Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Stage3, V-flex, wasted spark - goes open road racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:46 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that would be the ps- looks to be some vitesse wires or something... nice clean install.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I spent the extra time to ensure as clean an install as I could. There are still a couple minor items I will rework, but for the most part it will remain as pictured.

Forgot to mention - without LSD I think it would be easy to get into trouble track running this setup near the limit. Before the LSD I had some issue with the previous modest setup (26/6,chips and supporting mods listed in original post) breaking loose the unloaded wheel out of the corners, and occasionally under hard acceleration. Can't image with this setup.

2.5L stock longblock (other supporting engine mods listed in orig post)
keen eye Pharis - that wire bundle was temporary, and is gone now. I was re-routing the wide-band wiring harness and just happened to take this pic before I finished.

Dyno will happen, but for E85 tuning.

AS FOR THE IN CAR VIDEO
I think my problem is a bad dv cable, sorry for delay. I will try to grab a cable later today and capture some video to share.

Last edited by 2bridges; 08-23-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Nice, it looks great! Mine is still a complete rats nest.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks fantastic man, gorgeous car.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:46 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Thanks guys

Sam - your car makes me want to buy a Euro nose NOW! LOVE IT! screw the park lights. when it is paint time I am doing it! And euro rear cover without rubber strip and filled holes too.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice install. I had sevaral of the Vitesse mods you have, and all I can say is that John's stuff is incredible. The WS spark makes a 'huge' difference on a car, very huge!! Keep us posted and someday get that thing on the dyno.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

what advantages would one gain by adding wasted spark to the car. I have basically the same setup you do but, a stage 2 turbo.

I'm just curious. Glad to hear such great things about the S3 V-fex. Can't wait for some video.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
what advantages would one gain by adding wasted spark to the car. I have basically the same setup you do but, a stage 2 turbo.

I'm just curious. Glad to hear such great things about the S3 V-fex. Can't wait for some video.
WASTED SPARK IGNITION is an arrangement where spark plugs fire twice per cycle. One spark fires on the compression stroke, the second spark being 'wasted' because it occurs while exhaust is being scavenged. Wasted Spark Ignition has the advantage of simplified triggering arrangements used with double ended coils firing two cylinders simultaneously.

When running higher amounts of boost, it becomes more difficult to ignite the charge. High boost with lots of fuel needs more energy to ignite.

You can either gap your plugs smaller and smaller, which will allow the spark to occur, however it will be smaller and less effective compared to a larger gap when you have one coil trying to do multiple pistons at higher RPM, it can only do so much.

The Vitesse Wasted Spark system uses a high energy coil-pack that eliminates the cap and rotor delivering more energy and a better spark.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:46 AM
special tool
Banned

John - I will tell you about this on Saturday at LRP.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The Wasted Spark allows you to eliminate the mechanical elements of the stock ignition system (rotor & cap), reduces the jumps between the coil and the plug.
Allows you to run a hotter spark, a must for higher boost levels.

Also, since you have the Vitesse PiggyBack, if you want, you will be able to alter ignition. This should be left to experienced users.

The bad part is that we have none in stock, sold out for a while till we meet the existing orders. Interesting many serious racers are going with this system, some with 944NA as they are seeing the results.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Very nice car, but put a splitter on the front bend efore you do anymore speed runs!!! OMG, the front end is going to get "light" on you buddy. Just a heads up. An AIR like mine or any other style will do. Get it on there pronto!!! It will look great too. Can't wait to hear your top speed someday. Best.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fast951
The Wasted Spark allows you to eliminate the mechanical elements of the stock ignition system (rotor & cap), reduces the jumps between the coil and the plug.
Allows you to run a hotter spark, a must for higher boost levels.

Also, since you have the Vitesse PiggyBack, if you want, you will be able to alter ignition. This should be left to experienced users.

The bad part is that we have none in stock, sold out for a while till we meet the existing orders. Interesting many serious racers are going with this system, some with 944NA as they are seeing the results.
thanks john.

Sounds like a worth while upgrade in the future. Any dyno numbers run at same boost levels/setup before and after wasted spark.

I'm curious what sort of power one might pick if you were running higher boost levels i.e 20psi or so. I realize the gains at smaller boost pressures might not be as great.

Also curious if it has any effect on the driveability of the car. Making it better/smoother ect
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

JOHN YOU ARE GOING TO LIME ROCK THIS SAT?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by reno808
JOHN YOU ARE GOING TO LIME ROCK THIS SAT?
I would love too but, I just don't know how im going to swing it. I have alot going on and I also have very little funds(the car is getting them all).

jim has my number.

i'll pm you my number as well. We all need to get together soon. My schedule is just hetic right now with the kids starting school here soon and us tying up loose ends.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
Very nice car, but put a splitter on the front bend efore you do anymore speed runs!!! OMG, the front end is going to get "light" on you buddy. Just a heads up. An AIR like mine or any other style will do. Get it on there pronto!!! It will look great too. Can't wait to hear your top speed someday. Best.
Only Little girls need stability above 150!!! HAHAHAHA
The car floats around a good bit above 140 but I have a big pair!

I have run as fast as 157 as is with no splitter, and that was on the unstable salt surface of Bonneville!

Quick Reply: Vitesse Stage3, V-flex, wasted spark - goes open road racing