Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does valves and pistons meeting always cause bending?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does valves and pistons meeting always cause bending?

The stud for the tbelt tensioner snapped on me recently. i got the head off and all intake valves are bent and stuck open. The exhaust valves are closed but the tops of the pistons indicate the exhaust valves did kiss the pistons. If the exhaust valves made contact does it always mean they got bent or can they escape bending even though there appears to have been some contact? I poured a bit of water into the exhaust ports over night to see if theyt would leak but doesn't appear to be any leakage.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:20 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if they aren't leaking they aren't bent
Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And if they are bent, they will leak.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

We have seen examples of exhaust valve/piston kiss and able to re-use them. Don't ask me how??
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest a trip to Vegas bc you are lucky. Bruce
Old 05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpine951
The stud for the tbelt tensioner snapped on me recently. i got the head off and all intake valves are bent and stuck open. The exhaust valves are closed but the tops of the pistons indicate the exhaust valves did kiss the pistons. If the exhaust valves made contact does it always mean they got bent or can they escape bending even though there appears to have been some contact? I poured a bit of water into the exhaust ports over night to see if theyt would leak but doesn't appear to be any leakage.
Could be from prior t belt faliures.

My Gf's car had valve marks on the pistons from valves that were perfectly fine. Happened before our time.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
We have seen examples of exhaust valve/piston kiss and able to re-use them. Don't ask me how??
Same for me, as when I first overhauled my engine which had never had the head off I found a couple of very light valve Kiss marks on the pistons. The valves checked perfectly good and the compression prior to tear down was near perfect. I don't have a clue how they could have hit the pistons hard enough to leave even a tiny mark without bending but they did.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 AM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

Try using a solvent instead of water. Water has surface tension and that can mislead you to thinking that the valve is sealing when it is not. I recommend brake clean or carb clean for this. You can also use gasoline or something like that. Solvents are also thinner than water. Water tight doesn't always mean air tight.

Also, steel does have some spring to it, and if the piston to valve contact was extremely light, the valve may have sprung back to it's original position after contact. If that's the case, I agree with F18Rep, and you should take a trip to Vegas.

Ian
Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a recent experience of severe valve kiss on two cylinders. It was caused by severe overheating and loss of lubrication. The exhaust valve guides had tightened and the valves were sticking. Despite the severe kiss, valves were not bent, I simply had to ream the valve guides and re-cut the seats. I had to replace one of the valves that was burnt.

Any issues with the valves will be revealed when you seat/bed the valves. If everything is seating correctly there will be a clean ring of even width where the valve is seating.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Does valves and pistons meeting always cause bending?