Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New 951 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 PM
rh951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 951 Owner

Hi just purchased 86 951 with 83,300 miles completely stock. the owner had some autothority chips and a banjo bolt he gave me with the car. Called autothority and asked them some questions about the chips and they would not tell me anything because I was not the orinal purchaser which I understand.
the # on the chips are por.01.951.120 dme and klr. Has anyone had any experience with these and if so was it good or bad. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the board. My advice would be to get different chips unless you are planning to modify it more in the near future. Then you might as well wait
Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default chips...

Hey mate,
welcome...we run Auto. chips on both cars and like them very much. I am not sure what you are asking about them though.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 PM
CPR
Race Director

Sorry...After reading again I think I know what you are asking. If I remeber correctly the first digit in the chip number denotes whether it is a stage I or stage II chipset, thus making it a stage I (01). The output of the set is approximately 15 added HP and 13 added TQ. It is a very reliable set that does not upset the car (idling problems, excessive smoke (running rich), acceleration inconsistencies-throughout the powerband, etc...). They do not require any "outside" tuning or adjusting, and are a simple plug and play type. Simply open you computer up (located passenger side firewall-interior behind the carpet and panel) and replace your DME and KLR chips one at a time w/ the Auto chips and that's it. You should also disconnect your battery first. Hope this helps....
Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 AM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by rh951
Hi just purchased 86 951 with 83,300 miles completely stock. the owner had some autothority chips and a banjo bolt he gave me with the car. Called autothority and asked them some questions about the chips and they would not tell me anything because I was not the orinal purchaser which I understand.
the # on the chips are por.01.951.120 dme and klr. Has anyone had any experience with these and if so was it good or bad. Thanks for the help.
What a load of crap. I just bought a 1986 951 on 8/27/08. It has the 951MaxHP chipset. I contacted the company 951max through their website form with the car's VIN and name/city of the previous owner, and Russell of 951Max emailed me back the same day and told me everything I needed to know about the chip. That is what I call support. These chips come highly recommended. Send this story in to Authority and push them for details. If they still put you off, get the 951Max chips and post a video of you sledging the Authority chips, they won't be any good to you anyway if you don't know which engine components are optimal matches (i.e. 2.5bar or 3bar FPR? should you have a stock or bigger turbo? a stock or 3" exhaust?). I'm definitely not an expert in this area, but this was my experience. We're basically in the same shoes, with different chipsets.

Last edited by jmj951; 08-08-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure about the numbers on the chip but when originally purchased, the stage 1 set up was just a DME chip, the stage 2 was the DME & Klr chips with the jetted banjo bolt. The stage 3 was the MAF kit. Damn I feel old now.

The APE chips are know for running dangerously lean up top when you fidle with boost so just use the supplied banjo bolt and be done with it (likely to be rich). The ape chips are mapped for a boost spike (jetted banjo bolt) and then a drop off so sustained boost to redline leans it out.

If you want to extract max power out of your car safely, toss that set-up and get a boost controller, vitesse chips and a decent waste gate.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:02 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Not sure about the numbers on the chip but when originally purchased, the stage 1 set up was just a DME chip, the stage 2 was the DME & Klr chips with the jetted banjo bolt. The stage 3 was the MAF kit. Damn I feel old now.

The APE chips are know for running dangerously lean up top when you fidle with boost so just use the supplied banjo bolt and be done with it (likely to be rich). The ape chips are mapped for a boost spike (jetted banjo bolt) and then a drop off so sustained boost to redline leans it out.

If you want to extract max power out of your car safely, toss that set-up and get a boost controller, vitesse chips and a decent waste gate.
Do what he says, unless you want to be a part of my signature.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Damn I feel old now.
Damn old for this site would be more like it, not many of use around here any more.

Add injectors to the list, oil cooler if you track the car. Then you can start down the narrow road of suspension updates.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 AM
rh951
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the info. i was suprised that autothority would not give any info about the chips. they said they could be counterfit. thanks Again
Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 AM
CPR
Race Director

rh951,
I stopped in Auto's shop today and talked to a few of the techs...they do not recall anyone calling them about the chips. Maybe you called sales instead? Give them another shot on Monday...it is not a bad set to get started with...especially since they were "free". Or if you do not have a budgetary priority dump those and buy the other set-ups listed above. Sorry you did not have a good first impression of their support. They have been great to us.
Cheers
Patrick

Quick Reply: New 951 Owner