Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86' Turbo - boost gauge does not point to 1 bar when key is turned

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 04:01 PM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 86' Turbo - boost gauge does not point to 1 bar when key is turned

Hi all, wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to start on this.

I'll be driving and the gauge just seems dead. I feel like boost is happening and then every once in a while the gauge will show boost and work for a while. Seems intermittent. I had the gauge cluster out and the resistors didn't look cooked at all. Even after putting gauge cluster back in car, it will not initialize to 1 bar when the key is turned.

Thanks - Paul
Old 04-11-2022, 07:35 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by notny41
Hi all, wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to start on this.

I'll be driving and the gauge just seems dead. I feel like boost is happening and then every once in a while the gauge will show boost and work for a while. Seems intermittent. I had the gauge cluster out and the resistors didn't look cooked at all. Even after putting gauge cluster back in car, it will not initialize to 1 bar when the key is turned.

Thanks - Paul
One person who can certainly help you is Tom over at ********.com

He has extensive experience with that very gauge

EDIT: seems the website forum group I am referring to is censored.. so.. I will spell it out differently: carp*kes dot com Rhymes with "car-smokes"

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 04-11-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:04 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I used these guys when the factory boost gauge died in my instrument cluster.
They went through the entire unit, recapped the plastic board, replaced light bulbs, cleaned & inspected the cluster.
Less than a week and it was done.
Highly recommended.

http://www.nsifleet.com/home.html

Last edited by mwc951; 04-11-2022 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SeaCay (04-13-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 12:28 PM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Update: So after I got my gauge cluster back in and turned the key - the boost gauge did't go to 1 - which is basically what it's been doing when it was working intermittently.

I took the car for a spin to see if it would start working after a while and as soon as I started moving I noticed that the speedo, fuel, and tach gauges were all non-functional as well as the turn signals and other dash lights so I suspected that I probably didn't get one or more of the connectors on properly. So last night I pulled it all apart again and found that the middle connector was not on tightly. Made sure all of the little black levers were all pushed to the middle fully and before putting the steering wheel back on I tried the key and low-and-behold the boost gauge made its way almost to 1 and all of the dash lights lit up as well. I still have yet to take it for a test drive since doing that, but it sure seems like my boost gauge may be feeling better now.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:02 AM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by notny41
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Update: So after I got my gauge cluster back in and turned the key - the boost gauge did't go to 1 - which is basically what it's been doing when it was working intermittently.

I took the car for a spin to see if it would start working after a while and as soon as I started moving I noticed that the speedo, fuel, and tach gauges were all non-functional as well as the turn signals and other dash lights so I suspected that I probably didn't get one or more of the connectors on properly. So last night I pulled it all apart again and found that the middle connector was not on tightly. Made sure all of the little black levers were all pushed to the middle fully and before putting the steering wheel back on I tried the key and low-and-behold the boost gauge made its way almost to 1 and all of the dash lights lit up as well. I still have yet to take it for a test drive since doing that, but it sure seems like my boost gauge may be feeling better now.

Glad to hear 👍. The connectors in the back can be a bit finicky. I had the temp. needle stop working once after removing the instrument cluster. Reconnecting it again solved the issue shrug 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: 86' Turbo - boost gauge does not point to 1 bar when key is turned