Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WOT throttle adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT throttle adjustment

I'm suspecting my throttle adjustments as a problem with my limp mode boost issue.
When I pull the throttle fully open with my hand on the throttle body it opens fully, hitting the stop.
When I use something to jam the gas pedal all the way down, I can see the throttle body is not opening fully.
If I adjust the cable so the gas pedal opens the throttle fully, it does not leave enough adjustment to let the throttle close completely. I've searched the archives and looked at the manual, but do not see the procedure for adjusting this.
How is this supposed to be done?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

you need to adjust the basic throttle stop setting 1st before adjusting the cable.

95sl320 dd
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
eniac
Drifting

You should never have to touch the mechanical throttle stop on the throttle body. I would check out the cabel, make sure it's not cracked/broken/stretched, then check around the gas pedal for any issues as well. It's should be easy to adjust so it has just a bit of slack when closed and still goes full throttle when the pedal is pushed.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

I can't adjust mine so it closes completely and opens fully. I was able to get close, I had to slightly open the throttle on the closed setting, and adjust the TPS to suit, with this setting, accel pedal floored *almost* fully opens the throttle. It did seem to be quite a bit faster adjusted this way, it was way off before. I reset the idle (had to turn in the adjusting screw fully) and it idles OK. There is a plastic stop screw under the accel pedal that I was able to turn in to get the pedal down lower when floored.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eniac
You should never have to touch the mechanical throttle stop on the throttle body. I would check out the cabel, make sure it's not cracked/broken/stretched, then check around the gas pedal for any issues as well. It's should be easy to adjust so it has just a bit of slack when closed and still goes full throttle when the pedal is pushed.
you're right, you should never need to deal with the stop unless someone else has, and it's not adjusted right and it needs to be checked to be sure.

the locknut needs to be loosened and the screw should be touching the stop + 1/4 turn and the locknut tightened.

95sl320 dd
Old 10-08-2008, 02:36 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

I guess that would be why there is no info on this. I must have a stretched cable- there is no adjustment I can do for WOT and the throttle fully closing. This may be the problem I'm having with the KLR limiting my boost- the values are not correct.....
I'm going to "rig" my cable tomorrow to shorten it ,and adjust it to spec, maybe this is my problem!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

"adjust to spec".
it's got two jam nuts that allow movement to lengthen or shorten as needed.

you said you adjusted the tps to suit, it has to be adjusted properly to let the dme know if you're accelerating/decelerating or idling and clarks has the test/setup.

you should hear a click when you move the throttle cam..

that's part of why the basic idle stop setting has got to be right beefore you do the cable..

95sl320 dd
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

adjust the cable on the intake bracket so that there is almost no slack- sorry set the basic throttle stop first,if it has been messed with already. Back of the locknut and backoff the set screw, turn the screw in until it just touches the linkage and then turn it in another 1/8 to 1/4 turn and lock it there with the nut. At this point make sure the idle switch clicks just off idle and make sure that it clicks again as the throttle is released. If it does not, adjust the TPS until it does. Now adjust the cable at the bracket on the intake. have a helper in the car push the pedal all the way to the floor, check the throttle plate and see if it is Wide open, the linkage should be touching the upper stop, just touching. If it is too tight the cable will eventually break. If the linkage is not fully against the stop, adjust the pedal stop under the throttle pedal to allow more travel. If the pedal stop is bottomed out and you still don't have full throttle at the throttle body, then the cable has stretched. I have never seen one that could not be adjusted, i have replaced several broken cables but never seen one that had stretched to the point where it could not be set correctly.

Good luck, Mark T.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Update on this. I did manange to get it set, but it's probably pretty well stretched, and weak throttle spring. When trying to see how far the gas pedal will go up (when throttle is shut), it was hanging up on a plastic cam that was part of the cruise control. I was able to put in a much stronger throttle spring to pull the thottle shut past this cam after slacking the cable. Have full pedal travel now.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with a new throttle cable, I could not get the throttle to hit the stop and open all the way. I got the tps to click when the throttle returns and said f#ck it.

Quick Reply: WOT throttle adjustment