Old 06-23-2008 | 10:01 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

+1
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2008 | 10:09 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

pshh who needs one of those big messy things? When mine caught on fire I just put it out with my shirt, a bottle of Gatorade, and a Redbull.
Old 06-23-2008 | 10:28 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

they make some that does not hurt electronics and make a mess
Old 06-23-2008 | 10:31 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Default got a 5lb halon unit on ebay for $80.00 shipped

Originally Posted by Clutch10
Good to know. Where do you guys get extinguishers for cars?
a bit lucky on that one, most sell for 125 or more...make sure it's halotron or halon though
Old 06-23-2008 | 10:50 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You can get them from Paragon, pelican, and KLA, as best as I recall, so there are many chopices out there, not to mention Summit and other generalist companies.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:05 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by dillon410021
they make some that does not hurt electronics and make a mess
Halotron and sodium bicarbonate fire extinguishers are safe to use on energized electrical systems and won't do damage. Halotron doesn't leave any residue, sodium bicarbonate leaves little to no residue as well. Both Halotron and sodium bicarbonate extinguishers are rated BC.

Originally Posted by spammajamma
a bit lucky on that one, most sell for 125 or more...make sure it's halotron or halon though
Halon has been banned for new production in the States since 1994, but reuse is permitted (Halon is completely banned from use in the UK). Halotron is the new replacement that doesn't harm the ozone like halon does.

Halotron is overrated and overpriced in my opinion. I don't need a $150 extinguisher when a $25 sodium bicarbonate extinguisher will do the same thing and meet DOT requirements. Kidde only lists their sodium bicarbonate (BC) and mono-ammonium phosphate extinguishers (ABC) as being Bureau of Motor Carriers approved: http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/As...on_Catalog.pdf

I ordered four 2.75# Kidde sodium bicarbonate extinguishers last night after a buddy of mine had an alternator fire yesterday afternoon.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:52 AM
spammajamma
Pro

Default Well aware of the issues witn the halon extinguishers

Originally Posted by CurtP
Halotron and sodium bicarbonate fire extinguishers are safe to use on energized electrical systems and won't do damage. Halotron doesn't leave any residue, sodium bicarbonate leaves little to no residue as well. Both Halotron and sodium bicarbonate extinguishers are rated BC.

Halon has been banned for new production in the States since 1994, but reuse is permitted (Halon is completely banned from use in the UK). Halotron is the new replacement that doesn't harm the ozone like halon does.

Halotron is overrated and overpriced in my opinion. I don't need a $150 extinguisher when a $25 sodium bicarbonate extinguisher will do the same thing and meet DOT requirements. Kidde only lists their sodium bicarbonate (BC) and mono-ammonium phosphate extinguishers (ABC) as being Bureau of Motor Carriers approved: http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/As...on_Catalog.pdf

I ordered four 2.75# Kidde sodium bicarbonate extinguishers last night after a buddy of mine had an alternator fire yesterday afternoon.
and have heard that the halotron versions are not as effective as halon models but I've heard of major issues with the after effects of dry chem extinguishers.
Some listers have gone as far as recommending getting rid of the car as soon as possible due to the electrical systems going bad from the oxidizing effects on the wiring/contacts
But to each his own, any extinguisher is better than none at all
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:55 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by PEvans
Fire extinguisher recommendations??
If you just want a small one to stick in the hatch/trunk, etc., you can get them at marine supply shops (WestMarine, BoatersWorld, etc.).
Old 06-24-2008 | 12:59 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by spammajamma
and have heard that the halotron versions are not as effective as halon models but I've heard of major issues with the after effects of dry chem extinguishers.
Some listers have gone as far as recommending getting rid of the car as soon as possible due to the electrical systems going bad from the oxidizing effects on the wiring/contacts
But to each his own, any extinguisher is better than none at all
Monoammonium phosphate extinguishers leave a sticky residue. Sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate do not. The downside is that they're only rated for BC fires, but those are really the biggest concerns in a vehicle.

Halotron is a vaporizing liquid. They're just too expensive, so people will buy too small of an extinguisher to try to keep the cost down. A 1# bottle just isn't going to cut it, IMO.

And I agree - at least to a point, that any extinguisher is better than none at all. The exception is for those who mount it out of reach! It doesn't do you any good if you can't get to it quickly. It irritates me to no end to see an extinguisher mounted on the passenger side A-pillar or in the hatch/trunk. And I think that you should practice an engine compartment fire drill on a regular basis so you instinctively know where your extinguisher is located, how to release it from the mount and use it. I also recommend mounting fire extinguishers in all your vehicles the same way (location, placement of the release, nozzle position, etc).
Old 06-24-2008 | 01:02 PM
azmi951
Drifting

I have a friend who is a fire fighter in the air force. He told me all the halon/halitron extinguishers are no good for saving your car. They do not prevent re ignition, do not provide a vapor barrier and the gas blows away in a matter of a few seconds. Foam is the best for fuel fires because it traps the fuel vapors and cools the source of ignition.

I carry a Kidde 2 liter foam BC extinguisher on a bracket by the passengers feet. I would not worry about electrical problems in a 12 volt car. Electrical rating on extinguishers is for higher voltages.
Old 06-24-2008 | 01:08 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I've got a small Halon extenguisher, but I'm seriously considering one of the Paragon fire systems (rechargable, foam, 1.5L) for $400-$500.00
Old 06-25-2008 | 12:33 PM
944CS
Drifting

I got mine from OG Racing, along with the B-K mount
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2008 | 03:43 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Our cars are very prone to fuel fires in the engine compartment. Is a foam extinguisher the best defense?
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:18 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Default Running my car on a hot day I can smell gas fumes

Originally Posted by PEvans
Our cars are very prone to fuel fires in the engine compartment. Is a foam extinguisher the best defense?
coming from the engine compartment, I'd rather be safe than sorry
Old 06-25-2008 | 04:40 PM
944CS
Drifting

other ways to reduce the risk is to reduce underhood temps -you'll prolong the life of everything in the engine bay - which is why I have jet hot 2000 coated my crossover and downpipe, installed a heat shield above the header that also keeps heat out of the coolant pipe, and also installed a heat shield on the turbo hot side...there are other benefits of course related to power

Quick Reply: Everyone Carry a Fire Extinguisher