Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil pressure question

My oil pressure light suddenly went on while racing at Pocono last weekend. Luckily it happened right before pits in and there were no cars around. I immediately cut the engine off and coasted into the pits. Up to that point the engine had good oil pressure other that the fact that it was taking 4-6 seconds to get up to full pressure after sitting for a while.

The engine starts and runs fine now with no strange noises. Before I tear into the engine I’m trying to exclude the easy stuff. I replaced the pressure sending unit with no difference. When I crank the engine, oil oozes out of the pressure sending unit hole. Also lots of oil comes out of the oil filter mount. But absolutely no oil comes out of the OPRV hole. The OPRV (old style 3 pc) itself is bone dry. Does this point to anything? TIA
Old 07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like something is sticking- replace your oil filter- sometimes they stick- and make sure your oprv is aligned. I had my car loose oil pressure at mid ohio - pulled the oprv out, and reinstalled and its run fine since but i still need to get the alignment tool and fix it.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Assuming the crank bolt is torqued to spec, I'd start by trying a known-good one-piece OPRV.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

The filter was replaced, no difference. I ordered an one-piece OPRV but they sent me one for an '87+ which doesn't fit. I have to wait until next week for that. I'm concerned that when I crank the engine there is no oil coming out the OPRV hole. Does this point to anything?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

The crank bolt is tight.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC the line going INTO the oil filter housing comes from the oil cooler right?? Could you have a restriction in the cooler?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the input. My question really is, is there supposed to be oil coming out of the OPRV hole as I crank the engine?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

assuming your car is stock, this sounds normal. The oil got really hot (thinned)/foamed up while you were on the track and at idle speeds the engine couldn't physically build significant oil pressure. What oil were you running?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

What oil were you running?
Red Line Racing 50 WT. The oil looks fine but still zero oil pressure.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you saying after you let the car cool down and started it again it didn't have oil pressure?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

are you saying after you let the car cool down and started it again it didn't have oil pressure?
Yes. What has me stumped is that, when I crank the engine, oil oozes out of the oil pressure hole and the oil filter mount but the OPRV tube is bone dry.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try new OPRV and new oil filter. If that does not work pull the pan to check the oil pickup tube and bearings. The #2 rod could be damaged even now.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Speaking with a reputable tech, it appears that it is not building enough pressure to push oil through the OPRV passage but just enough to get oil up to the oil filter. Apparently it requires a fair amount of pressure to get oil to the OPRV. So I'll be ripping into it this weekend. And since I'm there, I'll be doing the rod bearing, assuming that I don't find anything terminal. Thank you all for your input.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

I just want to pass an update on the lost oil pressure situation.

After trying without success to remedy the situation from the outside, I finally took down the oil pan and the problem was pretty obvious. The pickup tube had sheared about 1 inch from the base.

I have no idea why it happened. No excessive vibration that I could see. Although one of the motor mounts was on its way out. It did give me a fair amount of warning in the form of slowly building up pressure when first starting. I supposed it had cracked at some point and then broke all together at Pocono’s front straight. The strange thing is that, although the tube had sheared pretty high, the pump was somehow still moving oil all the way to the filter but not enough to build up pressure.

In any case, no other harm was done as far as I could tell. I filtered to oil and there was absolutely no metal. The road bearings had been replaced a couple of seasons ago and looked fine. The Red Line race oil did its job well. I went ahead and replaced them anyway. The car is back together. Nice oil pressure right at startup. Life is good again.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. It's nice to hear a good resolution rather than what I expected.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure question