Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front wheel spacer factory equipped?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008 | 06:44 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel spacer factory equipped?

Quick question, I've got a 1986 model, and while replacing the fuel lines in the front wheelwell, I noticed the the front hubs have spacers on them. I'm pretty sure the rears don't, but not positive. I've got the stock phonedials. Is this factory done? I see no reason for a wheel spacer , unless some other wheels had been mounted. Surely Porsche did not use spacers with the stock wheels, or did they?
Old 08-22-2008 | 08:56 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

There is no spacer on the 1986 front hub with PDs. Do you have a picture? The front hub is much larger than the rear though, IIRC and I thought the same thing initially.
Old 08-22-2008 | 09:00 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

None of my 86's have wheel spacers, I would think that the po fitted those phonedials and they were from an 87+ late offset car. 86 cars where early offset, so you can fit later wheels but those spacers are required.
Old 08-22-2008 | 09:15 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, guys, guys. Look closely and I think you may see that which Hum speaks about. I think the front track on early offset control arm 944's (both steel and aluminum) may be wider than the 924 on which the front end geometry is based. The OE front hubs on my 85.5 NA (now a racer) appear to be extended an inch or so from the machined hat with a permanent bolt on fixture that serves to widen the front track.

While technically not a spacer, I'm pretty sure it does the same thing.

Last edited by TheRealLefty; 08-22-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2008 | 10:02 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
Guys, guys, guys. Look closely and I think you make see that which Hum speaks about. I think the front track on early offset control arm 944's (both steel and aluminum) may be wider than the 924 on which the front end geometry is based. The OE front hubs in my 85.5 NA (now a racer) appear to be extended an inch or so from the machined hat with a permanent bolt on fixture that serves to widen the front track.

While technically not a spacer, I'm pretty sure it does the same thing.
Ah! TheRealLefty speaks the truth and provides enlightenment.
Old 08-22-2008 | 11:02 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

To space? Or, not to space? If you wanna go with fatter rubber up front on an '86 you CAN space if you wish. I'm only running 235/40/17 on mine right now and I could go two inched fatter if I added a spacer to push the wheel out to the fender. Without the spacer, wider tires would rub on the inner well for sure, as mine already rub just a tad at full lock. A buddy told me a 5/16 spacer would do the trick but I have not confirmed that size.

Stay tuned; I put the last run on my trusty Yoki's at RA last weekend so new rubber is on the way and I am now researching variables. PM me and I'll let ya know...
Old 08-22-2008 | 11:09 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

I think the thereallefty got it- I wondered later if they were widening the track with the new turbo and keeping some exsisting equipment. Looks just like a spacer, bolted to the cast hub, fairly thick. These are not on the backs, correct?
Thanks for clearing this up!
Old 08-22-2008 | 11:58 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, hum. These are parts bin cars. Before 85.5 944's with 7" wheels required 1/2 inch aluminum hub centric spacers in the rear to go along with the permanently affixed front adapter. 85.5 and 86 cars are uniquely configured with aluminum arms, early offset, permanent front spacer, no rear spacer.

Be very careful if you add front spacers to early offset cars if you are considering competition uses. When you get a spacer that is wide enough to place the imaginary line made by your strut to the ground too far to the inside of the front tire, steering response becomes incredibly slow and vague. We've concluded that this configuration essentially makes the front wheels "circle" around the strut's pivot point rather than turning the tire itself....baaaadddd voodoo. Front tires feel like that are tied to the steering wheel with a delayed response rubber band, giving almost zero response at first turn-in, then finally gripping and turning in too tightly, making the nose scrub horribly. We wasted an entire season trying to make Club Sports work on an early offset car before we realized the horrible thing the big spacers were doing to front steering geometry.
Old 08-22-2008 | 12:27 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
Correct, hum. These are parts bin cars. Before 85.5 944's with 7" wheels required 1/2 inch aluminum hub centric spacers in the rear to go along with the permanently affixed front adapter. 85.5 and 86 cars are uniquely configured with aluminum arms, early offset, permanent front spacer, no rear spacer.

Be very careful if you add front spacers to early offset cars if you are considering competition uses. When you get a spacer that is wide enough to place the imaginary line made by your strut to the ground too far to the inside of the front tire, steering response becomes incredibly slow and vague. We've concluded that this configuration essentially makes the front wheels "circle" around the strut's pivot point rather than turning the tire itself....baaaadddd voodoo. Front tires feel like that are tied to the steering wheel with a delayed response rubber band, giving almost zero response at first turn-in, then finally gripping and turning in too tightly, making the nose scrub horribly. We wasted an entire season trying to make Club Sports work on an early offset car before we realized the horrible thing the big spacers were doing to front steering geometry.
Thanks. Noted... Much appreciated.
Old 08-22-2008 | 02:52 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

TheRealLefty: On my 86 951 Ive got narrow body 993 wheels. They look so skinny on the car considering my widebody +2" in the rear. Are you saying I shouldnt use spacers in the front? And what offset would you recommend ?
Old 08-22-2008 | 06:45 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished (2 weeks ago) the conversion on my '86 to accept late model rims. I did not have ANY type of spacer (factory or otherwise) on my front hubs. The old rims bolted up directly. The offset (or factory spacer) was part of the rim. This sounds a little odd....or maybe I had tooooomany pints at that point

Quick Reply: Front wheel spacer factory equipped?