Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is it the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 AM
Stalzie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it the clutch?

After talking to numerous people of all groups, I still can't figure it out. I would like to try and diagnose/get an idea of what my issue is before I start pullin stuff.
Here is the exact problem:

I am hearing a loud clicking sound from the rear. When the clutch is disengaged whether the car is rolling or not, the clicking sound is NOT present.

When I engage the clutch, no matter what gear, and while I accelerate or deccelerate, the clickin sound is present. The clicking sound gets faster as I accelerate, slows down as I deccelerate.

so.... the clicking sound only happens when the there is power to the rear.

The clutch does feel perfectly fine. This has happened since I first got the car (about a year and a couple months ago), but it was not continuous; now it happenes just about every time I drive. I am thinking it is possibly the clutch.
WHEEL BEARINGS ARE RULED OUT!
Broken springs? I am afraid to drive the car now. I would like to hopefully know what it could be before a possible huge expense might be needed.

Thanks

Dan
Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Not sure about the clutch but it could be your CV joints that need repacked/replaced.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 on cv joints
Old 06-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Trip
Advanced

I am hearing similar clicking/grinding/howling from the rear of the car when on the freeway. When driving around town I hear a buzzing/grinding sound in 1st and 2nd gear if I accelerate and let off the gas as the car slows. I know the left, inner, cv boot is gone and the car is in the shop now getting that replaced but I'm wondering if the CV joint is wrecked also? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CV joints, or possibly transmission failure. When my transmission failed though it sounded like a bearing was always grinding compared to clicking.

I would say check CV's first, then transmission. It does not sound like the clutch
Old 06-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Stalzie
Advanced

If it were the CV joints, the clicking would happen all the time then as long as the car was rolling.... am I right? The clicking sound only happens when the clutch is engaged. Once the clutch is disengaged, the clicking sound is gone.

Thanks again for the ideas everyone.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:29 AM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stalzie
If it were the CV joints, the clicking would happen all the time then as long as the car was rolling.... am I right? The clicking sound only happens when the clutch is engaged. Once the clutch is disengaged, the clicking sound is gone.

Thanks again for the ideas everyone.
So if you're driving with constant throttle(light load on engine - no accel or decel), clutch pedal out, you hear this clicking?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Stalzie
Advanced

yes. constant throttle as well. Constant, accel or decell while clutch is engaged. Once I push the clutch pedal in, the sound goes away.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

cv's. the sound is only present when load is applied and the joint loads up. sounds like a dry/worn cv to me.

Semper fi
Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Clutch10
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar howling noise from my audi, turned out to be the fuel pump

Quick Reply: Is it the clutch?