Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!

After reading alot of comments regarding the current splitters (too expensive, breaks too easily, collateral damage (to mounting holes bumper etc.) when accidentally striking road debris), I began to have one of my companies "play around" with some new materials in an attempt to defeat some of the immediate concerns involving this piece of equipment.
We went in 3 different directions:

1. rubber particulate infused polypropylene
2. thin gauge encapsulated (vulcanised rubber encapsulation) aluminum
3. Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS-reinforced)

The shape and design are similiar to a very popular one. However the benefits are different amongst the three types as the manufatcuring process and material selection allow for variables that become advantageous to each one. These range in accessibilty for mounting, shear pins in lieu of standardized hardware (for breakaway of unit instead of detroying your front end), can be batched colored (or even CLEAR), flexible upon impact, paintable, adjustable and relatively cost efficient to produce (around $115-$160) per unit estimated (depending on material selection/production per batch). ALL UNITS WOULD BE SOLD AT COST.

What I need to know is:
1. Is there an interest for this product?
2. What features (listed or not) would you desire?

Your input (if there is an interest) would allow me to select the appropriate prototype (matched to the requested performance input) and produce a finished version in roughly 3-4 weeks. Please note this is a non-profit endeavor with all R/D,testing and manufacturing costs being borne exclusively by me. I am undertaking this solely out of partial boredom and trying to solve what seems to be a problem with current available materials.
If this is against Rennslist policy I apologize and respect your interpretation of the rules and regulations for posting. However I interpret this as helping, especially as an NP endeavor.

Last edited by CPR; 10-12-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't want to sound jaded or discouraging but this has been brought up so many times in the past I've lost count. We have yet to even see a urethane splitter. Yours sounds great, the price sounds great, but the proofs in the pudding when the product is ready to ship. If you can provide a paintable splitter for that price that doesn't shatter on a squirrels head I am in with no hesitation and I'm sure I'm not alone. Put me down for a beta if you need to or just add me to the list. Personally I would like to see something that still incorporates the batwing or replaces it completely with reinforced mounting holes.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I don't want to sound jaded or discouraging but this has been brought up so many times in the past I've lost count. We have yet to even see a urethane splitter. Yours sounds great, the price sounds great, but the proofs in the pudding when the product is ready to ship. If you can provide a paintable splitter for that price that doesn't shatter on a squirrels head I am in with no hesitation and I'm sure I'm not alone. Put me down for a beta if you need to or just add me to the list. Personally I would like to see something that still incorporates the batwing or replaces it completely with reinforced mounting holes.

Noted...however as I am unfamaliar with "how many times" this topic has arisen you must have been dealing or "threading" with a bunch of smoke blowers. That said...none of the models shatter...period. #1 and #3 obviously have a greater flex point, which explains the use of shear pins type hardware for #2. At this point we had not thought of using these as an "overlay" for the batwing. And as for the pudding...a little more input, then it is time to start baking Thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Do it and we will beat a path to your door. Start baking!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be interested in one. Features I'd look for are flexibility, paintable and straight forward mounting.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Do it and we will beat a path to your door. Start baking!
Since I have already invested over 140 payroll hours on 2 of my employees for this little side project, I might as well finish it ...and FYI... I PM'd ehall about 3 weeks ago as to my intetions and to get some input, and he pretty much echoed your sentiments, that is why I waited until we had something going on to even bring it out publicly. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow! At that price I'd SERIOUSLY consider it. I've been wanting an A.I.R. splitter for a while now...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Wow! At that price I'd SERIOUSLY consider it. I've been wanting an A.I.R. splitter for a while now...
That seemed to be one of the big issues...price and impact resistance. As stated these are cost. Plastics are not the expensive part, it's the R/D, mock-ups, forms, molds, set-up fees etc....
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't shattered my AIR yet, but I know I'm good for it. Echoing Kuhl: start baking!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:12 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
I haven't shattered my AIR yet, but I know I'm good for it. Echoing Kuhl: start baking!
Well at least you did not bring up Uva's performace this weekend
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
zainman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in, do you need another car to do mock ups? I'm in the Fort Lee area.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I woud be interested in a few. I really like the AIR style, I think it really sets the car off. My problem, as alot of others, with the car lowerd it would chip, and mad it difficult to drive into any parking lot that did not have a very gradual incline. I would like one made from something more durable( chip or fracture resistant) then fiberglass, soild black all the way through, possibly with a beveled edge so when it does bottom out it is not chipping the edge. and possibly not as tall to give more ground clearence.

Dude get these going, can't wait to get these and the wing on.

Steve
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by zainman
I'm in, do you need another car to do mock ups? I'm in the Fort Lee area.

No, the mock up stage is over. I have a template/mold for #1/#3 already...just trying to see if there was a principle dynamic that people were interested in other than the obvious defect corrections of earlier models/materials. AND to ensure there is actually an interest if I make it. No need for 50 of these to be laying around the office.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
spencang
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm definitely interested. Solid black. Similar characteristcs to DrZ1's. However, I have to wait 'til the end of the month, expenses are tight this month. PM me when it is ready.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 PM
VelocityQuest
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest Level:high

Let me know where to send the check.

Quick Reply: Interest in a New Splitter?: UPDATED!