Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno Results -- 449.82HP/473.2T

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:21 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick_968
How much timing are you guys running on your 3.0 engines from 3500 - 7000rpm? Mine is not optimised due to the fact that previously my car was knock limited by the poor cooling and intercooling. Now this is fixed and temps are under control I am ready to re visit the timing advance map and wondered what amount of advance other 3.0 owners are running through the full boost rev range and at what psi.
After some tuning next weekend. I'll datalog everything and share. I'm using the TEC GT, but I'm sure John knows this via memory.

George
Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tconn
Looks good.
Is the 928 t-body a direct bolt on?
Nope....it is HUGE !!!

Glad Tom posted a pic of his installed as I just bought a TB like that from 95ONE.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Wow, quite a surprise to find! Not that it makes it ok, but I discovered reinz supplies 951 style gaskets when you order the 89 2 7 gasket. They even put them in the 89-only head gasket set. You have to go to Porsche or find a different mfg to get the correct oval versions. I'm surprised no one noticed when the intake was installed. I assume the intake itself is ported to match the 2.7 head and not still round like the 951?
Originally Posted by George D
Nice run Tom,

We recently removed the intake and found that we had the stock 951 gaskets installed without any modification. These factory gaskets are about 25% smaller than my port matched intake to 2.7 large valve head.

We purchased new gaskets and cut them to match the head and intake. The car now idles much better, turbo spools faster, and the top end is much better. It's just running pig rich now. I know more air should have leaned things, but just the opposite was the result.

We are going to the mountains next weekend for a 500 mile road trip. My TEC GT tuner and friend is coming with me to do some additional tuning. The car should do much better at the dyno now that we got rid of this restriction. Sure glad I pulled the intake when we installed the cometic valve cover gasket. I was surprised to see this, but we fixed the issue.

The dyno shop we have used here in Tucson just sold their dyno. We are looking for another shop locally.

Glad to see your car running well. You have got to agree that these 3.0 motors make these cars nuts fast. I had a ex Formula 3 driver take my car for a spin. He's still talking about it. He is following us up to www.antlerridge.com next weekend in his modded Elise. We'll do some seat time in each.

Congrats!

George
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Wow, quite a surprise to find! Not that it makes it ok, but I discovered reinz supplies 951 style gaskets when you order the 89 2 7 gasket. They even put them in the 89-only head gasket set. You have to go to Porsche or find a different mfg to get the correct oval versions. I'm surprised no one noticed when the intake was installed. I assume the intake itself is ported to match the 2.7 head and not still round like the 951?
Originally Posted by George D
Nice run Tom,

We recently removed the intake and found that we had the stock 951 gaskets installed without any modification. These factory gaskets are about 25% smaller than my port matched intake to 2.7 large valve head.

We purchased new gaskets and cut them to match the head and intake. The car now idles much better, turbo spools faster, and the top end is much better. It's just running pig rich now. I know more air should have leaned things, but just the opposite was the result.

We are going to the mountains next weekend for a 500 mile road trip. My TEC GT tuner and friend is coming with me to do some additional tuning. The car should do much better at the dyno now that we got rid of this restriction. Sure glad I pulled the intake when we installed the cometic valve cover gasket. I was surprised to see this, but we fixed the issue.

The dyno shop we have used here in Tucson just sold their dyno. We are looking for another shop locally.

Glad to see your car running well. You have got to agree that these 3.0 motors make these cars nuts fast. I had a ex Formula 3 driver take my car for a spin. He's still talking about it. He is following us up to www.antlerridge.com next weekend in his modded Elise. We'll do some seat time in each.

Congrats!

George
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Does seem strange...

Tom looks great. Be interested to see new dyno figures with all the new goodies. Especially the actual curves compared to when you first had it done.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom, do you have any other picture angles of the mounted TB and intake ?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:30 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!
The information and specification in this thread is so old hat that I have to chuckle.

Some of us that took chance on the prototype of these things risking funds are laughing right now.

And when I say "us", I mean me.

Be carefull if you challenge that, gents.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

...er OK your Toolness, but which particular parts are you referring too? ?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by special tool
Wow!
The information and specification in this thread is so old hat that I have to chuckle.

Some of us that took chance on the prototype of these things risking funds are laughing right now.

And when I say "us", I mean me.

Be carefull if you challenge that, gents.
Is this a post to help us old hat folks that are using the 928 TB? ST, we all risk funds on projects. Laughing at us without sharing personal knowledge pertaining to 3.0 motors and associated parts isn't helpful to me or others sharing on this platform.

I'm seeking knowledge on this board, and sharing what I personally know based on my experience. I'm a 951 fan, and appreciate all help towards my intent of creating a great car based on an old platform that doesn't get much support. If you know of parts we are using that create comedy, I'd like to know why?

Sharing on this board, good or bad, is why I'm a member. I just want to help others that might want my experience with these cars. I'm just one that has owned many 951's. I've owned these cars, and 13 other sports cars over the past 15 years to feel comfortable sharing my personal experience.

Being helpful is great, laughing at my attempts to create a great 951 seems contrary to your post. You have better ideas, share them. Your knowledge in building power and lasting 951 4 bangers is useful, as long as your intent is to help.

I may have taken your post in the wrong way. Post something helpful based on your experience.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards,

George
Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The 2.7 head and my intake is oval to match. The stock gaskets are round. We cut the new intake gaskets to match the intake and head oval. My car hit over 500whp with the stock round 951 gaskets. We tuned the car using the round factory gaskets, not knowing that we had this restriction in every port.

Now that we replaced the gaskets, the car runs much better, but VERY rich. We will tune based on the new found flow of air. Removing such a restriction should create better power.

Since we replaced the gaskets the car spools faster, and feels much better on top. We'll see how much power was lost at the next dyno session.

George
Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your engine bay looks great, Tom. May I suggest some T-bolt clamps instead of the double hose clamps?

And Special Tool, holy ego trip man. Get off your high horse. What's the deal? Why the hate?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

ST can be a little hard to understand when he forgets to take his meds
Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DDP
Your engine bay looks great, Tom. May I suggest some T-bolt clamps instead of the double hose clamps?
I have the spring loaded versions, but they are a pain to get installed given their bulkiness, so I tend to leave them off until I'm sure I won't be removing the pipes for a while. Agreed they are worlds better than the stock clamps. The stock clamps leak around the bolt area unless the hose fits skin tight on the pipes.... (or you use two clamps with the bolts areas spaced apart).
Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Tom, do you have any other picture angles of the mounted TB and intake ?
I can take more and send them to you. PM your email (I probably have it somewhere, but...)

The TB has a different bolt pattern from the 951, so will not bolt to the 951 manifold without an adapter or changes to the intake. Also, at 75mm, the throttle blade is larger than the TB opening on the 951 manifold. You could probably open up the manifold to get closer, but not sure you could get it to 75mm by just grinding. That's primarily why I went with the SFR intake.

As for the TB configuration, I opted to develop my own approach, in lieu of using Tim's set-up like on George's car. I wanted to keep all the linkage and spings from the stock TB in place to the extend possible. So, I worked up a cam wheel that could be welded on to the stock TB linkage without interfering with anything (from a non-Porsche TB; iPhone pic below). The 951 throttle cable attaches just like stock, with the TB performing as originally designed. I had to cut the aux water pump bracket and make room in the brake shield to clear it all -- and plan to weld up the brake shield and recoat it eventually.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I don't think alot of people know about this mod, let alone that you have to adapt the Throttle cable wheel to work with the 951 throttle cable. David Got one from me already adapted.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results -- 449.82HP/473.2T