Tuner Magazine Covers 951 450+ HP Racecar

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
autobahn_ambition
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. I sent him an email earlier this morning. I will PM you to verify the address.

Thanks, Kevin
Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wanna know the ****tiest part about all of this.

951's rarely get press converage as it is. This is part of the reason. So now "x" writer gets a possible story laid on his desk about this beast of a 944 turbo.

writer/lead-"Would you like to look into this car and see about doing a article on it"?

editor-in-chief"hell no! don't you remember what happened last time we did that"
writer/lead-"oh yeah, I forgot okay lets write up about this badass 911 turbo beast I know about instead"
editor-in-chief-"good and don't ever forget leave the 944 guys in their corner, they aren't mature enough to handle things in private and I can't take the risk of publically damaging our reputation for this publication"
Old 05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Guns951
Race Car

So sad...

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
"good and don't ever forget leave the 944 guys in their corner, they aren't mature enough to handle things in private and I can't take the risk of publically damaging our reputation for this publication"
Old 05-14-2008, 12:33 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

951's rarely get press converage as it is. This is part of the reason. So now "x" writer gets a possible story laid on his desk about this beast of a 944 turbo.

writer/lead-"Would you like to look into this car and see about doing a article on it"?

editor-in-chief"hell no! don't you remember what happened last time we did that"
writer/lead-"oh yeah, I forgot okay lets write up about this badass 911 turbo beast I know about instead"
editor-in-chief-"good and don't ever forget leave the 944 guys in their corner, they aren't mature enough to handle things in private and I can't take the risk of publically damaging our reputation for this publication"

Yep,

Sad , as it is a mag article, not detective work , it is never going to be 100 % accurate unless it is a technical journal and even then still open to interpretation.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Sorry but thats not the page I see when I go to: http://www.autobahnambitionmag.com/ or any of the other links in your 1st post?

There is no login on that page?
Yeah, had the same frustration with Firefox... when i did manage to get something, it was just the old edition. So i tried with IE7 and it worked.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by autobahn_ambition
We are going to pull the article from the issue until it can be updated.

Clearly miscommunications were made. We regret the incident and look forward updating the article in the near future.

Kevin Sims
Please let us know when it is updated and reposted - i was looking forward to reading it.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
George D
Drifting

This is exactly why I posted in a positive light, and attempted to help some folks see that this is just a good article about ONE of our favorite cars. I will guarantee the writer never intended the article to be about the history of this car. It's a Fu**** 1987 951 tub that was turned into a decent race car by folks that saw merit in the platform. Who did what and when was not the real intent of the article. It was a great read and great to see our cars written about in a publication.

It's just sad.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:04 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

There's some important points I think some of you might be missing. Autobahn Ambition is dedicated to producing a quality magazine for the Porsche community. A LOT of work goes into the production of each issue, and all acceptable measures are taken to insure the accuracy of each article. Right down to a disclosure statement by the contributors stating that all the information they submit is true. I don't want this to cause people here to start pointing fingers at any of the car builders, but more importantly don't point fingers at Autobahn Ambition for misrepresenting anything, because that is CLEARLY not the case.

As some of you have stated, this is why a lot of publications have veered away from the 951 community, because one or two people who are 'usually' respected in the community make statements against the publication. In this case there has been no misrepresentation or bias what so ever in this issue, facts are reported exactly as they are received, the editor cannot be held responsible for any miscommunication the person or persons that are the subject of any particular article. I know Kevin personally, and I know he is a man of the highest integrity in his work and mission.

Having said all this, Autobahn Ambition will continue to support and promote the 951 community, it's members and enthusiasts. This is only one community the magazine represents, but equally important as any other Porsche community. This is one of the few publications that work with the older cars, and the publication should be viewed as a contribution to the community.

Regards,
Russell
Old 05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

autobahn_ambition,
Thanks for providing us an awesome magazine. Hopefully this doesn't sour your thoughts and possible future coverage for us 951 owners..

-Rogue
Old 05-14-2008, 03:26 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rberry951
There's some important points I think some of you might be missing. Autobahn Ambition is dedicated to producing a quality magazine for the Porsche community. A LOT of work goes into the production of each issue, and all acceptable measures are taken to insure the accuracy of each article. Right down to a disclosure statement by the contributors stating that all the information they submit is true. I don't want this to cause people here to start pointing fingers at any of the car builders, but more importantly don't point fingers at Autobahn Ambition for misrepresenting anything, because that is CLEARLY not the case.

As some of you have stated, this is why a lot of publications have veered away from the 951 community, because one or two people who are 'usually' respected in the community make statements against the publication. In this case there has been no misrepresentation or bias what so ever in this issue, facts are reported exactly as they are received, the editor cannot be held responsible for any miscommunication the person or persons that are the subject of any particular article. I know Kevin personally, and I know he is a man of the highest integrity in his work and mission.

Having said all this, Autobahn Ambition will continue to support and promote the 951 community, it's members and enthusiasts. This is only one community the magazine represents, but equally important as any other Porsche community. This is one of the few publications that work with the older cars, and the publication should be viewed as a contribution to the community.

