Help me Rennlist/Black smoke on boost/Running rich/some pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Airflite40
no autothority chips here, I have the maxHp chips burned for my MAF.

Thanks Derek! I have some Q's for u, let me formulate them and I will PM u.
Hokay
Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT: When were you up at RA? I was working out there for a race team this past summer...Formula Atlantics, F1's, CSRs. We did a number of races, including the June Sprints and Kohler International Challenge. Did you go?

What a magical track. I was fortunate enough to get my car out onto the track during a non-spectator race weekend. Maybe 15 cars on track total; enabled me to romp the hell out of the thing. Amazing, simply amazing.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick I'm not sure I agree with these assessments.

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
Nice car. +1 on the wideband O2. Stop trying to lean it too much, it will be fine on the rich side.
While I believe a car on the rich side is safer (from a goes boom quickly perspective) then a car on a lean side is, it's still not a good thing either and it'll be fine isn't accurate advice. Excessively rich cars are know for loosening carbon deposits in the CC (potential scratches), washing the oil from cylinder walls (ring/wall damage), dumping fuel into the crank case and damaging bearings (smell your dipstick), and lowering EGT's which hurts spool through decreased exhaust velocity. I agree that getting a WB02 is important as it's critical on how rich we're talking here. 11.5 to 1 I wouldn't be worried too much but 10.2 to 1 (I read a decent amount of black smoke) then I would be concerned running it that way. He's concerned that it's running excessively rich.

You shouldn't run 18psi+ on the 93/94 pump gas for a lot of reasons
There is no reason why he shouldn't be able run 18psi on 93/94 pump gas provided he has the proper fuel delivery, EGT's are in check, and he's seeing no knock. Most modern K26/6 chips are programmed for 18 psi with a 3.0 bar FPR. The tune is the most important aspect here. We can run 40 psi on 87 octane with the right tune and I've run plenty of cars on the dyno @ 18 psi with a clean AFR and no detonation. Oh yeah...on 91 octane with 100+ degree ambient temps. I've also run it on the track this way and haven't lost a motor in 10 years.

Clean the plugs before you track and run 100 octane race gas. for one the extra octane will help the charge burn better and it will make more boost and HP; it will seem like it is leaner even though there was no adjustment. If you can find higher octane, run it! As soon as I go back to 93/94 mine seems to be more pig rich than when I run a tank of 100.
Not true here at all. Octane, as a rating, does not directly relate to 'energy content' or 'power' in anyway. At the end of the day octane predicts a fuel's ability to withstand knock. Increased octane only allows you to make more power by increasing timing, boost, compression, etc. In fact, higher octane level actually makes the fuel harder to burn, at least as it related to the effects of pressure and heat. If you make more power by only switching octane then that tells me that you are either running too much boost for your tune, or too much of a tune for your boost. Either way, running a higher octane in this case will not lean his car out and I believe if you put your car on a dyno you'll see that it's not richening up on 94 compared to 100 at the same boost level.

Borys, In the case of your car, provided the FPR and injectors are fine, I would be looking at the chips. Under full load @18 psi you're most likely relying on a predefined map which appears to be really rich. If you logged the signal from the SciVision you'll probably see you're maxing out the signal and no longer reading actual air mass and at that throttle angle you're not using the information from the 02 anyway. Try a chip swap with someone as I don't believe, based on what I've read in your posts, that it's a mechanical issue. If you had said it runs poorly or lacks power then I would have told you to start checking compression or looking for a bad vacuum leak
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeremy, your posts are always enlightening. Thanks for not posting mundane and poorly thought out answers. EVER.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks guys. RA pics are from this past weekend, the labor day PCA event. My friend club races his black S2.

Thanks for your input Jeremy, I just recently replaced my rod bearings, and they did not look bad, I mean no uneven or unusual wear.
I don't think the engine is running so rich that fuel is washing down the cylinders, But I think its running rich enough to blow black smoke when I hit boost according to what my friend saw.
I put the FQS in position 2 which is -3.1% fuel and the car seems to run less rich, doesn't backfire as much as it does at 0, but still runs very very strong.
The 3.0 FPR was installed new 1 yr ago same time when I changed the injectors.

I am starting to think its more chips, they are maxHp chips provided when I bought the MAF. Its possible they are not the correct configuration for the car, although the sticker on the chip matches the configuration I have. I really think that piggyback is the way to go for me now, once I get my wideband installed.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Rick I'm not sure I agree with these assessments.

While I believe a car on the rich side is safer (from a goes boom quickly perspective) then a car on a lean side is, it's still not a good thing either and it'll be fine isn't accurate advice. Excessively rich cars are know for loosening carbon deposits in the CC (potential scratches), washing the oil from cylinder walls (ring/wall damage), dumping fuel into the crank case and damaging bearings (smell your dipstick), and lowering EGT's which hurts spool through decreased exhaust velocity. I agree that getting a WB02 is important as it's critical on how rich we're talking here. 11.5 to 1 I wouldn't be worried too much but 10.2 to 1 (I read a decent amount of black smoke) then I would be concerned running it that way. He's concerned that it's running excessively rich.

