Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Newbie Considering DE - what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Newbie Considering DE - what do I need to know?

The more time I spend with my 951 and on this site (and others), the more I am intrigued by the idea of DE (or other similar activities). I am a complete neophyte, but have always had a little voice in the back of my head saying that I need to learn how to really drive a car

However, as a my knowledge is non-existent, I hoping that a few of you can provide some context. I expect to attend a couple of nearby events (Calabogie and Mont-Tremblant) as a spectator this year, but questions such as:
  • What do I need to do first? (e.g. do I need to get some sort of minimum training/license)
  • What is a minimum annual expenditure? What is typical? I can wrench a bit and am willing to learn to do more complex repairs.
  • To do it right, how many hours a year should be devoted to it? (I realize this is subjective)
  • As my car is essentially stock, where should I invest in upgrades?
  • What is the likelyhood that I will seriously damage the car at some point?
  • How streetable will my car be if I go this route?
  • What are common mistakes made by newbies?

I am sure the list of questions is infinite, but at this point I am trying to figure out if this is something that I want to/can reasonable do next year.

The Rennlisters collective thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you afford to drive it off a cliff?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Yes, I can. I would actually consider getting another car - maybe an S2 or something like that to use as a DE car.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM
sweanders
Race Director

If you have never been on a track go out for rides with instructors first time.

Second time take your street car out with an instructor in the passenger seat.

Then make a decision on further plans, make a goal of where you want to be in a year.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Btw, if you like it it will cost all your money. If you get addicted it will cost more.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

I guess I will have to sell the TR6... it already costs me all my remaining money
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

to answer your questions:

* What do I need to do first? (e.g. do I need to get some sort of minimum training/license)
- register, pay the fee (~$200-$400 normally), and get your car inspected by a mechanic (group will provide a checklist)

* What is a minimum annual expenditure? What is typical? I can wrench a bit and am willing to learn to do more complex repairs.

- minimum would be the registration fees, plus a helmet ($200-$400), and additional wear & tear on brakes & tires (not extreme, but noticeable)

* To do it right, how many hours a year should be devoted to it? (I realize this is subjective)

- entirely depends on your budget & time constraints. some people only do one event every few years, some do one a year, some go 52x a year.

* As my car is essentially stock, where should I invest in upgrades?

seat time - do your first event in a stock car with street tires - you'll learn the most, and have the minimum investment before you know what you're into.

* What is the likelyhood that I will seriously damage the car at some point?

honestly it's quote low... but there is always a risk. if you can't afford to 'write off' your car, don't do it, but you should be able to do a lifetime of DE without ever 'wrecking' a car.

* How streetable will my car be if I go this route?

it's entirely up to you. some guys have 100% dedicated 'track cars', while some people are driving their cars just as they came from the showroom. I'd say it's probably 1/3 'track cars', 1/3 'lightly modified' and 1/3 'showroom stock' at a typical event.

* What are common mistakes made by newbies?

- I know mine was showing up in shorts & a t-shirt. long sleeves & long pants are required (a long-sleeve tshirt and jeans is typical). Everyone will make the same driving mistakes (lifting in a corner, early apex, etc.), but your instructor will help you through those.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Fergus..., not sure what group interest you (you didn't say, so I assume Porsche Club)....?

Join PCA, the actual DE events cost less for members and you'll save the membership fee at your first DE.

Your region is either Upper Canada or Zone 1, you can find it here at the bottom of the list -

http://www.pca.org/regions/regions.asp?Zone=1

Check your specific region's website for specifics but basically, you'll need to have your car tech inspected by a shop recognized by your region (usually a list).
Pads, tires, etc., naturally need to be in good working order, wheels properly torqued and your brake fluid recently flushed.

Some regions require a small, not really detailed medical form to be filled out also.

Print them both as hard copy and bring them with you.

You might find the 'DE Chairperson' contact listed at your home region site and it may be a good idea to contact them weeks prior and explain that you're new so they can pre-assign a certain instructor that may be better with green students.

Expect the day to start with a brief classroom orientation on the basics usually with a track map as an aid.

The day will alternate between 20-30 minute track sessions with instructor and short classroom briefings as you progress.

You'll remain in a green group until instructors feel you're ready to advance to a level beyond basic, i.e, maybe learning a track line more oriented to racing than DE, learning to heel/toe, etc.

Best recommendation is to drive at a pace that you can comfortably remain consistent and follow instructor's commands and you'll be on your way.....

After you pry the grin off your face when you realize the potential and grip your car really has, even with just good street tires......start stripping out weight or land a second dedicated track car....

T
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the best advice is do nothing yet. Go along to your next local PCA DE and as said go out for an instructor ride and then go out in green group. You car is incredibly capable even in stock form and will probably be a lot faster than you are to start. As you grow the beauty of the 951 is that it can grow along with you. Then it can get expensive but it all depends how hard the bug gets you.

Just make sure it is well maintained and all should be good

Remember, the track is where it belongs and comes alive!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Newbie perspective

Newbie perspective. First DE about three weeks ago in my 951. PCA member (not active) for 15 years. DO IT. Check out your local club, typically free track inspection, which is a great safety review then attend the DE. You will meet everything from racers to part timers, mostly nice porsche enthusiasts eager to share their experience. You don't, at some point, wish you did it 15 years ago!

Safety inspection only, dont worry about upgrades. The bug will bite, I can give you an idea of how hard.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some good reading that will answer many of your questions:
Potomac DE Handbook
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Pads with good life, fresh fluid, no leaks, and good tires. Have fun!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the practical feedback. I am a PCA member so I will take full advantage of that.

This year will be a learn about it year and I will make a decision in the fall. It sure sounds like a ton of fun and a great way to meet people with similar interests.

Disasterman, I can only aspire to having a garage like yours when the bug bites... which it already has

Quick Reply: Newbie Considering DE - what do I need to know?