Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PS pulley (on crank) came off... AC pulley (on crank) wobbles... gauge now shows no

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PS pulley (on crank) came off... AC pulley (on crank) wobbles... gauge now shows no

gauge now shows no oil pressure

All four bolts are on the front of the AC pulley and are tight but I wonder if they're broken off?

Would the pulley still wobble if none of those four bolts are broken but the big (24mm I think) bolt that holds the power steering pulley on is out?

Car was fine a second ago, was making idle adjustments on the MAFterburner. Backed out of the driveway and headed down the road maybe 100 feet and heard a tapping noise that was getting louder (now I think it was the PS pulley rocking on the bolt and hitting the AC pulley as the bolt came loose?)

Turned off car and opened the hood, ps pulley was barely hanging on so I pulled it off and the PS belt and went back home.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the crank bolt. 155# of torque. Make sure the PS pulley is on the crank straight. You have to have all the pulleys on so that the washer on the crank bolt can tighten up against the washer that drives the oil pump gear sleeve.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Right, that big bolt that holds the PS pulley on the crank is the one that fell off.. I'm off to buy the socket (in a different car, ofcourse) because I don't have anything that big here, but I do in Great Falls.

I don't understand how it came loose? I'm stunned... I've NEVER removed that bolt on this car, and I'm sure it was fine yesterday before I put the belly pan back on...

My low oil pressure is explained... the oil pump is driven off that pulley rather than straight off the crank..

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
While I was sitting in my driveway trying to figure out how in the world I was going to get my hands on a new engine, I remembered hearing about a guy who lost oil pressure when his crank pulley started to come loose. Sure enough, I popped the hood and the damn thing was loose. I tightened it up, changed the oil to be safe (found NO metal shavings at all in the oil). Sure enough full oil pressure.

I am still peeved that the shop tried to diagnose the problem with the engine running (on next to no oil pressure) before checking the torque on the crank pulley (which apparently drives the oil pump.
Bret- I owe you like my whole car for all the advice you've given me while I'm working on it.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

no problem.

oil pump drive gear sleeve, o-ring, washer, timing gear, BS gear - Alt/AC pulley, PS pulley. bolt size is 24mm.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use a flywheel lock to torque the bolt. At 155ft lbs, it hard to stop the crank from turning.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 05-20-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ski
no problem.

oil pump drive gear sleeve, o-ring, washer, timing gear, BS gear - Alt/AC pulley, PS pulley. bolt size is 24mm.
Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
I alway use a flywheel lock to torque the bolt. At 155ft lbs, it hard to stop the crank from turning.
Just back from getting a 24 mm socket and then FINALLY finding a torque wrench.
What other problems do I need to worry about now?
What keeps the PS pulley centered?
Only the PS pulley and 24mm bolt have been removed; what else on that list could have moved? There is a woodruff key holding everything else on the end of the crankshaft in place, isn't there?
I don't think I can finish this today.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hold the PS pulley with one hand while tightening the bolt/washer with the socket and an extension. The PS pulley fits tight on the front of the crank, you just need to make sure it's straight. If you don't have the flywheel lock, you can use the E brake and someone in the car, on the brakes to get it torqued - but if you have the lock, use it.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

For anyone trying to torque that bolt later on:
Use the FLYWHEEL LOCK...
It's supposed to start raining a bunch this week so I don't want to keep riding my bike while the arnnworx flywheel lock would be in the mail; hence my purchase of the biggest Craftsmen screwdriver that can fit between the flywheel teeth (their pry bars don't look like they'll fit)

Wish me luck.
P.S. Buy a flywheel lock and many other nifty tools here:
http://www.arnnworx.com/
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

hence my purchase of the biggest Craftsmen screwdriver that can fit between the flywheel teeth (their pry bars don't look like they'll fit)
Why not just put the car in 5th gear on the ground and tighten the bolt from the top? Are you afraid of damaging the drive-train, or are you afraid that you won't get an accurate torque?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:57 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Yesterday when I tried to torque the bolt I was still turning the engine, it would move as I torqued and then return as I tried to use the ratcheting on my torque wrench [back end on ground, parking break on, in gear (was in first), friend inside pressing on the brakes]
It was like I was only turning the AC pulley/Alternator--never felt compression changes but could see that belt moving...

I didn't feel safe with it so I bagged it for the night to try the big screwdriver today. (I have it torqued now, never moved today).

Honestly, I still feel like I need to check the timing marks before I drive the poor car. I know there is one on the cam, and know there is one at the bell housing on my 944 n/a but need to search a bit and learn where to look on this 951.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set the engine to TDC and check the cam mark.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-13.htm
Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 PM
wolfenstein
Instructor

i locked it with an allen wrench w/out removing the starter
Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ski
check the crank bolt. 155# of torque. Make sure the PS pulley is on the crank straight. You have to have all the pulleys on so that the washer on the crank bolt can tighten up against the washer that drives the oil pump gear sleeve.
Just an FYI, you dont need the PS pully in there, it will torque down just fine without it.

Mark
Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by marky522
Just an FYI, you dont need the PS pully in there, it will torque down just fine without it.

Mark
??? Do I have the right pulley? The PS pulley has to go one before the bolt that holds it on.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by porschefig
??? Do I have the right pulley? The PS pulley has to go one before the bolt that holds it on.
Sorry to confuse you, I have converted to manual steering so i didnt reinstall the PS pully, I was simply pointing out that the pully doesnt HAVE to be there for it to torque down properly.

Mark

Quick Reply: PS pulley (on crank) came off... AC pulley (on crank) wobbles... gauge now shows no