turbos S
The part number for your car is 951-351-919-01 and 928-351-919-01 the price for the kit is $44.22 and $34.75 respectively and I believe the kit is for one piston .

That is one piston for each type of caliper 928 and 951 OUCH!!
Why they are different than the 89's beats the **** outta me ??
best regards
Ed
Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM
RobE952
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm just starting a caliper rebuild / powder coat on my '88 Turbo S and was wondering if anyone can confirm that my calipers are the 'scraper ring' design vs the 'bellows' design. See pics below of caliper and piston w/ seal.

Also, I figure I need to remove the scraper rings for the powder coating, what's the best technique for pulling them out?

Has anyone been able to remove those 4mm allen-head bolts (just to the left of the first pic) for the plates on the inside of the caliper?? I've stripped 2 and they haven't begun to move. I guess they will get powder coated with the rest of the caliper?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, you have the scraper ring design.

I powder coated my calipers with the scraper rings (just masked that area off), but then replaced the seals afterwards. So far I've done several track events and no problems!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCLqUREvKm8
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Well Rob I got some not so great news ...
Those are a bitch to get out See this thread .. It says it all
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...n-caliper.html
I used a heat gun to melt the seven tons of loctite the factory used on those screws If you don't heat it up you will most likely strip the screws
Can't answer on the scraper ring, as I didn't change those but you should remove the brake guide plates if you are powder coating as there isn't much clearance for the pads to slip in
The brake can be powder coated with the seals in They don't have to be removed
Good luck
Regards
Ed
Originally Posted by RobE952
Hey guys,

I'm just starting a caliper rebuild / powder coat on my '88 Turbo S and was wondering if anyone can confirm that my calipers are the 'scraper ring' design vs the 'bellows' design. See pics below of caliper and piston w/ seal.

Also, I figure I need to remove the scraper rings for the powder coating, what's the best technique for pulling them out?

Has anyone been able to remove those 4mm allen-head bolts (just to the left of the first pic) for the plates on the inside of the caliper?? I've stripped 2 and they haven't begun to move. I guess they will get powder coated with the rest of the caliper?
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default BTW Really happy the way they came out

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: turbo s brake caliper seal differences?