Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing Hood Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Hood Insulation

Ok, I'll bite. I think I made a huge mistake in undertaking this project. I have scraped away my hood liner and am left with just the sticky stuff on the hood. I have been using laquer thinner and a sharpened tounge depressor...but that's not doing the trick. There has to be something easier.

Not to mention, where the paint is weak...the laquer thinner has removed it!

Anyone have any tips to share on this? Any special chemical to use? "Oops!" doesn't work. Works well on the rock guards (just deleted those), but not the hood insulation.

TIA!

(Yes I searched.)
Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

Never used it on the hood liner glue, but I use goo gone for just about anything sticky. Shouldnt hurt the paint. Test a small spot somewhere that cant be seen first.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM
dagame27
Instructor

I am curious about this as well. I also scraped much of it off, but am left with spots. I would like to be able to remove it and replace the liner with the ones at 928leathershop.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 928 leathershop one, and I just scraped the excess liner and chunks off, then sprayed with the 3M adhesive, and stuck the new one on. It lays perfectly flat, even with some of the old stuff still there.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Ok, I'll bite. I think I made a huge mistake in undertaking this project. I have scraped away my hood liner and am left with just the sticky stuff on the hood. I have been using laquer thinner and a sharpened tounge depressor...but that's not doing the trick. There has to be something easier.
I posted extensively on this last winter. It's certainly no fun, but elbow grease will get it all off!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I posted extensively on this last winter. It's certainly no fun, but elbow grease will get it all off!
+1 on the scrape and apply. Don't worry about getting all the fine residue off. I actually used a 3" walpaper scraper -carefully --and all the big stuff came off in just a few minutes. If you leave the "velvet" surface alone, spray on the 3M and apply; it sticks well and lays flat. Much faster and less PIa than removing all the old glue. I did clean the "hole" area over the master cyl. cap to be sure it looked great post install. 3M adhesive remover did the trick.

I can't imagine how long it would take to remove all that glue!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
eniac
Drifting

Well....I removed all mine with ease however I do not suggest trying this without the proper protection, ventilation mask, thick rubber gloves, and someway to colelct the run-off for proper disposal. I of course did none of this pansy sissy-boy stuff.

If your from the EPA, save yourself a heart attack and stop reading now.

It was a spur of the moment late night decision to remove my hood and scrape the all the old hood lining glue off to cut and install some new liner from rolls I had. I looked around for what I had in the garage and saw a few gallons of Xylene l know longer needed after going to E85. I would normally use adhesive remover but I couldn't find any in the garage. Well it turns out the Xylene worked better than any adhesive remover I have ever used. It bubbled up all the old glue and it didn't damage the factory paint at all. With little effort, I scraped the heavy stuff off then rinsed any left over glue off with a hose. If gave me a perfectly clean finish to apply the new lining I had.

I wouldn't buy Xylene for this purpose however if you have some sitting around, you may want to try it. Xylene is expensive however it only took a little less then a quart for the entire hood.

For the EPA folks didn't heed my warning and are still reading, this was all done in a simulated virtual enviroment so real life results may vary.

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy

I can't imagine how long it would take to remove all that glue!!!
45 minutes including removing the hood, most of which was spent waiting for glue to dissolve. Wasn't a trace of glue left anywhere.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Seems like the petroleum distillate,acetone, toluene based solvents(some of what is in lacquer thinner) arent dissolving the goo. Try goof off, its xylene, and ethanol mostly. Goo gone, is mostly petroleum ether(also petroleum distillate), more concentrated than lacquer thinner tho, the thinner is a mix of lots of things. Just test on an inconspicuous spot first with anything tho. If the acetone in the thinner isnt stripping the paint, goof off or goo gone shouldnt either. Never used them on my car, but goof off is advertised for removing tars and what not from auto paint.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Hahaha, eniac posted as I was typing.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi...of+off&x=0&y=0

Benzene would probably work good too.....carcinogens are a bummer tho. LOL Cant buy it at walgreens either.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
Well....I removed all mine with ease however I do not suggest trying this without the proper protection, ventilation mask, thick rubber gloves, and someway to colelct the run-off for proper disposal. I of course did none of this pansy sissy-boy stuff.

If your from the EPA, save yourself a heart attack and stop reading now.

It was a spur of the moment late night decision to remove my hood and scrape the all the old hood lining glue off to cut and install some new liner from rolls I had. I looked around for what I had in the garage and saw a few gallons of Xylene l know longer needed after going to E85. I would normally use adhesive remover but I couldn't find any in the garage. Well it turns out the Xylene worked better than any adhesive remover I have ever used. It bubbled up all the old glue and it didn't damage the factory paint at all. With little effort, I scraped the heavy stuff off then rinsed any left over glue off with a hose. If gave me a perfectly clean finish to apply the new lining I had.

I wouldn't buy Xylene for this purpose however if you have some sitting around, you may want to try it. Xylene is expensive however it only took a little less then a quart for the entire hood.

For the EPA folks didn't heed my warning and are still reading, this was all done in a simulated virtual enviroment so real life results may vary.

45 minutes including removing the hood, most of which was spent waiting for glue to dissolve. Wasn't a trace of glue left anywhere.
Nice! Removed the hood too...dang, that shows some serious dedication to detail.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Well, my plan was to remove the hood as well, but I didnt want to wait. I'm not replacing the liners, so I will have to take ALL of the glue off. I will be waxing the underside of the hood.

I'm about to just use gasoline. I've already used 3/4 quart of laquer thinner and 2 hours (passenger side is halfway done). I have a feeling this is about 6-7 hour project for me. Bummer.

I didnt know that so many people replaced them. Is it necessary on our cars to have them? My S2 didnt.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
dagame27
Instructor

No, it's not necesary. Mine had degraded to the point that I just removed what I could. It won't hurt anything. I'm only putting the 928leathershop ones in because I like the way they look. I suppose I'm just adding to my 944 bill ($7000+ this year for maintenance and mods). Although, at 150k miles, I haven't put anything in it other than basic maintenance for the past 3 years!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With high underhood temps, there CAN be an issue with paint/clearcoat over long periods of time (years) without a liner. But other than that, no real issues.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
I didnt know that so many people replaced them. Is it necessary on our cars to have them? My S2 didnt.
On cars fitted with the hood liner from factory, the hood paint has held up better over time than those without.

Numerous testimonials on Rennlist indicate that if the hood has been repainted, the finish will eggshell from the engine heat. Apparently this can be prevented by using the hood liner.

Re the glue removal, I got it all off by vacuuming the foam off first at a car cleaning facility and then using a mild glue solvent (e.g. 3M) with lots of patience. Cover the engine bay with a large sheet of plastic or similar first, or you will get globs of the glue all over the place!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Did you receive the front bumper?

Quick Reply: Removing Hood Insulation