Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Transaxle Feels Like Its Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008 | 04:55 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Default My Transaxle Feels Like Its Moving

on a hard take off or doing a small burnout on wet pavement, the transaxle feels as if it is moving like bad motor mounts. And it sounds like it is hitting the bottomn of the car, but not very loud. what could this be?
Old 09-11-2008 | 05:53 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

FWIW the stock tranny mount is flexible. I'd check there first to make sure the bolts are tight, also check the bolts on the crossmember, although I doubt it's that as it would probably make a helluva racket.
Old 09-11-2008 | 07:53 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Originally Posted by bigdeano
FWIW the stock tranny mount is flexible. I'd check there first to make sure the bolts are tight, also check the bolts on the crossmember, although I doubt it's that as it would probably make a helluva racket.
ok but I don't remember my 944S every doing that
Old 09-11-2008 | 07:56 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bigdeano
FWIW the stock tranny mount is flexible. I'd check there first to make sure the bolts are tight.
+2

I had that happen to me one time before. I think it may be a good place to start. And if he is there, check the condition of the tranny mount too, for it could be worn and flex more than usual.
Old 09-11-2008 | 11:02 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by dillon410021
on a hard take off or doing a small burnout on wet pavement, the transaxle feels as if it is moving like bad motor mounts. And it sounds like it is hitting the bottomn of the car, but not very loud. what could this be?
The factory mount, very good I may add, had a solid rubber bushing within the metal frame. This mount will break over time. It will stay within the confines of the metal frame, but becomes useless when tq is applied. I've taken mine out of another car, and it was in pieces around the mounting bolt.

Check to make sure that everything is tight, but it's likely a bad mount. My similar experience anyway.

George
Old 09-12-2008 | 12:01 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Might be a good time to invest into a solid transmission mount. I think lindsey sells one. Anyone have any info to share on the solid mount?
Old 09-12-2008 | 01:18 AM
George D
Drifting

Yeah, don't do it unless it's a dedicated track car. It's a great mount, but not for anyone that likes AC, smooth cruising, and quiet, fast 951's.

But know this, it is an awesome necessary track 951 part.

I know. I've installed one, and sold one. My car is driven on the streets with AC, stereo, and wanted no noise from my rear end but the occasional.....

Enough said.

G
Old 09-12-2008 | 01:24 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

And I was on the verge of buying one
Great input...thanks George!!
Old 09-12-2008 | 01:59 AM
George D
Drifting

I will state that once going it's fairly quiet. Know that you will hear the load while spooling in lower gears.

It is an awesome designed part. Those that don't care about the engineering that went into the sound dampering designed into the factory mount would be happy. Honestly, once cruising, it was almost as stock. Just the initial load bearing on metal to metal vibration caused me to go back to the factory sound dampering designed mount.

If you want the best mount for our cars, the LR mount is available. I'm not stating that I didn't like the LR mount and it's intended usage. If my car was a dedicated track car, it would be used on my car.

I will assume that if you have a perfectly balanced new transmission, the noise that I personally heard in my car would be diminished slightly.

I'm just attempting to recreate the factory noise within my cabin while putting down over twice the HP. I'm sure that a stock car would not hear what I heard with a solid mount transmission. Know that I was almost doubling the factory TQ using this trans mount.

I bet a 300 whp car would not hear what I heard based on what we found happening in my transmission.

My personal response may be simply hearing my main bearing grinding against the case.

LR may chime in here. I don't want to sound like a customer with any complaint. I truly liked their design, and may use it again with my new transmission, if I find that the noise was my faulty box.

Regards,

George
Old 09-12-2008 | 02:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spoolin51
And I was on the verge of buying one
Great input...thanks George!!
I think in this case George was referring to output...
Old 09-12-2008 | 07:39 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

I will look into this plus my AC doesn't work
Old 09-12-2008 | 09:30 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

There are a number of threads, that discuss options on controlling transmission movement from solid mounts to panhard rods. If you do a search on "shifter" you'll find a thread that I recently started on various options, and there are others that discuss panhard rods

My car is a dedicated track car, running in the stock class, so stock horswepower. I was having transmission issues, and I recently modified mine using the liquid mount method, which adds to the stock mount and stiffens it up.

I considered the solid mount but went with the intermediate solution, as I am not putting out high horsepower. If I was high horsepower I might have done something different.
Old 09-12-2008 | 11:57 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by spoolin51
Might be a good time to invest into a solid transmission mount. I think lindsey sells one. Anyone have any info to share on the solid mount?
There are tons of threads on this. As George said I wouldn't get one unless it's a dedicated track car. I had one and immediately ripped it out of my street car, I would never, ever again get another one.

Quick Reply: My Transaxle Feels Like Its Moving