Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Will the noises ever stop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008 | 09:43 PM
DanR
Drifting

Default Will the noises ever stop?

No these are not the noises in my head but the ones on my 951.

I came back from the glen 3 weeks ago with a banging from the rear - lots of you correctly diagnosed it as CV joints...... so replaced the rears and it is now fine (at the rear anyway)

Went to Pocono today and I have 2 new noises

1) when I brake there is a tinny clunk coming from behing the pedal bulkhead?
2) when I transfer weight to either front corner (does not need much load) I get a clunk as though something is shifting under the load?

I am going to get it up in the air tomorrow, any ideas of what to look for?

I think I may also take it to a garage to have the suspension checked out as I had the dawning realisation today coming off the oval at near 150, I need EVERYTHING to be in perfect working order!!!!
Old 07-04-2008 | 09:48 PM
Darwantae951

I had a clunk in the front end and it was the sway bar. I don't know if you're still using factory sways, but the washer atop the rubber bushing broke away or something and the upper bushing was pushed over the nut. The result was a clunk in the front left when I made left turns.
Old 07-05-2008 | 07:29 PM
DanR
Drifting

well had it in the air and I can not find anything that looks out of place or loose. Guess it is beyond my abilities so into the garage it is on Monday. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2008 | 08:59 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Dan, some of those "clunks" are hard to diagnose on the lift... you come out of the bowl at Pocono, and you're probably pulling 1.2 Gs (or more). The car weighs 3000# - on the lift, if you try to "shake" the sway bar or a wheel, etc, you'll be luck to preload it with 150 -200# of force.

BTW, how'd you like pocono?
Old 07-06-2008 | 12:05 AM
DanR
Drifting

Hi VAn, to be honest I would have enjoyed Pocono a LOT more had it not pissed down in rain! I went out for my second session on shaved RA1's and it got a little hairy!!!!! (although that was the fun part)! Had a big moment on boost coming out of the bowl which got me over my tiredness from the early start.

As for the car...... the knocking when transfering loads is noticable on the track however the clunking noise when braking was only noticed on the way home. I have NO idea what it can be unfortunately. Hopefully it can be sorted before LRP on te 19th of July

Quick Reply: Will the noises ever stop?