strange timingbelt issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:07 AM
newkie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange timingbelt issue

So

I checked the timing on my car the other day. i realized it was of by two teeth. Hmm.. thats strange since the car has been runing fine i thought to myself.

So il lined up the marks perfect. all 3 marks are lined up. check the pictures under the the text in the post in link below. didn't get a good pic of the flywheel window so i made a picture of how it stands...

http://www.944sverige.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16018

Happy with the job i tried to start the car. Thinking well it has been runing a little strange sometimes, and maby this will solve the exhaust value problems i have had. now the car runs like ****.

And when i say run i mean that it hardly runs, more likes its firing on a cylinder now and then as I crank it. There are no vacumleaks. And I checken that the cylinder is at TDC by sticking a pencil in the sparkplug hole. The valves are closed on cylinder 1 and 2 (Firing order). What could be wrong?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to get too basic here, but are the plug wires re-installed correctly?
Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newkie
So

I checked the timing on my car the other day. i realized it was of by two teeth. Hmm.. thats strange since the car has been runing fine i thought to myself.

So il lined up the marks perfect. all 3 marks are lined up. check the pictures under the the text in the post in link below. didn't get a good pic of the flywheel window so i made a picture of how it stands...

Happy with the job i tried to start the car. Thinking well it has been runing a little strange sometimes, and maby this will solve the exhaust value problems i have had. now the car runs like ****.

And when i say run i mean that it hardly runs, more likes its firing on a cylinder now and then as I crank it. There are no vacumleaks. And I checken that the cylinder is at TDC by sticking a pencil in the sparkplug hole. The valves are closed on cylinder 1 and 2 (Firing order). What could be wrong?
When you say "all 3 marks", please tell me you don't mean the 2 balance rollers and the timing gear.

Don't crank your car over again until you learn what you are doing.
You do not time your engine by setting TDC with a pencil.
You use either the window at the top, or the window at the bottom to align the flywheel marks.

I hope you didn't bend any intake valves, because that was truely a knucklehead move, dude.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by special tool
When you say "all 3 marks", please tell me you don't mean the 2 balance rollers and the timing gear.

Don't crank your car over again until you learn what you are doing.
You do not time your engine by setting TDC with a pencil.
You use either the window at the top, or the window at the bottom to align the flywheel marks.

I hope you didn't bend any intake valves, because that was truely a knucklehead move, dude.
Well, ofc i didn't set the engine to TDC with a pencil, i just had to check to be sure, since all marks line up and the car runs like ****...... if you take a look at the thread again and follow the link i posted there are pics of all the three marks Flywheel under the car flywheel om the back of the engine was hard to take a pic of so a drew it...

Edit: Just noticed that 944sverige has changed so you have to log in to read it... However the marks i refer to are OFC the right ones. Noone is stupid enough to set TDC with a pencil or from the marks on the ballanceshafts....
Old 06-01-2008, 02:08 PM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpideySlave944
Not to get too basic here, but are the plug wires re-installed correctly?
I think they are right

Cylinders

Distributor

4 2
3 1
Old 06-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 PM
newkie
Instructor

ok thanks mate...
Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by SpideySlave944
Am I missing it, or does this chart not actually show the firing order?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So

So how many times did you turn the engine manually and re-check all marks before starting?
Btw The mark on bottom of flywheel is not so accurate as the one on top of clutch housing.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
newkie
Instructor

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
So how many times did you turn the engine manually and re-check all marks before starting?
Btw The mark on bottom of flywheel is not so accurate as the one on top of clutch housing.
I usualy turn it over 2 full turns when i do something with the timing belt and recheck... Why?

I only use the one under the car to zero in on TDC. I use the one at the back for the final adjustment.

Love your avatar BTW, Flåklypa GP right?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Am I missing it, or does this chart not actually show the firing order?
I'm still trying to figure what he meant in the post above 'cylinders- 1342'? It's easy to get two cylinders crossed and I have done it myself, and yes it will run...but sounds like crap. The pic shows the distributor from the front with No. 1 at the bottom right; clockwise rotation gives you the firing order. Is it too much for Bosch to mark them on the cap?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

I usualy turn it over 2 full turns when i do something with the timing belt and recheck... Why?

I only use the one under the car to zero in on TDC. I use the one at the back for the final adjustment.

Love your avatar BTW, Flåklypa GP right?
just asking if you turned the engine manually and re-checked the marks . You could be 1 - 2 tooth off if the belt had some slack one or the other way when mounting. A bit basic question , sorry

Yes its from Flåklypa grand prix ( Pinchcliffe Grand Prix ) and a picture of Blodstrupmoen he he . Great movie ..
Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 AM
newkie
Instructor

just asking if you turned the engine manually and re-checked the marks . You could be 1 - 2 tooth off if the belt had some slack one or the other way when mounting. A bit basic question , sorry

Yes its from Flåklypa grand prix ( Pinchcliffe Grand Prix ) and a picture of Blodstrupmoen he he . Great movie ..
It sure is a greate movie
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

what have you been taking apart when doing this?
if turning the engine so that mark on cam gear align up perfect how would mark on top of clutch housing be then?

Your pictures posted @ 944sverige

Old 06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
newkie
Instructor

what have you been taking apart when doing this?
if turning the engine so that mark on cam gear align up perfect how would mark on top of clutch housing be then?

Your pictures posted @ 944sverige

The picture i made in PSP that also is posted on 944sverige the one at the top is how my flywheel lined up in the little window...

Quick Reply: strange timingbelt issue