Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

USAA is low ballin, trying to total, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's with American Express-Progressive. They just wanted proof of mods and replacement costs. This car is insured as any other car. No limits on mileage and a primary car. If it is raced in anything other than a DE event, no collission coverage. Told them the rollbar was for safety and better belts....LOL.

I'm paying what a $50,000 sports would cost in premium. They get their premium as though they were insuring a $50K car. I have five vehicles insured with them and one accident that wasn't my fault in the past five years. Our housesitter stole my Lexus sedan while we were out of town and got into an accident. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. She didn't call when it happened and didn't call the Police. It was a mess. She was fired.

Originally Posted by ehall
What company did you use, George? Is this a policy dictated by the use of the car as a "collector" car or as a primary vehicle? Mileage limits?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, George. I'll look into it. I have a perfect driving record, so I should qualify easily. Thanks again.
E
Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

I used http://www.appraisalgroupofamerica.com/ when my 944S2 caught fire and was declared totaled.

Farmers Ins was triying to give me $6800 and I ended up getting $10,080 and the cost of the Appraisal Group was under $500. It was resolved pretty quickly and they handled the negoitiations.

You can get a free quote through them and a free phone consultation.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me I know how utterly f-ing frusterating this whole ordeal is!!

I am sorry for your loss!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:59 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 308 Posts

USAA, seems to cheap for their customers, but not willing to cough up when theyre responsible. I realize, that many of you, know the ins and outs of the porsche market, and will not pay high dollar for a 951, but a car babied like mine is worth 10k. Regardless of mileage. That engine will see 300k, most anything that wears out has been replaced(pretty much all rubber/plastics). Find a 951 in the kind of shape mine was in with any mileage for less than 10k! Their is also an injury claim, so the lawyer is taking the case pro-bono.

Basically your saying my car is worth thousands less, than low retail??? BS!! I paid 10k, when I bought it from DJ at Don Jackson enterprises. Mostly because they had been maintaining it since the warranty was up. Matter of fact, ive had offers of 10k for my car, but turned them down, because i had just done 9000 in work. Not to mention I never planned on selling my 951.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:13 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tone3721

Basically your saying my car is worth thousands less, than low retail??? BS!! I paid 10k, when I bought it from DJ at Don Jackson enterprises. Mostly because they had been maintaining it since the warranty was up. Matter of fact, ive had offers of 10k for my car, but turned them down, because i had just done 9000 in work. Not to mention I never planned on selling my 951.
So you paid 10k for a high mileage 951 and then had to dump $9k in to it? Damn. Ouch.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:16 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Yeah, 2 years later. Mostly rubber, plastic parts. I live in Phoenix, its very dry here. At first I was takin it to the shop, and they were charging me quite a bit. Got tired of payin for labor towards the end, and finished most of it up myself. One thing in Phoenix with these cars is it doesnt matter how many miles it has, if its been in the desert 20 years, its gonna need most of the maintenance I did. Just because it was driven less, doesnt mean the harsh desert isnt running its course.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed (not stated) value policy for the win! I've got my turbo insured for $17,000.00 AGREED through Allstate. I did have to have the car appraised, (which the PCA does for free, and they send you an amazing document to do so).

if you're a PCA member (which you should do anyway) go to this link: http://www.pca.org/members/valuation.html And fill out the necessary info. in the next couple of days, they'll send you documents with 32 data points or more of what typically a car similar to yours is valued at. I was expecting that to come back around 12K for my turbo S with 81K on the clock, and it came back closer to $18K! so that's what my car is insured for.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

USAA, seems to cheap for their customers, but not willing to cough up when theyre responsible. I realize, that many of you, know the ins and outs of the porsche market, and will not pay high dollar for a 951, but a car babied like mine is worth 10k. Regardless of mileage. That engine will see 300k, most anything that wears out has been replaced(pretty much all rubber/plastics). Find a 951 in the kind of shape mine was in with any mileage for less than 10k! Their is also an injury claim, so the lawyer is taking the case pro-bono.
USAA is a GREAT insurance company... When you are the insured. if you are a claimant, you've got a battle on your hands. but this is in pretty much ANY situation with ANY ins. company. I see the insurance replacement rental car side of things. the insureds, everything is ALWAYS up to date. no hassel. Claimants, I have to constantly poke and prod USAA for an extension. often they will throw up a last day before the repairs are even completed, leading to more frustration for the renter.

