Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any way to stop hatch glass separation once its started?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Zero10 - did you get the Permatex from Canadian Tire. I was been trying with Silicone II from GE and have a hard time getting it to flow into the opening to my satisfaction
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
I'd doubt it, hence the disclaimer.
That's pretty much my point. If they aren't going to replace it, then it doesnt matter who breaks it. He may as well do it himself, save the money, and then he can be sure that no one will handle it carelessly.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:37 AM
istone
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a hatch out of an 87 on Craiglist. It came with the power wiper and central brake light that my '83 N/A needed. The guy was moving out of town on the day I called. The moving truck was pretty well packed. It was an easy negotiation... $100

Also an easy bent hatch fix
Old 06-28-2008, 04:34 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Zero10 - did you get the Permatex from Canadian Tire. I was been trying with Silicone II from GE and have a hard time getting it to flow into the opening to my satisfaction
The stuff I bought was from Partsource (a division of bumper to bumper technically). It was a few years ago so I forget who made it, but I bought the only tube labeled "flowable silicone". The stuff goes on quite thick but if you leave it to itself for a couple of minutes it just disappears down into any hole. Pretty neat stuff.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:48 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I found it at Canadian Tire (partsource is now a division of Cdn Tire). Permatex makes it. Used it yesterday and watched it fill the opening. Looks like great stuff, hopefully it will last a while.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:26 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zero10
The stuff I bought was from Partsource (a division of bumper to bumper technically). It was a few years ago so I forget who made it, but I bought the only tube labeled "flowable silicone". The stuff goes on quite thick but if you leave it to itself for a couple of minutes it just disappears down into any hole. Pretty neat stuff.
How well has the bond held up?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hatch in question is 700km away buried in a garage right now but last time I looked at it (a couple months ago) the silicon was 4 years old and still holding like the day it was applied. I have no doubts it'll still keep the water out. The section where it separated is raised very slightly from the glass (obviously, because it separated) but other than that the raised section hasn't spread and it never leaked water again. I think the PO slammed the hatch a lot because when I got it the pins were badly mis-adjusted and the hatch shocks were completely shot. Shortly after re-sealing the separated section I replaced the hatch shocks and corrected the pin adjustment, don't know if that's significant or not.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
BackInBlack
Advanced

Originally Posted by PEvans
My body shop guy (Bodystyle in San Jose, CA) had a guy who came in to reseal mine. I have the no-wiper-hole hatch variant and I really wanted to save it because I like the clean look. I think I have seen DIY procedures posted, but there must also be other pros with experience with this.
What did that cost? I'm in SJ too.

I'm really not sure if mine is seperated. I do get a rattle that didn't go away when replacing the hatch seal and I can see the "frayed" sealant.

BTW...I tried to adjust the hatch latch pins, but they seem frozen. Any secrets.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spammajamma
thanks, I know the place...across the street from Big Bill's NY Pizza

on edit, just called them $200.00 but really pushing the fact the glass breaks fairly often
Still, I'm more than likely to break it myself and the above directions look daunting
Damn, they told you $200? WTF? who did you talk to? I went in a second time to confirm everything 2 weeks ago, they stayed at $150. I talked to Preferred auto glass (just a couple blocks east) and they said that anything over $150, and they don't want to do the job and they're driving you away. (I work with a lot of glass shops, and I don't have a lot of money, so for jollies, I put em in a bid war... )

Anyway, Yeah, I talked to Rodney at Elite, and like with you, he emphasized that it's a risky procedure and he will NOT cover the glass if it breaks. Fortunately, they're cheap...ish... when used... I told him if it broke I'd go grab another one...

So when I get a spare $150, I'm going to have elite do it.

And big bill's pizza is the ****... Love that place. get it for free because we hook Bill up with cheap rentals.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:47 PM
istone
AutoX

I was looking at the GT Racing rear hatch replacement a year ago when the hatch on my '83 was bent. It would probably end up costing a grand once was shipped and painted, but sure looked sweet on their website.

However some "know-it-all" told me the fit and finish was poor.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2008, 10:18 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Default For $150. I'll take it in, I'm two left feet when handling delicate work

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Damn, they told you $200? WTF? who did you talk to? I went in a second time to confirm everything 2 weeks ago, they stayed at $150. I talked to Preferred auto glass (just a couple blocks east) and they said that anything over $150, and they don't want to do the job and they're driving you away. (I work with a lot of glass shops, and I don't have a lot of money, so for jollies, I put em in a bid war... )

Anyway, Yeah, I talked to Rodney at Elite, and like with you, he emphasized that it's a risky procedure and he will NOT cover the glass if it breaks. Fortunately, they're cheap...ish... when used... I told him if it broke I'd go grab another one...

So when I get a spare $150, I'm going to have elite do it.

And big bill's pizza is the ****... Love that place. get it for free because we hook Bill up with cheap rentals.
and Big Bill's is the ****!. lol

ehall, thanks for the encouragement though

Quick Reply: Any way to stop hatch glass separation once its started?