Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can somone explain camber plates to me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Can somone explain camber plates to me?

I would like to put some adjustable camber plates on my car. I had a lot of camber on the front wheels but it was eating through tires. I would like to be able to adjust it for autocross and then set it back for street driving.

What do you have to do to adjust it with camber plates? Does the front end need to be jacked up? I dont really get how they work

Are these any good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MK1-P...mZ370052270203

I dont think I want to shell out 450 for the lindsey racing ones. Are there any other options?

Thanks guys
Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I always thought that you just loosened the four bolts at the top and physically moved the strut according to the degree markings on the plate. Good question about jacking the car up or not tho. I don't have any real experience with these so take this with a grain of salt. I'll check back here to read the answers!

-Darwin
Old 05-25-2008, 12:16 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Thanks Darwin. I would think that it would be hard to move the strut with the weight on it, but I really dont have to great of an understanding of suspension so I could be totally wrong
Old 05-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I think what you mean is you had a lot of NEGATIVE camber, and you were eating through front tires.

Those camber plates are crap, I have seen them in person, they come with no instructions and cheap hardware. If you look at good camber plates they have the degrees marked on them, these just have random cheap *** marks scribed.

If you want camber plates for cheap, find someone who is selling used ones. Also, camber plates will add ~7/8" to your front suspension, so if you don't have height adjustable front struts you will need lowering spring to retain your front ride height.

The only point of camber plates is if you track your daily driver, so you can easily switch back and forth. When the tires are warm enough and have the correct pressure, having negative camber will not eat your tires like crazy.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:24 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought it. I'll let you know.

But also, there's a new topic on here about this same part from about a month ago.

Search.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airflite40
I think what you mean is you had a lot of NEGATIVE camber, and you were eating through front tires.
It's actually not the extra camber that eats your tires. What happens is that most people just dump in -3deg camber, but don't realise that when you add -camber, the toe automatically comes out. The extra toe is actually what eats away at the inside of your tires.

I have run -3.2deg camber for 2+ year on the street, but I zero'd out the toe. Inside wear is negligable. However I do track/autocross frequently.

Those camber plates are crap, I have seen them in person, they come with no instructions and cheap hardware. If you look at good camber plates they have the degrees marked on them, these just have random cheap *** marks scribed.
Actually, that's not entirely true. No camber plate can have accurate degrees marked on them, because as you change the ride height, the translated degrees would be altered as well. Where it's etched at -3deg camber on a stock car, would actually be -3.5deg on my lowered car. Non-labelled notches are better, as they are meant to be used as reference points only.

The real determining factor of the quality of a camber plate lies in the bearing used to support the shock. What kind of bearing is it? Is there a dust cover? Does it raise the ride height? How heavy is the unit? Can you mount a strut brace on top of it?

If you want camber plates for cheap, find someone who is selling used ones. Also, camber plates will add ~7/8" to your front suspension, so if you don't have height adjustable front struts you will need lowering spring to retain your front ride height.
Depends on which camber plates. The flats ones DO raise the car. The weltmeisters, dynatech, and a couple others do not. This is not an issue on an adjustable ride-height shock - although you do lose shock travel by lowering the ride height.

The only point of camber plates is if you track your daily driver, so you can easily switch back and forth. When the tires are warm enough and have the correct pressure, having negative camber will not eat your tires like crazy.
It's actually nothing to do with the tires being warm - it's all to do with the fact that if you have STOCK camber at autox/track, in a left turn (for example) the car will LEAN over unto the outside edge of the right tires, and you will wear the **** out of the shoulders, and not use the inside of the tire. If you add negative camber, you get more even contact patch under heavy cornering, and therefore more even wear.

Camber/Alignment determines the location of the contact patch across the tire tread.

Tire pressure determines correct wear across that contact patch.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I have those cheap ones they seem fine to me not in yet . I'm considering mounting them above the body to get that shock travel back but i will use m10 bolts (maybe 6 of them) and stiffener plate to stop them punching though .
i believe you can a just them with the car on the ground with a big screw driver . I will put reference marks on mine with them installed.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Some people also use Toe out for turn in, but assuming you have some track tyres you shouldn't see too much wear if you're only using them for those days, then back to your streeters. Worth spending the money on getting a 2nd set of wheels and tyres if you don't have them. It will save you money in the long run.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:21 AM
HansB
Pro

Rich is quite correct.

Some added notes:

Good top mount plates do make camber adjustment a lot more accurate then the OEM excenters

Top mount camber plates do have the advantage that the effect on changing camber to the toe in is limited. We tested it on my car, and adjusting the camber with 0.5 degree only changes the toe in with 0.1 degree, for each tire. Unlucky for quick street-to-track adjustment this is in the wrong direction: More negative camber is more negative toe-in, and for track use you would want a bit of positive toe-out for easier turn-in behavior.

For track use, you would more often then not want a asymmetrical camber set-up: Depending on the direction of the circuit, CW or CCW, you would get more left or right turns, and you would want the wheel that carries most of the load to have more negative camber.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:01 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Hans, our main circuit in Sydney is 7 left and 4 right hand corners. For this I think a fairly even amount both sides is probably OK. Having said that, you could get really particular and figure out what sort of load and camber these corners are respectively and maybe adjust accordingly?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those looking to calculate, heres a excel spreadsheet I stumbled upon sometime ago. Loaded with chassis information..etc. Since it is probably long since lost in some thread I'll post it here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
chassis 951a.zip (102.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-25-2008, 10:09 AM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hans, our main circuit in Sydney is 7 left and 4 right hand corners. For this I think a fairly even amount both sides is probably OK. Having said that, you could get really particular and figure out what sort of load and camber these corners are respectively and maybe adjust accordingly?

Life is simpler than that.

You can after a run check the temperature distribution of the tires. Inside, middle and outside. This will tell you how to adjust the camber.

After a full day, you can also check the wear pattern of the tire. This also can give you information. Last time I did a track day, I had unusual thread wear on my left F tire. Turned out the camber had changed from the 3.5 degrees that are usual on that track, to 2.75.

Finally, you can trust your gut feel. Which are the hard corners, the L or the R? Like the corner you show in your avatar, would be quite a load on your L tire.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:17 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Some really good information, thanks for the replys.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:52 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by HansB
... Some added notes: ...Top mount camber plates do have the advantage that the effect on changing camber to the toe in is limited. We tested it on my car, and adjusting the camber with 0.5 degree only changes the toe in with 0.1 degree, for each tire.
Additional "added note": The amount Toe changes in relation to a Camber change, is dependent on the Caster angle. In English, if you run a lot of Caster, the amount Toe increases when Camber is increased is greater than if you run small Caster angles.

Quick Reply: Can somone explain camber plates to me?