Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Knock - where to look first

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock - where to look first

Just got back from Watkins glen having done a 2 day DE there. The car ran great until 30 miles out from home whan a knocking sound started when accelerating. The sound eminates from the rear and can be (almost) eliminated by getting the RPM to about 2500. Push harder than that and it goes knock knock knock. If I rev it there is no knocking.

I did a quick check of the exhaust and all seems well. where should I look first???? (just off for tea so hopefully some suggestions by the time I get back)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An easy one would be to check all of the flange bolts at either end of the axles.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
An easy one would be to check all of the flange bolts at either end of the axles.
Yep, +1
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
2bridges
Drifting

As stated - definately look at CV bolts - they get loose
Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 PM
DanR
Drifting

anyone got a picture to illustrate where?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 PM
2bridges
Drifting

crawl under car and look at the axles - follow each end (one to trans other to wheel). Each end you will find cheeshead bolts - those are want you want to check and snug up as needed.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
DanR
Drifting

thanks for the pics, will check them out over the weekend!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You'll probably need a cheese head bit (tripple square) - you should be able to pick one up at Sears or NAPA.

BTW, how did you like the Glen?
Old 05-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
crawl under car and look at the axles - follow each end (one to trans other to wheel). Each end you will find cheeshead bolts - those are want you want to check and snug up as needed.
doode....ur exhaust is missing
Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 AM
DanR
Drifting

I loved the glen, great track and the 951 seemed very well suited to it. The Wednesday was fairly quiet however Thursday was much busier as the racers came into town for the weekend. That livened things up especially when they were 4 abreast down the main straight into T1
Old 05-31-2008, 03:31 PM
DanR
Drifting

OK, so i checked the flange bolts on the axles and indeed 2 were almost completely out and 2 were loose on the drivers side. I tightened them back up and went out for a test drive however the knocking is still there.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:30 PM
George D
Drifting

When I tighten the cheese heads, I use whiteout to mark after torque to specs. Makes it much easier to see if they are backing out. This little tip is from Sean. I blew mine out after a full day session. Now I just look to make sure that they are still at specs.

George
Old 05-31-2008, 05:13 PM
DanR
Drifting

ok, a bit more of an update....... when i latterally push or pull the passenger side axle there is very little play however when I do it to the drivers side there is significantly more latteral play. The actual axle where it mounts to the transaxle also moves about 2 mm. What do you guys think? possible new axle required?

what should I do next, remove the axle (which I have never done before but I am game).???
Old 05-31-2008, 06:25 PM
George D
Drifting

Sounds like you need new axles. This is exactly what happened to me. Don't forget the whiteout after tqed down. You can also rebuild them. Someone here knows of a source for stronger axles, but the stock ones for most folks seem fine.

Originally Posted by DanR
ok, a bit more of an update....... when i latterally push or pull the passenger side axle there is very little play however when I do it to the drivers side there is significantly more latteral play. The actual axle where it mounts to the transaxle also moves about 2 mm. What do you guys think? possible new axle required?

what should I do next, remove the axle (which I have never done before but I am game).???
Old 05-31-2008, 06:28 PM
George D
Drifting

Take them out. You will need a pry bar if you have a tranny cooler. At least I did. It's not that bid a deal. Clean out the old grease, reapply new and reinstall new axles. TQ to specs and don't forget the whiteout marks.

George

Originally Posted by DanR

Quick Reply: Knock - where to look first