Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KLR chip functions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KLR chip functions

My car has a code "3-3", which indicates KLR fault. I opened the KLR and found an Autothority chip (old one). This car was supposed to be stock. I read in Pelican archives that one function of an aftermarket chip was to eliminate the "limp home" mode- the 1.2 (fact gauge) bar limit boost. Is this true?
My car has 1.6-1.8 boost when first started/and upon restart. But it goes into "limp" mode within 5 mintues or so, with max 1.2 boost.
If the chip should eliminate the "limp" mode, maybe my problem is the chip. Also- I've read that to use the Autothority chip, you need 2 chips, one for DME and a different banjo bolt. I've not opened the DME yet, and I'm not sure what to look for to see if the banjo bolt is the special one for the Autothority chips.

What do I look for to identify the banjo bolt?

Sorry for the newb questions, first 944, and never messed with chips, so it's all new to me!

Mitch
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ocyclehum
My car has a code "3-3", which indicates KLR fault. I opened the KLR and found an Autothority chip (old one). This car was supposed to be stock. I read in Pelican archives that one function of an aftermarket chip was to eliminate the "limp home" mode- the 1.2 (fact gauge) bar limit boost. Is this true?
My car has 1.6-1.8 boost when first started/and upon restart. But it goes into "limp" mode within 5 mintues or so, with max 1.2 boost.
If the chip should eliminate the "limp" mode, maybe my problem is the chip. Also- I've read that to use the Autothority chip, you need 2 chips, one for DME and a different banjo bolt. I've not opened the DME yet, and I'm not sure what to look for to see if the banjo bolt is the special one for the Autothority chips.

What do I look for to identify the banjo bolt?

Sorry for the newb questions, first 944, and never messed with chips, so it's all new to me!

Mitch
I am not aware of any aftermarket chip that claim to eliminate the KLR dianostic/fault detection, or the limp home protection. So I would expect the blink codes and limp mode to be present w/ Autothority chips. The aftermarket chips eliminate (or infinitely increase) the overboost protection limit on the DME chip.

A "jetted" banjo bolt will have a restricted orifice tapped/screwed into the open end, like a drilled set screw or a carb. jet.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitch, where r u located? I am sure a 'Lister would swap KLR's with you to make sure that is indead your problem.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

I'm in Lexington, KY. Sure would be nice to know for sure.Just pulled my injectors today to send off to be cleaned, and am replacing all eng compartment fuel lines. So, car will be down for about a week and a half.

Looked at my banjo bolt and the inside is completely hollow, no type of "jet/orfice" to restrict flow. From what I have read, the Autothority chips, need this special banjo bolt. I think mine is the early type chip, not stage II. Now I'm suspecting there is a possibility there is not a chip in the DME, and someone swapped KLR's in this car, but just a wild guess. Maybe somebody got the chips and didn't realize the special banjo bolt was needed.

What would the symtoms of running one of these chips without the special banjo bolt?

Thanks guys-
Mitch
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

I will be passing through knoxville and Nashville area on Aug 29th or 30th. Driving the truck so i could meet you and let you try it out, but that's about it. Maybe someone has a car that's out of commision that would be willing to ship you thiers for a week?? There are a few other Listers in your area, maybe they will offer to help. Need anything let me know!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe "limp" mode is actually just base boost. That's about the boost you'd expect from a worn 951 wastegate.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Swagger93
I believe "limp" mode is actually just base boost. That's about the boost you'd expect from a worn 951 wastegate.
Limp is .2 Bar over atmospheric. Our cars normaly run .8-ish over atmospheric. HUGE difference!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

Thanks for the help- hopefully I'll have this solved soon. I got a chance today to open the DME and it also has the Autothority chip, appears to be stage I. Did some searching on the archives on the Autothority chips and the jetted banjo bolt, and it looks like the Stage I did not use the jetted banjo bolt, so that's not my problem. I'm still betting on the pressure sensor in the KLR, if I can only find the part.....
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pressure sensor in the KLR is only there to run the stock boost gauge; I'm pretty sure. So, I don't think that's your problem.
Getting only .2 bar boost is usually a sign of faulty engine knock control, cycling valve circuit no good, or bad TPS.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:11 PM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

The car does boost, when started/restarted, then the KLR is having/or seeing a fault and limits it to "limp" mode. Replaced TPS. Code 3-3 indicates fault within the KLR, knock sensor has it's own codes, I suppose these codes are trustworthy.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, let us know how you make out if you get a new KLR pressure sensor; I'd be curious.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 AM
6ocyclehum
Instructor

I will, however finding this part is proving to be a serious challenge!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just realized you're looking for a KLR pressure sensor not a cycling valve.

Last edited by Swagger93; 08-18-2008 at 03:41 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Quick Reply: KLR chip functions