Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A bit of E-85 and short tuning info

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008 | 10:13 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of E-85 and short tuning info

Well. We only had two hours today. couple of problems plagued us.

Tried to throw in 35% more fuel at first to get a baseline. - also referencing wideband that is an outdated version Crazy problems there fooling us for the first hour - like wouldn't go below our target lambda of .78 (Which equals a 7.5/1 air fuel) - out of its range. We were actually Waaay below that - too much fuel, and the meter wasn't reading lower. Very confusing. We kept pulling out fuel and pulling out fuel. Horsepower finally started to come up.

Something else very interesting.

So far it only wants 15% more fuel in places. Were' not even close to the edge of lean yet.

EDIT: Now it makes sense. Sam had me increase the fuel pressure by 10lbs so we could make the target power without havin to raise it later and re-do all the fuel maps.
So we may have raised pulse widths 15%, but I forgot to factor in the extra 10psi in fuel.

Pretty positive boost indicators though. Boosted to 15psi..
Got that at 3200rpm. Very close to the K26. But. It's still running a little rich and no early boosting tricks have been applied. I'm pretty sure it's going to get to almost equal boost (As it almost already is, but I mean almost the exact same) as the K26 But with much larger power gains per lb. Especially when you consider it took 18lbs to get 256hp. So far 275hp @ 15 and climbing

We had to stop there. Have to wait until next Friday to finish. That aboutkilled me, but he's doing this work more for a co-worker than a customer (Really, really detailed tuning and alot of lets try this and maybe that) soo... Beggars can't be choosers

Last edited by 95ONE; 07-19-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:50 PM
RR944T
Banned

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Well. We only had two hours today. couple of problems plagued us.

Tried to throw in 35% more fuel at first to get a baseline. - also referencing wideband that is an outdated version Crazy problems there fooling us for the first hour - like wouldn't go below our target lambda of .78 (Which equals a 7.5/1 air fuel) - out of its range. We were actually Waaay below that - too much fuel, and the meter wasn't reading lower. Very confusing. We kept pulling out fuel and pulling out fuel. Horsepower finally started to come up.

Something else very interesting.

So far it only wants 15% more fuel in places. Were' not even close to the edge of lean yet.
Pretty positive boost indicators though. Boosted to 15psi..
Got that at 3200rpm. Very close to the K26. But. It's still running a little rich and no early boosting tricks have been applied. I'm pretty sure it's going to get to almost equal boost (As it almost already is, but I mean almost the exact same) as the K26 But with much larger power gains per lb. Especially when you consider it took 18lbs to get 256hp. So far 275hp @ 15 and climbing

We had to stop there. Have to wait until next Friday to finish. That aboutkilled me, but he's doing this work more for a co-worker than a customer (Really, really detailed tuning and alot of lets try this and maybe that) soo... Beggars can't be choosers
What was the output with gasoline @ 15psi?
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:57 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well theres certainly alot more in it. I would have thought youd be well over 300hp at 15psi.

Do you think you will be as well? Or do you think because the rest of the assembly is stock thats not possible?
Old 07-19-2008 | 02:22 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I don't think I'll get mre than 285-290 at 15psi. I've done everything to flow air before and after the head, but I think the head is now the bottleneck.

EDIT: I guess I'll be getting more. That was still 5deg retarded - while fuel was getting worked out, and it was still rich... Can't wait.

I'm not doing a pump or race gas tune. This car is strictly E-85.

Last edited by 95ONE; 07-22-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2008 | 02:49 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume stock cam?
Old 07-19-2008 | 02:51 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Stock cam, head, valves, pistons, rods, crank, etc. The last of the few stock parts.
Old 07-19-2008 | 03:27 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't think I'll get mre than 285-290 at 15psi. I've done everything to flow air before and after the head, but I think the head is now the bottleneck.

I'm not doing a pump or race gas tune. This car is strictly E-85.
damn well thats not encouraging for me then. I was hoping for 350-360ish on pump gas myself at just 3 more psi(18). We are talking 70ish hp at the wheels difference there between our setups with only 3 psi change.

damn...I hope im not in lala land with my own hopes for hp.
Old 07-19-2008 | 03:31 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Don't be discouraged. It could jump 30hp or more next tuning session. We have yet to finish leaning out the fuel and have had NO time on ignition.
ALSO. That number has only a 3% correction factor. (112F intake temps) - Houston. Many on here have some pretty optimistic correction numbers.

It seems most on here get about 300hp at 15-16lbs on a turbo meant for that boost. Mine is in it's efficiency at 20psi. (had Precision change out to a GT compressor wheel meant for higher boost - e.g one suited for my car)

Last edited by 95ONE; 07-19-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2008 | 03:52 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was just talking to a friend that rebuilt Indy engines about the effects on E85 on engine parts. He said that they flushed the entire fuel system with normal gas before the car was put away.
Old 07-19-2008 | 04:23 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't be discouraged. It could jump 30hp or more next tuning session. We have yet to finish leaning out the fuel and have had NO time on ignition.
ALSO. That number has only a 3% correction factor. (112F intake temps) - Houston. Many on here have some pretty optimistic correction numbers.