Basically, the job of the claims department is to punch numbers, and make sure that repairs are done as cheaply as possible. if it gets too much, it's a total loss. as far as that goes, the insureds pay their salary, and USAA is known for having the best customer service of all insurance companies. They plan to keep it that way, so they bend over backwards for those who pay them. They seem to see claimants as a bunch of "mooches".

Just my observations working in the industry. good luck.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

I had a similar experience with USAA last year. I had a 93 Bmw 318is, of which I did a full M3 conversion to. That includes the M3 engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, bumpers, interior...etc. I later went on to heavily modify the stock M3 suspension. A few days after I had it fully sorted , I was rear ended. And of course, this was on a Thursday before a Sunday AutoX.

How much did they pay me? $3500. They told me I should have had the car appraised.

No use arguing with them. I bought the car from USAA, and parted it out to get my money back. I used the extra cash to buy a 951 No hard feelings
Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Yeah the "mooch" theory, seems to be about par for the course. I am pca member, Ill look into that now, thanks.
Thanks to everyone who has offered some insight. At this point, it seems Im going to fix it myself out of my own pocket, and let my lawyer take it out of their asses. Once we settle, on both property, and injury claim, Im thinking about putting the money towards buying a 930. Never been a fan of rear engine tho. Maybe a lotus, or 348 gts.
Unfortunately for them.....I will argue with them. They cant expect, to give me some low *** number, and me put in free labor, parting or restoring. This should be there headache not mine. There is no way Ill go out of my way to get them a cheap deal.....They hit me, I did not hit them! Time for them to take responsibility for what theyre paid to do! The car is worth more than 6k! If they had been reasonable, and just fixed it for the estimated 6k plus supplemental, Id be happy. Even tho a salvage title would suck. Why should I have to fix theyre mistakes???????

Last edited by tone3721; 06-21-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

When I bought my car back from USAA, it did not have a salage title. I looked it up on carfax, and the accident didnt even appear... months later.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Blueman33
Pro

I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES.

Having said that, there is an EASY SIMPLE SOLUTION to this problem, though a little late for tone, AND as much as I totally hate insurance companies, $6000 for a 200,000 mile car is a not a bad offer....since book value is what you insured it for.

You insure a 200,000 mile '64 VW. Insurance company looks at the book of $644 value and charge you $60 per year.

Great........but the insurance company is charging you a rate comensorate with book value, not ANY value.

I put a custom engine, $5000, all chrome $2000, turbo charge kit $4000, $7000 custom paint job, and $2000 tires and rims, $2500 stereo and it's totalled.

You want $23,144, but you only paid coverage for $644, which is what the company wants to pay.

We have a problem.

The problem is the insured paid for book value coverage when the car is worth more.

EASY TO FIX. AS WITH ALL CARS THAT HAVE A DIFFERENCE IN BOOK VALUE COMPARED TO THEIR MARKET VALUE OR THEIR 'RESTORED VALUE', YOU AGREE ON THE VALUE OF THE POLICY BEFORE THE INSURANCE COMPANY QUOTES YOU.....ON...THE...BOOK...VALUE.

Several companies do this.

My 951 bought for $8500 is covered for $14,000 and likely has a book of $4000. Le-Land West is my company.

Again, I totally feel for you, but the insurance company did not know and expect you to put in all that money without telling them.

Le-Land West.

Last edited by Blueman33; 06-21-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:55 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

My insurance company has nothing to do with this. The other driver was at fault. What difference does it make what I pay for insurance? Im not at fault. My attorney agrees.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 AM
1fastmr2
Instructor

alright theres really no nice way to say this so i hope you dont take offense.10k for a 200k mile car is out of this world.Maintained or not,there was a nice looking 87 951 with 180ish k miles with maint records that sat for awhile @ 5000 or so.I've bought and sold MANY of pcars and woudlnt sink that sort of cheese into one if my life depended on it.you gotta look at it from their side also.If they went around paying out what every tom dick and harry "thought" their car was worth they would go out of business.People dont really realize actual real world value on their car because theres some what of a emotional attachment to it and they jsut get used to the flaws.ANNNYWAYS that being said you might squeze another G or two out of them but if you can get 7-8k id take it and run.Just like you should have done with the 10k offer you got before
Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

They wont budge past 6k. The problem is that most people would rather not argue, and just settle and get it over with. Insurance companies bank on this. Well, Im not one of those people, well see what the judge has to say.

Quick Reply: USAA is low ballin, trying to total, any suggestions?