There is no reason why he shouldn't be able run 18psi on 93/94 pump gas provided he has the proper fuel delivery, EGT's are in check, and he's seeing no knock. Most modern K26/6 chips are programmed for 18 psi with a 3.0 bar FPR. The tune is the most important aspect here. We can run 40 psi on 87 octane with the right tune and I've run plenty of cars on the dyno @ 18 psi with a clean AFR and no detonation. Oh yeah...on 91 octane with 100+ degree ambient temps. I've also run it on the track this way and haven't lost a motor in 10 years.

Not true here at all. Octane, as a rating, does not directly relate to 'energy content' or 'power' in anyway. At the end of the day octane predicts a fuel's ability to withstand knock. Increased octane only allows you to make more power by increasing timing, boost, compression, etc. In fact, higher octane level actually makes the fuel harder to burn, at least as it related to the effects of pressure and heat. If you make more power by only switching octane then that tells me that you are either running too much boost for your tune, or too much of a tune for your boost. Either way, running a higher octane in this case will not lean his car out and I believe if you put your car on a dyno you'll see that it's not richening up on 94 compared to 100 at the same boost level.

Borys, In the case of your car, provided the FPR and injectors are fine, I would be looking at the chips. Under full load @18 psi you're most likely relying on a predefined map which appears to be really rich. If you logged the signal from the SciVision you'll probably see you're maxing out the signal and no longer reading actual air mass and at that throttle angle you're not using the information from the 02 anyway. Try a chip swap with someone as I don't believe, based on what I've read in your posts, that it's a mechanical issue. If you had said it runs poorly or lacks power then I would have told you to start checking compression or looking for a bad vacuum leak
Well I'll be bitch slapped!
While it is true that Octane is not a measure of deflagration (burn) I did say it was "race gas" and while I do not have the formula handy, I was told by the Torco fuel folks that most race gas is not only formulated with high octane so you can run higher compression, or boost, or tune, or all of the above, but various race fuels are also formulated to provide provide different heat (thus, energy) at different compression, boost, tune levels. It is these other properties of "Race Gas" (like oxegenators, heptane, etc.) that help create fuel with a greater number of carbon bonds that will carry more energy. Other properties of gasoline and engine design also account for the manner at which deflagration takes place and at what flame speed. In my experience, 100 Octane race gas burns better and more completely in my car and in others. This is a fact, not BS. It's not because of the Octane and I did not say it was because of the Octane. Got that??

While I appreciate your dressing down, as you are certainly very knowledgeable and I do not disagre with your assertions, please don't assume I am a putz -- though, I play one on TV! My advice was simple and to the point. I did not say to add an Octane booster, I said to add "100 Octane race gas." Big difference. I did not assume he was a master mechanic with access to all the latest test gear and unlimited time either.

Filling the tank awith betrter quality racing gasoline with a higher octane rating and not stressing over a perfect tune was, and is still, solid advice. Perfecting his tune is also good advice. My doff my hat to you

I'm re-tuning over the witnter with new MAF, etc., and will let you know what I discover. FYI, happily I might add, I haven't touched the high boost setting in 12 months since it was set to 1 BAR before installing the 3" Fabspeed full exhaust with a custom 3" downpipe. It made 1.2BAR using the same setting post exhaust, on 93 pump, with a little black smoke. It was tuned by Powertech in NJ afte the exhaust went on. When I run 100 race it makes 1.45 BAR on the same exact setting and it most certainly is "burning" much better (which to anyone else would appear to be running "leaner," though not technically leaner) with virtualy no black smoke at all, and no residue.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

It's not because of the Octane and I did not say it was because of the Octane. Got that??...
Ok, I did say it was because of the octane, but I did not mean that. Will type more slowly next time.

In this instance you were correct in bitch slapping me. He might have added an octane booster instead and that would be bad.

My apologies. HOWEVER, the rest of my rebuttal post stands!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I did say it was because of the octane, but I did not mean that. Will type more slowly next time.

In this instance you were correct in bitch slapping me. He might have added an octane booster instead and that would be bad.

My apologies. HOWEVER, the rest of my rebuttal post stands!!!
LOL. Under no circumstances was that a bitch slap. Or even intended as a mild one. Just a clarification and no I don't think your a putz. Besides Jersey exiles need to stick together.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

sorry to go slightly off topic here......But this theread has morphed into something quite interesting...

I understand octane rating is the level of resistance to spontaneous combustion, but does octane rating have an effect on flame speed?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Apparently discussion of it does...
Old 09-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

+1 here as well.

I have the same problem, and was shown the meatball at the glenn. I figured it was the normal black smoke, but they said it would get worse. Since I couldn't see it, I called the track day quits, because I didn't want to wash down the cylinders. I haven't found the cause, but the culprits I intend on targetting at the FPR and the chips.

Quick Reply: Help me Rennlist/Black smoke on boost/Running rich/some pics