Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car Overheats (see details)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Jcubed71
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Overheats (see details)

I have an 86' 944T and my car just started doing this.

1. The temp gets goes past half and continues to climb, when i pull over and stop the car antifrezze leaks out of the bottom of the car, dumps alot of antifreeze dang near the hole bit.

2. Waited till it cooled down refilled, no leaks, but when back on the road and up to operating temp , and again it continues to climb(overheat), stop the carbefore it gets to red and antifreeze comes out again.

?

could it be...thermostat or waterpump suggestions guys thx ahead of time.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:15 AM
George D
Drifting

Change your thermostat.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 AM
George D
Drifting

It could also be a non sealing radiator cap. Flush your system, change the cap, one gallon of antifreeze and distilled water till full, add a new thermostat. Bleed out the air. Run the car, bleed out the air. You should be good to go. Don't ask why I know.

George
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 AM
spammajamma
Pro

Default waterpump, impeller may have come loose or it might have

Originally Posted by Jcubed71
I have an 86' 944T and my car just started doing this.

1. The temp gets goes past half and continues to climb, when i pull over and stop the car antifrezze leaks out of the bottom of the car, dumps alot of antifreeze dang near the hole bit.

2. Waited till it cooled down refilled, no leaks, but when back on the road and up to operating temp , and again it continues to climb(overheat), stop the carbefore it gets to red and antifreeze comes out again.

?

could it be...thermostat or waterpump suggestions guys thx ahead of time.
seized, I had the exact same issues and it turned out to be the latter
Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I bet it's a bad headgasket. A bad headgasket can pressurize the coolant system and force coolant out of the overflow tube (and also cause the car to overheat).

I had a bad expansion tank cap and while I did experience coolant on the ground, I did not get overly hot.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Jcubed71
6th Gear

thanks for the tips, are you serious about headgasket?

i thought about removing the thremostat, to see but my spidey sense thinks it it the waterpump.

if it is should i go ahead and do the timing belt then to?

as far as the headgasket theory goes is there a way to tell?

thanks j

George I'll try the radiator cap also.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Darwantae951

Does the car make any funny noises? how old is the water pump? Did you install it yourself? New or rebuilt? Headgasket is a possibility.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 AM
George D
Drifting

Start the car in the morning. Smell the exhaust. Tell us the good or bad news.

G

Originally Posted by Jcubed71
thanks for the tips, are you serious about headgasket?

i thought about removing the thremostat, to see but my spidey sense thinks it it the waterpump.

if it is should i go ahead and do the timing belt then to?

as far as the headgasket theory goes is there a way to tell?

thanks j

George I'll try the radiator cap also.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 AM
Darwantae951

NAPA auto sells what they call a block tester. It will test the air in the expansion tank for the presence of combustion gasses. I used it to dismiss my headgasket as my problem. Are you in SoCal?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Jcubed71
6th Gear

I think it's the headgasket, but it being hotter right now, I just didn't see it cause it's not my daily driver. I noticed some antifreeze on the block , so I feared it then but never displayed the overheating and emtyin out of the overflow.

Question how terrible is that to replace. Mechanic or backyard job?

thanks for tips I will try the NAPA tester first before diving in to anything.

laters j
Old 06-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Darwantae951

How mechanically experienced are you? Do you have the tools to tension the belts? It will probably be an interesting experience (I've never pulled the head on a 944) but definately doable if you have tools and some skill.

Where are you at? If you're close I have a block test kit that you can use. Does anything come out of the exhaust? (White smoke?)
Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Jcubed71
6th Gear

Wow I underestimated how cool the members on this forum are, there are alot of genuine people here.. I'am a new member here. ok so here it goes....
oh btw I live in Ohio, thanks so much for the offer Though to let me use block tester. Are the expensive?

1. I've been an owner of a 944 since 92' I bought a 944 Sahara Red Mettalic 1983 base model, runs fine btw still. been garaged since, its my baby, very sentimental about this one.

2. I recently bought a heavily modded Silver metallic 944 1986 Turbo. Mass flow, stage 3 chip, momo short shift, racing tires, european style side skirts etc etc.. I'll have to post pics of both, but alas there is problems.

I first noticed something shortly after I bought it when there was more light and noticed coolant pooling on the driver side of block, not massive pooling but enough to dip a rag down there and tell it was coolant, ran fine tho so I never really let it go past that. then one day here recently when the weather got hotter the engine was overheating and thankfully I was close to home when I stoped at home the fluid let loose. When the head gasket was mentioned that got me thinking about the the coolant pooling on drivers side block?

It smokes alittle when starting but not at normal operating temps.

I've been working alot of overtime so havent had time to try some of your suggestions. I'll need it for the bill. lol hopefully I don't have to do that.

um my skills are beginner to med at best I'd have to pull friends and family into any difficult endeavors under the hood.

With my first Porsche I always did prreventive maintiance so I never needed to pull the head.

Thanks for everything,

j
Old 06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 186 Posts

J, where in ohio? There are quite a few of us around the columbus area. There is also a fairly large group in Cinci.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Jcubed71
6th Gear

lol columbus, me too. Well 20min north of Polaris actually I thought about going to Comfestival this weekend.

friggin schweet.

do you guys have a group there?

laters, j

p.s. nice cars smokintr6

Quick Reply: Car Overheats (see details)