Is it okay to MIX OIL ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brrt50cal
I never understand why people want to belittle technicians like they're a bunch of knuckle draggers. A good percentage of them are extremely well trained and have more mechanical skills than most people would ever dream of. I just finished my technician certification not too long ago and it's not a walk in the park, let me assure you.
OKAY, let's be honest!
You and I have HUGE amounts of knuckle scar tissue!
However....
YEP!
Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
OKAY, let's be honest!
You and I have HUGE amounts of knuckle scar tissue!
However....
YEP!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
George D
Drifting

I think the refrence was to the the quick lube joints. Not a professional. Congrats on getting certified. I've used good professional technicians on all my cars for the past 25 years. Don't get wrong, I can turn a wrench. I just don't have the time and my skills are lacking as compared to a professional.

George

I never understand why people want to belittle technicians like they're a bunch of knuckle draggers. A good percentage of them are extremely well trained and have more mechanical skills than most people would ever dream of. I just finished my technician certification not too long ago and it's not a walk in the park, let me assure you.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:01 PM
George D
Drifting

I'm feeling a little emotional, but my father in law was in the auto industry as a tech for over 40 years. We used to work on cars together, build RC planes, and whatever moved under power. He died a few years ago and gave me all his Snap-on tools in his will. I have to turn a wrench every now and then to use 1/100th of his gift. When my car is back from San Diego, the local Tucson guys will be here tuning, fixin, and just having fun using his tools. Whatever you need, it's there. It's an amazing collection and I just installed AC in my garage!!!

Have a great weekend!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:28 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
I think the refrence was to the the quick lube joints. Not a professional. Congrats on getting certified. I've used good professional technicians on all my cars for the past 25 years. Don't get wrong, I can turn a wrench. I just don't have the time and my skills are lacking as compared to a professional.

George
Thank you George. He referenced the "clowns at the dealership" which I'm assuming he meant the Porsche dealership.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:42 PM
George D
Drifting

You have got to consider that the dealership technicians are usually fairly new, as the better technicians get their own shops. The new technicians are used to the newer cars. I don't believe they get much training on our old cars. Also, if your car is not stock, many dealership techs don't want to work on the car. When they look under my hood at a PCA DE, or PCA event, many don't have a clue as to what is lurking under the hood. They recognize the valve cover though. Now that I've build this 3.0 motor with stand alone, they will really be out of their element.

I'm lucky to have a few great guys that are into 951's here in Tucson, two are engineering students at the U of A, and one is a engineering grad working for the mining industry. Jeremy is just 2 hours away, and he knows these cars as well as anyone I know.

I can't wait to get my car back from San Diego. We just got the TEC GT stand alone installed and the car is running once again.

Guess I took this OT...sorry.

George

Thank you George. He referenced the "clowns at the dealership" which I'm assuming he meant the Porsche dealership.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:47 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

If any of you think the 951s are difficult try working on Audis every day.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:56 PM
George D
Drifting

I had a 2000S4. Nightmare for me after some mods. Great car when running. Sold it after one year of ownership. They went NA for a reason in the S4. My old 951 motor with 430whp spanked even the ones with $25K in mods though. This was not from a start, but once moving......

Originally Posted by badass951
If any of you think the 951s are difficult try working on Audis every day.

Quick Reply: Is it okay to MIX OIL ?