Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing Hood Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 PM
eshane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Luis. I followed his instructions and came out well. Yes it's a mess. MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE ENGINE. The old foam goes everywhere. I put mineral spirits in a hand pump spray bottle and went to town. Take a paint stir-stick and using a file, put an edge on it like a putty knife, The wood won't mar the paint. Scrape the mineral spirits soaked adhesive off.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Xylene! Gasoline is a petroleum distillate. Might work since its more concentrate than thinner. Goof off is xylene, and ethanol(polar). Petroleum ether(nonpolar), dont seem to be working, and its been stated xylene works great, and the glue is highly soluble in it. Goof off is a few bucks at home depot. Probably not much more than a gallon of gas these days.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh also as Luis stated, I also used a vacuum to get the majority of the old foam off.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished this job this week. Last Spring, some little critters found the old insulation to be a great material for building nests - first, under the intake manifold, and then somewhere outside the car after I kept cleaning the "engine nest" out. Patches of insulation kept disappearing until I finally put some poisoned bait packets in the engine compartment.

With the old insulation looking kind of mangy, and wanting to protect the exterior paint from the high heat generated driving on the track, I decided to replace the stuff with the Weltmeister reflective hood pads from Paragon: http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...elt_912100.htm Plus, with the metallic facing on the pads, I'm hoping no future generations of critters will be tempted to bite into the stuff for nest-building material.

I put a plastic tarp over the engine, pulled as much insulation off by hand as possible, and went after the rest with a scraper and Goof Off. Took about two hours overall to finish the job, but I didn't bother getting every last bit of sticky residue off since I was just going to recover the area again. The Weltmeister pads had a peel off backing with sticky stuff underneath, and Paragon advised that no other glue should be needed.

Installation of the new pads was very easy. Hopefully the self-adhesive will hold up over time with track use; it will get it's first test at VIR next week.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:44 PM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just want to give a big thanks to the community here. After trying many, many things (heat gun, eraser wheel, steam) the one thing that ended up working for me was xylene as mentioned previously in this post.

I got a quart of xylene, a dropcloth, and a spray bottle at Menards (about $10 total). I put the xylene in the spray bottle and squirted it on. Let it sit for a bit and used a plastic putty knife to scrape all of the globs of glue off. Not the easiest job to be scraping the underside of the hood, but it worked. I ended up going back and spraying/scraping it several times to get to the result shown in the picture. Probably used about 1/3 of the quart of xylene for the entire hood.

I feel like a little bit of the paint did end up showing up on my rag as I was cleaning it all up afterwards but not too bad. Certainly nothing down to the metal. And I am just going to be putting some more insulation on again anyway so you won't even be able to see the paint.

Last edited by notny41; 03-31-2022 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Scotty S (08-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 10:42 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm curious what year cars came with hood insulation since neither my 1990 S2 or my 1989 951 have it, so why add it back once you scrape it off?
Old 04-11-2022, 03:29 PM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard that it keeps paint lasting longer on the hood for Turbos.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:46 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by notny41
I have heard that it keeps paint lasting longer on the hood for Turbos.
That may be true, but that also means it keeps MORE heat in the engine compartment.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:38 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I have an 88 turbo S, no insulation from the factory. Paint is perfect, shiny, no fading. Although I live in the pacific NW and it’s cool for most of the year.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:38 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I scraped my ratty insulation off years ago. Kind of like pulling the band aid off quick instead of having it slowly fall into the engine bay. If I'm going to have paint issues, then it will be from the Texas sun.

Quick Reply: Removing Hood Insulation