Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fnding a Car to Purchase is Such a Pain

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008 | 03:30 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Rhobs car is solid but the two boys are growing fast and the younger one is bitching about but in one seat and legs in the other floorboard in the back as the older one rides shotgun.

With all the new weather stripping, it's very quiet. The LR exhaust has a nice note while on cruise. He's supposed to put new tires on it Tuesday - I think SO3's, and get the car aligned.
Old 06-26-2008 | 03:43 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by iborroel
I am not looking for a perfect car but I need an A/C that works. I live in Texas so I won't by a car that doesn't have one or has one that isn't working correctly. I don't think it's that hard to find a car with no oil leaks. I find it hard to believe that everyones 944 turbo on Rennlist has some kind of oil leak. I am looking up to $12K to spend on the car.
You could buy a car with working A/C and have it break a day later. When I bought my 944 it had working A/C, and when I went to use it this spring, it didn't work. $20 R134a recharge, and it works again.

If I found the car that I otherwise liked, I would agree to the price SUBJECT TO having the A/C repaired. I don't know why anyone would hesitate to bring it in for a repair if they otherwise had a good price.

As someone said, these are 20-25 year old cars, and they're not getting any younger. If you are too picky, you'll never get there.

PS: I also HATE selling cars. Same problems but in reverse.
Old 06-26-2008 | 03:49 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ski
Yeah, Rhobs car is solid but the two boys are growing fast and the younger one is bitching about but in one seat and legs in the other floorboard in the back as the older one rides shotgun.

With all the new weather stripping, it's very quiet. The LR exhaust has a nice note while on cruise. He's supposed to put new tires on it Tuesday - I think SO3's, and get the car aligned.
I am waiting to get some information from him on the car.
Old 06-26-2008 | 08:24 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

like this...
Engine
All new bearings, rod and main, and BS bearings.
Bores – were excellent but did a finishing pass, Alusil paste and felts, to seat in new rings
All new seals and RMS
Crank was micro polished before install
All bearings were installed with Redline assembly lube.
New water pump
82° thermostat
Oil pump disassembled and cleaned, reassembled, reinstalled same.
All new belts and rollers
Rebuilt head
New factory head studs
LR 340 kit, dry turbo, Mafterburner
MAX chips
UEGO WBO2
LR 3” exhaust
New fuel lines
Intake, exhaust, and heat shields, Jet Hot coated
Rebuilt starter and alternator
Cup Car PP, with 930 disc, TO and pilot bearing new.
New slave cylinder and hose assembly
New Speed and Reference sensors
All new water hoses
New Sanden A/C compressor, R134a
New expansion tank

Control Arms
Sent to SSI Auto, crack checked, new bronze bushing and ball joint pins. Weltmeister front bushings installed and new 968 castor blocks.

Rear axles in great condition, repacked same with CV grease from Paragon.
Brake system flushed with ATE Super Blue, new metal master pads all around.

Front Sport struts, Sachs, with 220# springs, Sport Konis on the rear. Car lowered about ¾” all around.

Mafterburner CD comes with the car. Dual pillar pod inside, boost and oil temp. 968 CS steering wheel. Lots of records.

Paint speaks for itself
Old 06-27-2008 | 01:04 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

there is one tiny spider web crack on one of the defrost vent openings, just found it.

Last edited by Ski; 06-27-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2008 | 01:18 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Why must you keep posting pictures of this beauty? Well maybe I should stop looking! i am waiting to hear back from Rob. I am not the type to bug individuals so once he emails me back with contact information I will call him.
Old 06-27-2008 | 01:23 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

We just ran the Car Fax. AR exempts anything past 1990. His title says 33,xxx and is wrong. We ran mine, and mine is the same way. Both cars are documented with records, bill of sale, title, etc but AR can screw up anything. I'll post the car fax, as he just emailed it to me.

***because he does not have internet at his lake home here and he's sitting next to me in my home office.!!!

he's emailing you now through my router.
Old 06-27-2008 | 01:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is the gallery of the car

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/Rhob?page=2
Old 06-27-2008 | 01:55 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Buying that car would be a no brainer if I were in the market for a "street" 951.
Old 06-27-2008 | 06:59 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

have a nice 88 turbo s in my shop for sale....
vinnie@gulfperformance.com
has ice cold a/c
Old 06-27-2008 | 07:06 PM
George D
Drifting

You are right, and I just got a tad defensive. The market value for these cars is all over the map. You can put 8k into a 10K car fairly quickly and still have lingering things that should get updated.

I'm hoping that more of these cars get into hands of folks that bring them up to their past glory.

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I did say "probably" not "absolutely." OK there is one or two very nice examples out there in the $20K 951 market, but generally people spending half that will be dealing with some problems and should not expect perfection.

I still think that most sellers that would claim a 20 year old turbo sportscar has no problems are *probably* full of it, so when you make the trip to see that car, expect there to be a few undisclosed problems and you'll be less likely to be disappointed.

Happiness is all about managing expectations.
-Joel.
Old 06-27-2008 | 07:42 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

I paid over 20 grand for my 89 turbo in April of this year, so cars are trading hands at that level. I figured there was no point in buying a 10k 951 and chucking another 10k at it for a car that would still be worth 10k at the end of the day.
Old 06-27-2008 | 07:46 PM
George D
Drifting

That wing looks great. Do you have another pic of your car?

George

Originally Posted by StyleLab
I paid over 20 grand for my 89 turbo in April of this year, so cars are trading hands at that level. I figured there was no point in buying a 10k 951 and chucking another 10k at it for a car that would still be worth 10k at the end of the day.
Old 06-27-2008 | 08:36 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

sure...
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2008 | 09:37 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StyleLab
sure...
I remember seeing this car on Ebay or the Rennlist classifieds. It is a very good looking car.

Quick Reply: Fnding a Car to Purchase is Such a Pain