Regards,
Russell
amen
Old 05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
...As some of you have stated, this is why a lot of publications have veered away from the 951 community, because one or two people who are 'usually' respected in the community make statements against the publication...
I'm sorry but I don't buy this logic. This logic implies that this is a reoccurring theme with publications and the 951 crowd and to my knowledge it has never happened before. 951s don't get a lot of coverage because they are a niche car with a relatively small audience of enthusiasts. Any publication is going to base what they cover on what the majority of their audience is interested in and unfortunately in the Porsche world that is not 951 racecars - it's 911s. Relatively speaking there is an order of magnitude more 911 enthusiasts than 951 enthusiasts and an order of magnitude more highly developed 911s in existence to write about. Think about it - how many 951 club racecars at this level of development are out there - this car, the Vision Orca car, Landjet’s Vision racecar, Roy Chong’s car, the Rainbow Construction/Norwood/Milledge racecar, and a handful of others? A dozen total maybe? There are more 911 racecars with that level of development at the Mid-Ohio PCA club or NASA GTS race. Heck, you think we have it bad - go talk to the 928 guys.

The other issue is when you write about an iconic racecar such as this, which is well known in the community, then you need to be careful about facts such as who built it - especially when it passed from one builder to another. I guarantee if AA did an article about IMAs 993TT racecar (and for those who haven't seen pics of it - it is waaay badass) and said that Kelly Moss built it, there would be people in the 911 forum or Racing forum who would call them on it. This is not something that is unique to the 951 community; it is something found in any enthusiast community. This is just the nature of the enthusiast community - the community is small enough that everyone tends to know the history's of cars that are unique in terms of development - 951s, 911s, 928s, etc.

That said I would think that AA will just be more careful when the cover a build such as this - regardless of the model - and keep covering what their audience wants to see. Excellence does that, 911 & Porsche World does that - pretty much everyone but Panarama does that - and I don't see what AA would be any different.

All in all, I thought the AA e-pub was very well done. I subscribed and will continue to read them, and would hope all of you will as well, and I’m guessing if the 951 crowd supports AA then I would bet AA will support the 951 crowd.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Well said.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
I'm sorry but I don't buy this logic. This logic implies that this is a reoccurring theme with publications and the 951 crowd and to my knowledge it has never happened before. 951s don't get a lot of coverage because they are a niche car with a relatively small audience of enthusiasts. Any publication is going to base what they cover on what the majority of their audience is interested in and unfortunately in the Porsche world that is not 951 racecars - it's 911s. Relatively speaking there is an order of magnitude more 911 enthusiasts than 951 enthusiasts and an order of magnitude more highly developed 911s in existence to write about. Think about it - how many 951 club racecars at this level of development are out there - this car, the Vision Orca car, Landjet’s Vision racecar, Roy Chong’s car, the Rainbow Construction/Norwood/Milledge racecar, and a handful of others? A dozen total maybe? There are more 911 racecars with that level of development at the Mid-Ohio PCA club or NASA GTS race. Heck, you think we have it bad - go talk to the 928 guys.

The other issue is when you write about an iconic racecar such as this, which is well known in the community, then you need to be careful about facts such as who built it - especially when it passed from one builder to another. I guarantee if AA did an article about IMAs 993TT racecar (and for those who haven't seen pics of it - it is waaay badass) and said that Kelly Moss built it, there would be people in the 911 forum or Racing forum who would call them on it. This is not something that is unique to the 951 community; it is something found in any enthusiast community. This is just the nature of the enthusiast community - the community is small enough that everyone tends to know the history's of cars that are unique in terms of development - 951s, 911s, 928s, etc.

That said I would think that AA will just be more careful when the cover a build such as this - regardless of the model - and keep covering what their audience wants to see. Excellence does that, 911 & Porsche World does that - pretty much everyone but Panarama does that - and I don't see what AA would be any different.

All in all, I thought the AA e-pub was very well done. I subscribed and will continue to read them, and would hope all of you will as well, and I’m guessing if the 951 crowd supports AA then I would bet AA will support the 951 crowd.

I agree 100% of course.
Some of the young guys here don't realize that "editorial" content has a LOT of power....

I am not pointing any finger at Kevin or Prack. We all know who the fibber McGee is here.

On the lghter side, did you guys see my new project car???
Checkit out. I did most of the work on engine, transmission and suspension in my shed, but I needed a little help with the dry sump from the Lindseys.
Link:
http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/en/f1car/tf108.html
Old 05-14-2008, 07:58 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
On the lghter side, did you guys see my new project car???
Checkit out. I did most of the work on engine, transmission and suspension in my shed, but I needed a little help with the dry sump from the Lindseys.
Link:
http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/en/f1car/tf108.html
Is the reason why they can't finish a race because you built it in your tool shed??
Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

"but I needed a little help with the dry sump from the Lindseys"
Ouch....

Quick Reply: Tuner Magazine Covers 951 450+ HP Racecar