Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Carpet info/picture request

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Carpet info/picture request

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new carpet from World Upholstery and I'm pretty sure I'm going with Feintuft Velour. I'm just not sure which color - my original carpet is Cashmere, but very badly faded. I'm guessing the original color is what they call "Champaign", but mine looks closer to "Beige". It looks like beige would be a closer match to the center console and dash though. So for those who bought a replacement carpet, which color did you end up with, and how well does it match the interior? Post pictures of your interior!

Another option I'm thinking about is black carpet. If anyone has pictures of a Cashmere interior with black carpet, I'd love to see them. What is everyone's thought on this color combination?

I kept finding references to Tweek - which is now Mid America Motorworks (I think). It doesn't look like they are doing Porsche parts anymore. Shame too - it sounded like they offered carpet sets with the factory molded foam backing.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put up a pic of your interior and I'll tell ya what you have. Here is champaign
Attached Images     
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you happen to love vacuuming, get the black. I have the brown carpet, and it's the first dark colored carpet I have had in 15 years, and I had forgetten how much dirt it shows.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
put up a pic of your interior and I'll tell ya what you have. Here is champaign
I didn't want to post pictures, because they're a bit big, but here is what I have:

http://gallery.mac.com/curt.phillips...G_0994/web.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/curt.phillips...C00006/web.jpg

When I had the dash recovered, he called it "Cashmere". The champaign looks too yellow, IMO. Beige looks to be a closer match.

I'd still like to see a picture of a black carpet in a two-toned Cashmere interior.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

okay. THIS color gets tricky. This is either grey beige or that other one. It's not linen or champagne.

Okay guys, what color is it?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

cashmere and champagne are nearly identicle. That isn't either. Is that pic of the new dash or the old one?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the 968 and 951 pics, above, are either champagne or cashmere, depending on the year.
I'm going with grey beige.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
CurtP
Drifting

I sent an e-mail to World Upholstery and they said send them a sample. So I cut three different samples and none of them match. The first sample is from the back of the rear seat where it goes under the hatch carpet - looks unfaded and is quite darker than the majority of the carpet that is exposed. The second sample came from the driver's side footwell above the dead pedal. Darker than the exposed carpet, but not as dark as the sample taken from the rear of the car. The third sample came from the passenger side footwell, behind the flap that covers the board/computers. It's fairly close to the driver's side, but about a shade darker. I tried to take all three samples from areas not exposed to sunlight.

What's more is that the three samples are considerably darker than the freshly recovered dash, center console and the door panels. I don't think it's a good match at all! So I guess if I want a lighter carpet, I need to order several carpet samples and see which matches best, because nobody seems to know.

And that brings me to a black carpet. No worries about if it matches or not and I think World is about the only decent aftermarket carpet available in colors other than black. I know several people have installed black carpet in the two-toned interiors - I'd like to see some pictures to see if I like the look or not. I know black shows lint and dirt, but so does Cashmere/beige/champaign (which normally looks dirty, IMO). The lighter carpet has kind of grown on me and I don't want to ruin the look.

The first picture is of the old dash/steering wheel (a picture from the PO). The second picture is of the new dash.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Who did the dash? If that person told you it was cahmpagne/cashmere, he was either a completely ignorant person, in Porsce interiors, or he flat out lied.
The dash looks linen, but I can't tell from the lighting in the pic. If it is, I would think that the dash would look whiter than the seats. Is that the case?
Here's a pic or two of champage, with black carpet. I don't really have a good pic of linen, but search nurberger. I think his is linen.

okay pics are too big. search gregeast you find pics of his interior. It has balck carpet.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that your car is an '87 or '88. The color I found to match best, using some samples from Automotion that they sent me for free, was the Linen.

I got some Lloyds Mats in Grey Beige, and those are a bit darker and a touch more pink than the Linen.

The interesting thing, however, is that the vinyl interior bits match up perfectly with the Grey-Beige of the '86.

The '89's have a much whiter colored interior - not sure what that color is called.

If I were you I would ask for some samples from Automotion/Performance Products and see what matches best.

Good luck,

Keith
Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Your seats are definitely grey beige, and the carpet currently in the car, matches the seats perfectly. That's your color. The question is what the hell color is your dash?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Who did the dash? If that person told you it was cahmpagne/cashmere, he was either a completely ignorant person, in Porsce interiors, or he flat out lied.
No, I'm the idiot. I went back and looked at the e-mails and his gallery - he called it "Linen". It was done by Bob Budd. My apologies for the confusion.

Originally Posted by kdjones2000
My guess is that your car is an '87 or '88. The color I found to match best, using some samples from Automotion that they sent me for free, was the Linen.
My car is an '87. I've requested samples from World Upholstery since they don't list "linen" as an available color. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I haven't heard of Automotion - I guess I'll go search for them and look at the carpet sets they offer.

Your seats are definitely grey beige, and the carpet currently in the car, matches the seats perfectly. That's your color. The question is what the hell color is your dash?
Weird how the seats and carpet matches, isn't it? The carpet is badly faded - the samples I cut out of the carpet in the non-exposed areas is much darker and doesn't match at all. I've checked several places on the seats and it doesn't appear that they've faded. The PO told me the seats were out of a 968, but I don't recall what year they were supposedly from. One thing that I'm worried about is the rear seat back is split in the middle. Did any 951 come like that? The seats are in near-perfect shape with the exception that the passenger side seatback does not flip forward. I was going to try to fix it when I gutted the interior to replace the carpet.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:49 PM
CurtP
Drifting

search gregeast you find pics of his interior. It has balck carpet.
Wowza!

I like it! It really makes the seats, center console and dash stand out. I'm still looking through some of his posts looking at his pictures. I may end up with black carpet after all!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

okay, first find out if world upholstery will make the carpet in the sliverknit carpet. If so, sliverknit comes in Linen.
If they won't do it, go to the feintuft velour. you'll have to get samples of everything that looks close to linen and grey beige. I would also look into the color on the domstic cut pile.
Go from there.
That's my 0.02
Old 09-17-2008, 02:54 PM
CurtP
Drifting

I just got off the phone with WU. When I inquired about sliverknit, I was given the line "that's not available because it isn't original to your car" to which I responded "well, neither is the domestic pile or cut pile". I don't think she appreciated my response. The story changed to "we don't make that carpet set in sliverknit". Why? That makes very little sense to me if they make the carpet sets, but whatever.

So Feintuft it is. They're sending samples so I can match it. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to go with a matching carpet or if I'll go with a black carpet. Gregeast's interior is very nice - I keep looking at pictures of it. I would like to see how it looks in Linen though.

ehall - during my searches, I came across quite a few of your posts asking questions about carpet. What did you end up doing? Curiosity has the best of me.

Quick Reply: Carpet info/picture request