Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fnding a Car to Purchase is Such a Pain

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 10:32 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Default Fnding a Car to Purchase is Such a Pain

I have been looking for a car recently and it has been somewhat disappointing. I have found some that look interesting only to find out that the car has an A/C issue, a small leak, no A/F or dyno logs on a modified car, no call back, etc. I am looking for a car that I can pick up, if need be, and drive back home to Texas without worries. I have asked in the past but if someone has a lead on one please let me know. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:01 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're telling me. I hate buying a car.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:02 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Thats a VERY tall order for a 951 these days... These cars are several decades old, and to expect perfection right off the bat is tough. What is your budget? The car you are looking for will not be cheap. Most people spend months looking for a decent turbo.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:05 AM
eniac
Drifting

Check in FL. I have seen quite a few good ones there in the past, that's where my car came from. I haven't been to FL in a couple years so things may have changed.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:08 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smokintr6
Thats a VERY tall order for a 951 these days... These cars are several decades old, and to expect perfection right off the bat is tough. What is your budget? The car you are looking for will not be cheap. Most people spend months looking for a decent turbo.
I am not looking for a perfect car but I need an A/C that works. I live in Texas so I won't by a car that doesn't have one or has one that isn't working correctly. I don't think it's that hard to find a car with no oil leaks. I find it hard to believe that everyones 944 turbo on Rennlist has some kind of oil leak. I am looking up to $12K to spend on the car.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:25 AM
M758
Race Director

Finding a nice cars can take time. By this point in their lives many are old and worn. 12k may not even be enough for a car in the condition you want. Maybe it is and it will just take time to find it. I see this as the future for the 944 and 951. Old beat cars go cheap and the nice once slowly increase in value since they are getting harder and harder to find.
Old 06-24-2008 | 12:16 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

We have one at my shop here in Austin for sale. It needs a little work but it has under 100k miles. PM for details.
Old 06-24-2008 | 12:34 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you find one that doesn't have problems, the seller is probably just full of it and you'll find the problems on your way home. Just plan and budget for a proper refresh of the AC system, even if you find one that works it might need a major service in the next few years.
Old 06-24-2008 | 01:01 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

I think you might be mistaken about the oil leak thing... I bet quite a few 944s have them.
Jfrahm probably has the best idea, look for a car that is about $9k, and plan on spending 3 to 5 grand to fix oil leaks and AC / misc.

I'm not trying to be overly negative here. You should be able to find a really nice 951 for $12k with solid mechanicals and working AC, but it may still leak a few drops of oil in your garage. For my money there are more important things to worry about; paint condition, waterpump clutch, accident damage
Old 06-24-2008 | 01:18 PM
Wes-P
Instructor

I have talked to in PM's in the past, my 951 for sale in the classifieds has a working AC unit, and only one oil leak over the AOS. I have dyno charts for it, but its been 2years since it was pushing that same PSI on the track, and since i dont track it i have not done it since. I also have an appointment in little rock to get the Air/Fuel ratio tuned..but thats not to say mine doesn't come with a few problems, but mechanically i find it sound.
Old 06-24-2008 | 01:44 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wes-P
I have talked to in PM's in the past, my 951 for sale in the classifieds has a working AC unit, and only one oil leak over the AOS. I have dyno charts for it, but its been 2years since it was pushing that same PSI on the track, and since i dont track it i have not done it since. I also have an appointment in little rock to get the Air/Fuel ratio tuned..but thats not to say mine doesn't come with a few problems, but mechanically i find it sound.
Your car is actually on the top of my list. The A/C working is great especially in TX. The AOS issue isn't a biggie. I'm sure the shop can get this sorted without any huge hassles. Have you posted pictures yet?
Old 06-24-2008 | 03:40 PM
Wes-P
Instructor

No, but i just washed it and vacuumed it today, working on the driver side interior door handle, but on thursday ill take some pictures, got you and a few others waiting to see them. my for sale ad was updated quite alot actually.
Old 06-24-2008 | 05:15 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

buy mine in perfect condition no leaks and everything new
Old 06-24-2008 | 05:22 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

That's a good looking car but the color is not on my preferred list. Do you have a link to picutres or a for sale ad?
Old 06-24-2008 | 05:51 PM
George D
Drifting

I have to disagree. I've never sold a car that didn't have everything working and proper docs. The last 951 that I sold did fetch 20K, and it was worth every cent. The new owner drove the car for eight years with just a new clutch and proper maintenance. This was a modified 330hp car that was not driven lightly. He recently installed a 3.0 motor. Some of us just can't keep good enough alone.

These car can eat up much money if you let things go for very long. Getting a great car with records is worth a premium. You will spend whatever you save and much more trying to compromise on a so-so car. There aren't many good examples of these cars left and even fewer great ones.

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
If you find one that doesn't have problems, the seller is probably just full of it and you'll find the problems on your way home. Just plan and budget for a proper refresh of the AC system, even if you find one that works it might need a major service in the next few years.

Quick Reply: Fnding a Car to Purchase is Such a Pain