It seems most on here get about 300hp at 15-16lbs on a turbo meant for that boost. Mine is in it's efficiency at 20psi.
hmm I guess well see. I just spent the last few hours reading through old threads with people running the same setup as mine and there were several dynos at 350rwhp on 18psi.

I'm really hoping the cam+head I have will help my numbers some.
Old 07-19-2008 | 01:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

ported heads with a cam (if done right) should give huge gains.
Old 07-19-2008 | 01:37 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
I was just talking to a friend that rebuilt Indy engines about the effects on E85 on engine parts. He said that they flushed the entire fuel system with normal gas before the car was put away.
Are you sure he wasn't talking about Methanol? Huge difference. (not that You don't know the difference, but He may not)
And, If you're going to put a car away until another season. It's a nice margin of safety even with Ethanol.
Old 07-19-2008 | 01:52 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

ported heads with a cam (if done right) should give huge gains.
hope so. What are your plans for yours. Are you going big bore/stroke?

Do you plan on using the stock 2.5 until is blows up or something. Your higher boost runs are you going to be running the car in that configuration most of the time? Daily use?

Any info on what you intend to use the car for and what kind of life expectancy you are hoping to get outta a stock 2/5 running that kind of boost would be good to know.

The motor going in mine is brand new but, the rods,pistons,crank(save for knife edged) are all stock parts. I'm dying to know how much damage am I actually going to do to it?

Perhaps 1 or 2 full high boost runs a week. How much life on the motor am I sacrficing. I ran 20psi daily on my old setup but, it was on a little baby turbo not pushing much air. I expect the stress level here will be much greater.
Old 07-19-2008 | 02:19 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Honestly. When I had the super laggy 60-1 turbo, The car was pretty stupid fast. I estimate that I had about 360 to the wheels, and I think that's where I will run it everyday. (Assuming between 18-20psi on this set up)
Additionally, the 60-1 didn't boost until 4Krpm. This guy seems to be boosting almost 1Krpms sooner.
I'm really very happy with the extra power under the curve. It will be a fantastic roadrace set up.
I will only go above this boost for a few reasons. - To get a good1/4mile time. - won't be doing that much.
and to pass/keep up with the few that actually can drive as fast as me in the corners, but can pass me on the straight. - Electronic boost controller changes boost levels instantly- for the straights only. - And then, If that doesn't work, I'll just admire their set up as faster and keep the boost down to around 18-20psi.

My mph will tell all. Not my Dyno readings. Honestly. Markus and Tool were only 2 MPH faster than me in the 1/4 mile. The earlier spool takes care of this. But now I'm planning on 60+ more wheel horspower than that.. Stupid fast. I don't need that kind of power all the time.
Old 07-19-2008 | 02:37 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Honestly. When I had the super laggy 60-1 turbo, The car was pretty stupid fast. I estimate that I had about 360 to the wheels, and I think that's where I will run it everyday. (Assuming between 18-20psi on this set up)
Additionally, the 60-1 didn't boost until 4Krpm. This guy seems to be boosting almost 1Krpms sooner.
I'm really very happy with the extra power under the curve. It will be a fantastic roadrace set up.
I will only go above this boost for a few reasons. - To get a good1/4mile time. - won't be doing that much.
and to pass/keep up with the few that actually can drive as fast as me in the corners, but can pass me on the straight. - Electronic boost controller changes boost levels instantly- for the straights only. - And then, If that doesn't work, I'll just admire their set up as faster and keep the boost down to around 18-20psi.

My mph will tell all. Not my Dyno readings. Honestly. Markus and Tool were only 2 MPH faster than me in the 1/4 mile. The earlier spool takes care of this. But now I'm planning on 60+ more wheel horspower than that.. Stupid fast. I don't need that kind of power all the time.
thats actually a common opinion(i've been searching like crazy). Everyone seems to think a real flat tq curve in a 951 with 350-360ish rwhp is a stupid fast car..on the track and street.

I hope im as impressed with it as they all seem to be. I've never driven a 350rwhp 951. My 951 was the fastest i've ever run into and the few in the area that would have no probblem running over me weren't close enough to me.

Now im going to be 300ish lbs less in the weight department and hold full boost to redline as well as making 60ish more hp at the wheels for the duration. I hope it runs. Cause honestly 300whp felt pretty slow

Isn't your car extremely light? Perhaps me on e85 at 400ish vs you at 350ish might be a good race. I think im going to be in the 2800range without driver.

Quick Reply: A bit of E-85 and short tuning info