Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Wait, our conference PLAYED this weekend? Coulda fooled me!
Like Michelle, I'm a Florida State fan. We won our game...because we didn't play, but it came down to a last minute field goal that the other team missed.
It's going to be a VERY long year! "cringe".

So, refresh my memory.
What are the differences in the physical dynamics of the various materials.
Which is most flexible? Which is most brittle? What are they various comparisons between the possible materials?

I think that would help a lot of folks to understand, and make a good decision on what to order, and will also help you get a bearing on what MOST people want. I would think that you'll want to go down that road, in terms of production.

As far as interest, you may need to look into becoming a Rennlist, small business sponsor.

If you can produce a good product, it will make Field of Dreams look like the number of folks that would fit in a phone booth.
Build it! They will freaking over run you!

Sorry, morning business meetings...now to answer what I can:
The differences in performance characteristics between the 3 are fairly identical with the exception of the flexibility granted to items #1 & #3 respectively, that #2 does not posess in full. #2 is limited in flex due to the internal aluminum "skeleton" for which the rubber coat is bonded to.
SPEED: all items are technically sound for speeds available by these autos, however please keep in mind it is the attachement points that develop the stress NOT the attachment itself. Therefore a poor or "loose" installation will have a negative effect on the performance characteristics of ANY splitter.
MATERIALS:
1. R.I. polyprop- cheapest alternative, good impact strength, flexible, great heat resistance, not the best (without additives) for max UV resistance, can be batch colored, and attachment points are more give friendly (e.g. do not fatigue, wear out/round out under load). Great high temp +320f, low temp estimated at -20f before substantial compromise.
2. T.G. encap AL- #2 on the cheap scale...stiffest of the 3 with the incorporation of an aluminum frame fully encapsulated in (colored) thin rubber exterior coating. Not readily paintable and would require "breakaway" hardware or mounting plates (for reinforcement) to reduce collateral damage. Easily repaired and maintianed, good high/low (best) temp properties (-45f to 265f).
3. ABS- the most expensive option, but also the most impact resistant (for this application). Greater cold weather stability (than #1 @ -40c), great flex, average heat resistance (160f...please note this is roughly what most body parts are also rated at), available in black only (can be painted w/ modifiers) and overall probably the "smoothest" appearance.

Understand that it is a little more complex than this but you get the idea. I will only be making ONE option...the one that best suits the general consensus in regards to desired specifics.
It also seems as if some would prefer just a "lip" attachment on the front in lieu of a full fledged splitter, for increased clearance, easy detachment,etc,etc...I will look into that as I had not even considered it before.

Hope this cleared up some questions....probably not

EDIT: #1/#3 can be produced significantly thinner than the current available splitters without compromising strength

Last edited by CPR; 09-02-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added item
Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
I was just throwing out ideas, the OP was initially talking about an AIR style airdam. After pondering the possibilities I think what what would be ideal would be the equivalent of a batwing with a lip molded on the front of it. Easy to mount, reasonable clearance and decent looks.
+1.

I think Porsche put the batwing there for a reason (or two):
1. For added support/rigidity for the front fascia (bumper cover).
2. For undercarriage aerodynamics.

Any aftermarket splitter should maintain those characteristics, either by fitment between the fascia and stock batwing, or by replacing the stock batwing while providing the splitter "lip".

I would think that using the stock batwing to add the support/structure (it is a relatively stiff plastic) might be advantageous vs. a one piece (more flexible) splitter/batwing. If the new splitter were designed to fit between the fascia and stock batwing (using the same mounting points, and fitting the contours of each of those pieces where they join), then the stock engineering would be maintained while adding the splitter lip for improved handling aerodynamics and appearance. Only new, slightly longer hardware would be needed (possibly, depending on the material thickness where it fits between the fascia and batwing).

And I think that appearance is the main objective for this type of project. (Anyone with a dedicated track car will likely have a very functional larger splitter without regard to appearance.)

How do these new materials compare (flexibility/durability) to urethane, which was the previous "be-all" material?

I'd likely be in for one, depending on style, material, and fit.

My $.02.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
CPR
Race Director

Chris,
Good point...urethanes ARE a good product, just not what we do, although some of my guys will tell me it's junk when compared to some of the newer materials* available. I would assume, like most things, when similiar items perform within tolerances of their specific purpose(s) it becomes a matter of personal preference or famaliarity (e.g. ford over chevy, pepsi vs coke, bud vs miller, etc. etc.).

EDIT: I should not say newer materials, but newer applications/methods of manipulation.

Last edited by CPR; 09-02-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: incorrect reference
Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

How do #1 &#3 handle being painted? Are they any different than current flexible bumpers, etc?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:21 PM
CPR
Race Director

Both can be painted #3 more easily than #1. ABS-reinforced is basically H.I.P. with additves for a slightly more "rubbery feel". If we make #1 with enough flexibility to withstand hits I am afraid paint (especially in cold, cold weather states) would experience some bonding issues, therefore the implementation of batch coloring would prevail....it is not impossible though.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
cotton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy one. My vote is for #3.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
Yikes!

I was shopping for houses a few months back, and decided not to buy a particular house solely because of a similar driveway.
yeah not only does it rub bumpers but also the under carriage on my extended model 7 series and my A6.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Wallace
Racer

I'm definately in for one.

My number one priority - Durability

Been putting off buying an AIR splitter because of all the stories of them shattering.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Want one. Needs to be easey to load on the trailer. Minimal deflection at speed.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wallace
I'm definately in for one.

My number one priority - Durability

Been putting off buying an AIR splitter because of all the stories of them shattering.

That is pretty much what started this whole idea. The fact that we have alot of Porsche owners sooo dissatisfied with a product AND that nothing has been done about it is nuts.

Great rims by the way...absolutely brilliant.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#3.....put me on the list and tell me when to send a check.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Splitter

I will definitely take one!!!

Bill
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
CPR
Race Director

To All,
Thanks for the feedback. I have just finished having a meeting about this as well as sharing your input with my res engineer. Although, for the record, he thinks this is an utter waste of his and company time when he has more importat projects to attend to...no real point here, just found it somewhat amusing... I think he feels that developemental projects for Uncle Sam are more important than splitters for us...go figure

Anyway, it is his professional opinion that the #3 option best suits what eveyone has described. We will move forward with this beginning next week. As stated in the OP, it will take several weeks (est 3-5 or 4-6) to have this fully executed, as we have to fit this in with our "real" projects. I will update as necessary, pics with first unit. Please be patient and thanks for your input and interest.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Patrick...your efforts on both recent contributions to all of us is amazing and greatly appreciated. Many thanks!!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Patrick...your efforts on both recent contributions to all of us is amazing and greatly appreciated. Many thanks!!
Thanks...I cannot lend much expertise in the drivetrain side, so I figured I had better find a way to contibute, before you guys send me to the Ford Forum

By the way, should be next Tues/Wed when I get the wings

Quick Reply: Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!